Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed pics of new Hardbar/Penske coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Installed pics of new Hardbar/Penske coil-overs

This is our shot at "the best", using a Penske 8700 3 way with VDP's. If you can find a better setup, anywhere, please let me know. We have studied most of the Euro and other brands, and some do some things well, others do other things well. We incorporate the best from the others and incorporate them in this package. These incorporate all of the improvements that we have been showing for a couple of months. They are the product of many, many hours optimizing the mechanical configuration by using specific length bodies, shafts and end attachments so that the tires do not hit the bodywork, and we maximize droop while maintaining spring and CV joint boot clearance.

Front:

Note the rebound adjuster (the set screw near the lower bearing and new super alloy "T" bar. Just insert a ball driver and you have 40 clicks of adjustment. The new T bar is 2x the yield strength of the Penske part and is easily removable for spring changes.

Rear:

Note the setscrew rebound adjuster similar to the front but incorporated into the rear clevis. The quick pin is for ease of spring changes since we will be offering this package to a variety of customers (some lighter and with downforce) and is not planned for production, but is an aid for us to be able to do rapid spring changes.

The new upper mounts eliminate the upper pin top mount with a very solid Hardbar unique mount that has zero slop (US made CNC billet aluminum and SS shoulder bolts) and no threads in shear. It is very quiet with no rattles and very low friction US made Aurora bearings, and is adjustable in 2 axes for spring clearance. These are available separately for other brand shocks. You can also see our stud kit made of the same alloy as the T bar and Pfadt poly bushings.

Front:

Rear:

Mount apart:

Even the small stuff was not overlooked, plastic covered Fragola SS hoses, new high and low speed adjusters, synthetic oil, new easy to adjust spring perches on Acme threads, and every one is dyno tested and the data is included in the purchase.
This setup is available in non-adjustable, single adjustable (with your choice of having the adjuster be bump or rebound), the superb 8300 series doubles, or the top of the line 8700 triple shown here;

Gary

Last edited by ghoffman; 05-12-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:16 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
The quick pin is for ease of spring changes since we will be offering this package to a variety of customers (some lighter and with downforce) and is not planned for production, but is an aid for us to be able to do rapid spring changes.
I'm surprized you don't see that on race cars.

Good idea!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:44 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice set-up!
Old 05-12-2008, 03:32 PM
racerx8
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 47 Posts

As always Gary another first class job from Hardbar.
We'll be talking about some Penskes this summer.
Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

may be this winter for me
Old 05-18-2008, 11:08 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

They work even better than they look. I am frankly amazed how much better they are. I think one thing that is overlooked in the shock discussion is that the better shocks like these have a wider operating range than a simple shock. It is analogous to a speaker system having a bass, mid, and tweeter to cover the full range of notes in music. It is the same thing here where the suspension has to control low speed (shock shaft speed, not vehicle) like body roll, and high speed like potholes, ripple bumps while braking, etc. It is also very convenient to be able to access any/all adjustments (except ride height) while on the car and not have to remove the wheels. The blue and black ***** shown here in the RF cannister handle the high and low speed bump settings.

Last edited by ghoffman; 05-18-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-18-2008, 12:48 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by ghoffman
They work even better than they look. I am frankly amazed how much better they are. I think one thing that is overlooked in the shock discussion is that the better shocks like these have a wider operating range than a simple shock. It is analogous to a speaker system having a bass, mid, and tweeter to cover the full range of notes in music. It is the same thing here where the suspension has to control low speed (shock shaft speed, not vehicle) like body roll, and high speed like potholes, ripple bumps while braking, etc. It is also very convenient to be able to access any/all adjustments (except ride height) while on the car and not have to remove the wheels. The blue and black ***** shown here in the RF cannister handle the high and low speed bump settings.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:10 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm scared to ask how much the 3way adjustables are? You can pm me if you wish. Are they immediately available?

