Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track & street tire, what works best?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 06:00 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Track & street tire, what works best?

Up to now I've been using the OEM Z51 GY Eagle F1 GS-2 EMT, they were fine in the beginning but now I am overdriving them and they 1) get greasy and 2) chunk quite badly. These are used only for track days and getting to and from the track, not used in everyday regular driving.

The Michelin PS2's have been highly recommended to me and I've heard good things about both BFG g-Force T/A KDW-2 and the Kumho Ecsta SPT (KU31).

I am looking for a combination of wear and performance. Any comments or suggestions to help me decide?
Old 05-12-2008, 07:53 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Well.........same problem I'm running into.
Although I have a tire trailer so I'll be getting some R rubber. More than likely that's what you need to do.
The problem seems to be that the street tires have too much tread and too hard a rubber compound. Mine have been getting greasy too (Firestones) and they were thin 3/32" I'm quite sure as you get better that dual use tires just won't cut it (eventually) unless you learn to back off and just tool around the track at 7/10s
Old 05-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Get a spare set of wheels and run something like a Toyo R888, Toyo RA-1 (if they still make them), or Nitto R2s... it's a dot R street tire. If you ran them only on the street you could expect about `10k out of them, and they have a full tead pattern.

Even though our Panoz is a track only car pops and I were fed up with the cost of R comps for runing HPDEs where we're not racing, there's no winner. So we decided to just get some Nitto R2s from discount tire and play with them. They're more than stickey enough to have a great time, last a long time, and don't break the banks too bad.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:52 PM
ScottJ03
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Ps2

I have nitto Invo on now and wished I had PS2s again...
Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I switched to PS2's and love them. Very predictable tire and good grip for HPDE's. I only have ones set of rims, so the tires have to do double duty for now.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottJ03
I have nitto Invo on now and wished I had PS2s again...
Can you explain why?

Get notified of new replies

To Track & street tire, what works best?

Quick Reply: Track & street tire, what works best?