Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ALMS Utah -- Some Drivers Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ALMS Utah -- Some Drivers Thoughts

Johnny O'Connell, Corvette Racing
Corvette C6.R (GT1)

"(The facilities) at Miller Motorsports Park are by far the best in the United States. You really have to go to Indianapolis to the Speedway to find something of the same quality. So you know going there and being presented with a long, fast race track, and then you combine that with the great amenities and the great fans of Utah, it's an awesome event.

"We have Le Mans shortly after so to be on a long circuit with longer, sweeping corners is going to be great. We love whatever the Series throws at us (and) Miller Motorsports Park is one of the coolest race tracks we have in this country. So to go back there and use it as preparation for Le Mans is great."

Seth Neiman, Flying Lizard MotorsportsPorsche 911 GT3 RSR (GT2)
"I don't think there is one circuit that we currently race on in the U.S. and Canada that compares. But it always reminds me of running at Le Mans. There are a lot of very high-speed connected corners that prove you really have a lot at stake all the time."

Jim Tafel, Tafel Racing
Ferrari F430 GT (GT2)
"I think it's the closest thing we do to Formula 1. From the layout of the track, the backdrop of the scenery, the competition, the people out there, it's an awesome venue

Should be an exciting race with constant 'pucker' cornering.

Thoughts?

I'll take the Audis this week on the overall.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:14 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going there in June with NASA on my way to Infineon where I will meet up with you. Sounds awesome, thanks for posting. I'll have to make sure and watch! Do you know the date/time/network for the race?
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

The track does have very fast portions, but I like it because it also has many intermediate speed corners, too. It is a bit flat and it takes a while to learn because the corners don't have many distinguishing features... plus there are a lot of corners... 24 as I recall.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ALMS is running the "perimeter" config. this year instead of the full course w/infield.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Looks like it's on SpeedHD at 1:00pm MDT. I checked my local pacific listing and it said 12:00pm. Infineon will be a blast.

Interesting about the facilities being so nice at Utah. Would really like to check that place out too. It's only two states away, right?
Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM
vetracer
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
Looks like it's on SpeedHD at 1:00pm MDT. I checked my local pacific listing and it said 12:00pm. Infineon will be a blast.

Interesting about the facilities being so nice at Utah. Would really like to check that place out too. It's only two states away, right?
I-80 the whole way, buddy...
Old 05-14-2008, 01:14 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have around 800 miles there so far, would be more if not for retiring one car and starting a new project that I am going so overboard on, more like 1500 by now

I like the safety of the run off areas, only once a lap even near a wall when coming onto the front straight whether running the East, West or full track. It enables me to push harder and harder and find the limits without worrying about what happens if I goof up a corner a bit.

The track had a big part in my decision to move to Utah, maybe the biggest!

-----------

One really nice suprise, even the food is good

-----------

I will be there with my family just hanging out on Sunday.

Rick
Old 05-14-2008, 09:53 AM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

P.M. me if you decide to come out. We have some space at the house and are about 45 min. from the track. Don't forget there is a NASA race June 13-15th with HPDE, TT and race classes. There will be a Corvette corral and we expect about 50 Corvettes.

J.R.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:43 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J.R.

P.M. me if you decide to come out. We have some space at the house and are about 45 min. from the track. Don't forget there is a NASA race June 13-15th with HPDE, TT and race classes. There will be a Corvette corral and we expect about 50 Corvettes.

J.R.

Thanks for the generous offer.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 AM
boerio
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be making the trip from Portland to photograph the event. Really had fun last year.

Jeff

Get notified of new replies

To ALMS Utah -- Some Drivers Thoughts

Quick Reply: ALMS Utah -- Some Drivers Thoughts