One of the things I notice on my OEM suspension is that there is almost no droop. I am used to cars with coilovers and I wonder on track how my car can handle with such limited range of motion. I swear I am driving on 3 wheels many times. On flat tracks I'm fine but hit some bumps and be in a turn and adventurous is a good adjective. Am I off base with this statement?
Old 05-18-2008, 03:49 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I am familiar with other brands of coil overs with very limited droop. That is NOT the case here, were we have control of the body and shaft lengths and can optimize the bump so that the tires do not smash into the fenders, and at the same time allowing the maximum droop. We have a full wheel travel in the rear of almost 6 inches! We live and race in the NE where none of the surfaces are like a billiard table. With this car I feel like I could almost run a Moto-X race it works so well on bumps!

The pricing (per corner) are:

8700 Triples $1250
8300 Doubles $850
Singles (bump or rebound control) $750
Non adjustables $550

dual rate spring set $200

These prices include the new upper clevis mounts, new lower T bar and clevis.

If you have any questions please call!
Thanks
Gary 603-682-8073

Last edited by ghoffman; 05-18-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 05:07 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Gary,

How much of the CO kit are interchangeable between C6 and C5? What was that green thing on the springs? I am familiar with helper springs of fine wire with a main coil spring but your pic looks like something different.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

How much of the CO kit are interchangeable between C6 and C5?

Fronts are the same geometry, rears slightly different. The C6 setup works well on the C5 but not vice versa.

What was that green thing on the springs?

That is a poly spring coupler for the 2.25 ID Hyperco springs that we make. The reason you see a anti-dangle spring on other setups is you can't get (easily) a single spring that will have all of the travel that we have here. So with a shorter spring there is no preload at full droop so they have that little flat wire spring that has very little rate to keep it from just being loose. We use a dual rate setup that is actually very common on off road cars and bikes but you get a rising rate with this and have enough travel in the spring combo to accommodate the shock travel. The non-adjustable setup is ready, we have several of those setups running now. We always offer free revalving for our customers if you are for some reason not 100% pleased.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:53 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
One of the things I notice on my OEM suspension is that there is almost no droop. I am used to cars with coilovers and I wonder on track how my car can handle with such limited range of motion. I swear I am driving on 3 wheels many times. On flat tracks I'm fine but hit some bumps and be in a turn and adventurous is a good adjective. Am I off base with this statement?
Here are a couple of pics that show the droop. This is at street ride height:

And here is it just as the tires lift off of the ground, i.e. full droop:
Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

What was that green thing on the springs?

That is a poly spring coupler for the 2.25 ID Hyperco springs that we make. We use a dual rate setup that is actually very common on off road cars and bikes but you get a rising rate with this and have enough travel in the spring combo to accommodate the shock travel. .[/QUOTE]

I kinda thought that. Wow this set-up is the best thought out system I've seen yet. Your CO's are just killer!!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Thanks! We have really tried to be the best available anywhere. We have been working on this for quite some time, and had multiple design reviews with not only "car" people (engineers in the car biz) but with experienced mechanical engineers and designers that I know that are presently working in the Aerospace industry. In addition, I really like the convenience factor of being able to adjust everything (except the preload/ride height) without taking off the wheels. Just rotate a **** (with audible clicks) for low and high speed bump, or for rebound use a simple 5/32 Allen wrench and count the "clicks". It is really a fine adjustment, all of our settings are very close to the middle of the range so for those that want non-adjustables, no problem, we know the correct valving.
I think the hot setup for most people is the single adjustable that adjusts the compression. This allows you to have a softer street ride, and add compression for the track, and uses the same clicker clevis and eye (the little 5/32 set screw) as shown above as well as the new upper mounts.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:23 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

(need one of those genuflecting smilies here)

I am utterly, completely, totally, not worthy! Wow, what a system! I may never get the $$$$ to afford one (got a son going into college), but man can I dream!

Have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Installed pics of new Hardbar/Penske coil-overs

Quick Reply: Installed pics of new Hardbar/Penske coil-overs