Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racing Seat For big guys?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:04 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Racing Seat For big guys?

Currently my car has a Cobra Imola S seat in it. with it's own sliders. while the seat is decent for me 6'2 and 325lbs 44in waist. I would like something with a bit more cushion in it since i have decided to start driving the car to more events. and well Stock seats are about as spendy used i have found for the car. I am looking into other options. can anyone give me some ideas on where to look for a seat that will fit my slightly larger racer figure and be a bit more comfy over the road. that will still fit in the vette?

Thanks
Old 05-13-2008, 01:37 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Maybe a Sparco Evo2 L, its the wider and taller version of the evo. I would try the Evo3 as well (the widest version of the evo) but I dont know if that will fit in a vette.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:54 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Maybe a Sparco Evo2 L, its the wider and taller version of the evo. I would try the Evo3 as well (the widest version of the evo) but I dont know if that will fit in a vette.

Thanks Spazegun Granted them look a bit on par with my Cobra seat. I'm looking for something a bit more street friendly that will still give me good hold. I have ruffly 120 miles one way up to 300 miles one way to drive. so something more cusy is what i'm looking for
Old 05-13-2008, 02:26 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the wider Corbeau seats, perhaps? Kirkey is right out, I suspect. Way too deep to get in and out of easily. Great seats though. Likely Ultrashield falls into the same category. Carravagio? Pricy but good.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

With our rails alot of guys have used the Sparco 2 and even the Sparco 3. The Sparco 3 is a very tight fit and does require an addition al $25 kit, but it does fit.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:52 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

I am 6 foot at 285, with 44" wasit. After looking at the seats offer for Big People I went with the Carravagio seat. Yes they are expensive but they fit in the car where some of the other will not fit. I had hope that I would have them for Roebling this weekend but they are suppose to be shipped today from Canada. Here is apicture of the seat in JD's car.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM
LSs1Power
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by beerkat
I am 6 foot at 285, with 44" wasit. After looking at the seats offer for Big People I went with the Carravagio seat. Yes they are expensive but they fit in the car where some of the other will not fit. I had hope that I would have them for Roebling this weekend but they are suppose to be shipped today from Canada. Here is apicture of the seat in JD's car.
I thought the Carravagio seats were made for 36" waist maximum? Are you sitting all the way in the seat? Do they have more than one size?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ You won't fit in those seats... I hope you tried first. I"m 6'4" 250 38" waist and I could get in, but after about 15 minutes of driving my hip bones were killing me, they're made for little italians as they're based on the Sparco Roadster seats.

Here's the roadsters I had in my car, Caravaggio confirmed that they used that seat's shell as the base for their design, he said they extended the leg area (thigh support) a bit.

I went back to the stock seats, and decided I'd just deal with it until I had a truck/trailer. I have to say there are no seats out there that are decent on track yet still comfortable on the street for larger people. If one existed I'd have owned it.

You might could go with the re-fabbed stock seats Caravaggio does where they change the foam for far more bolstering, but they're north of $3000. Callaway also makes a neat seat that has bolstering, fits, and reclines, but they're north of $4000.

In the end... I rock the stocker on the street and moved to an Ultrashield 17" for the track. The difference is night and day... I'll never run an HPDE in a stock seat again.

Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

let me know if you want to sell them if ya dont like them
Old 05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I saw tootallbob's car at Spring Mountain last year, at the NCM event. He basically cut come foam wedges that velcro to the floor and rear bulkhead on each side of him, AND HE SITS ON THE FLOOR.

I can't find my photos, but it was an interesting setup. If I can find the photo, I'll post it!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:01 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
I thought the Caravaggio seats were made for 36" waist maximum? Are you sitting all the way in the seat? Do they have more than one size?

When I talked to John (I think) Caravaggio I told him how big I was and he felt that I would be fine. JD is a big guy, maybe not as big as me, and he very comfortable in them. From what I could find out from this site and other websites for the C5 it is one of the best option for big people. I believe that I will fit the seat as well as I do the OEM seat.
Caravaggio does make another seat called a GT and it is recommend for 36" waist or smaller.

Most of my size is in my gut and not my hips. I need to lose some weight ant way so this will give me more reason.

Last edited by beerkat; 05-14-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: more info
Old 05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys all these replies are awesome. My Corbra Imola S seat fits my perfect for the track and event driving as long as i remove my bill fold and check book from my back pocket and have my front pockets empty which well when on track and such is what needs to be done anyways.

And i have drivin with it over many miles i was looking to step into one that was alittle better. Hmmm mabey i should buy one stock seat and do swaps when i get to events or who knows.

Anyways more to Ponder Thanks again for all the great response
Old 05-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an Ultra shield 17 inch and have driven 1200 miles round trip to some events. The secret is that I use a hemroids doughnut pillow from a medical supply house, going to and from and thus I can survive the long trip. You found the magic lession in cleaning out your rear pockets. (No wallet, etc)
Old 05-15-2008, 02:33 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I talked to John (I think) Caravaggio I told him how big I was and he felt that I would be fine. JD is a big guy, maybe not as big as me, and he very comfortable in them. From what I could find out from this site and other websites for the C5 it is one of the best option for big people. I believe that I will fit the seat as well as I do the OEM seat.
Caravaggio does make another seat called a GT and it is recommend for 36" waist or smaller.

Most of my size is in my gut and not my hips. I need to lose some weight ant way so this will give me more reason.

This would be big news, as all I've ever read is those seats are good for small 34 waist or smaller people.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

^ I can tell you from experience that they are the same as my sparco roadsters, I've sat in a set of them locally that redls1gto has in his car. My hips measure 16.2" when sitting on the ground, back on the wall, legs out, and 2x4s on each side. Thus the 17" ultrashield is the seat for me.

Plus, the caravaggios mounted to stock seat rails sit up higher, so if you're tall they're not an option.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:09 PM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I have an Ultra shield 17 inch and have driven 1200 miles round trip to some events. The secret is that I use a hemroids doughnut pillow from a medical supply house, going to and from and thus I can survive the long trip. You found the magic lession in cleaning out your rear pockets. (No wallet, etc)

yeah i too used a small pillow. i also had a full body pillow that worked well too on that long drive from Florida to South dakota in less then 2 days
Old 05-16-2008, 07:16 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Try this with a Kirkey or Ultra Shield. You can buy the proper size seat and then make a custom insert for you. It works great!

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=4525

Get notified of new replies

To Racing Seat For big guys?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
RusherRacing
Racer

Todd,
The ultrashield I had in the eclipse was a 17" Pro RR if that helps. it wasn't bad but I don't think i would want to use it for commuting purposes.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:10 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

corbeau A4s. They look similiar to stock, fit very big guys. Biggest seat you can fit in the car. Also did I mention they are cheap. The only thing bigger is aluminum which won't be very padded.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:04 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ProgGod
corbeau A4s. They look similiar to stock, fit very big guys. Biggest seat you can fit in the car. Also did I mention they are cheap. The only thing bigger is aluminum which won't be very padded.

Thanks for that i was looking at them some already do you know if the wide will fit in a corvette or just the standard?

Quick Reply: Racing Seat For big guys?