Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat / steering wheel set up questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:54 PM
crznZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Seat / steering wheel set up questions

I want to install a racing seat and three spoke steering wheel in my '04 Z06. I'm 5'5," 140 lbs., and my waist is about 29 inches. Do any of you have first hand experience with the following seats or steering wheels? Am I looking at the right seats for my build? Thanks.

Cobra Suzuka S
Sparco Rev
Sparco Rev Plus

Sparco Model 325
Sparco Model 345
Sparco Model 383
Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I recently bought a cobra imola s gt. After several attempts to install it (using hardbar rails) I returned it. The sides of the seat are not parallel nor are they flat. When bolted to the rails it was very obvious the seat was way off. The left side rail was much further forward than the right. Neither rail was flat to the ground and the front of the rails were much further apart than the rears. It just was not going in. The seat itself just barely fits between the frame and the center tunnel, but the mounting was the problem. I'm not sure if it was simply pulled out of the mold too early or what, but there is no way that seat was going in without making custom mounts to make up for the sloppy construction of the seat. Shouldn't have to do that. Otherwise it was the perfect seat in my opinion for a track/street car. The sides are not too high so its not super difficult to get in/out of and it just plain fit me very well. Plus the shoulder harness slots were higher than sparcos which are below my shoulder level which is dangerous in a wreck. I plan on installing a kirkey road race. I've installed and used several different aluminum seats and one thing to note is that their overall width is much narrower than a composite seat. For example, my old kirkey speedway deluxe is a 16" seat and the overall width is only about 17" where as the above cobra is also about 16" on the inside, but about 20.5" on the outside which is about the maximum allowable room in a C5.
Hope this helps avoid some frustration.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

We have been putting seats in Corvettes for about 8 years now, and I sometimes feel like the Corvette community tailor! Call me and I can give you a run down on the various seats and what will work best for you.
Gary Hoffman
Hardbarusa.com
603-682-8073

Get notified of new replies

To Seat / steering wheel set up questions

Quick Reply: Seat / steering wheel set up questions