Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good Habit or Bad ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 09:04 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good Habit or Bad ?

While running on a track last weekend, my brother had observed that I was the only driver who would tap the throttle to bring up the revs while downshifting, (for a smoother gear transition). Is there anything wrong with this habit? I've done this for 45 years, on both the track and public streets.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

That is the preferred method of downshifting, particularly when done correctly.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:23 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
While running on a track last weekend, my brother had observed that I was the only driver who would tap the throttle to bring up the revs while downshifting, (for a smoother gear transition). Is there anything wrong with this habit? I've done this for 45 years, on both the track and public streets.
I think your brother was mistaken.

Giving a blip of the throttle to rev-match the engine to the drivetrain when downshifting is almost universally done by experienced drivers.

Bob
Old 05-14-2008, 09:44 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Here's a video clip of Lou Gigliotti at Sebring. He's driving a sequential shifter, and you can see and hear that when he pushes the shift lever forward to downshift, the computer automatically adds a throttle blip to rev-match for a smooth downshift.

Enjoy!!!

Bob

Click here for Lou's Sebring session in the #28 ALMS GT2 C6
Old 05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
Looks like your the only guy in that crowd who was heel toe down-shifting.
Old 05-14-2008, 11:05 PM
ShadowLight
Racer

Yeah, do it, your clutch will thank you!
Old 05-14-2008, 11:11 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by ShadowLight
Yeah, do it, your clutch will thank you!
and your transmisson will even thank you more
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by snitz
Looks like your the only guy in that crowd who was heel toe down-shifting.
You don't have to heel/toe to rev-match or double-clutch. The pedal geometry is such that I find it near impossible to execute a proper heel/toe in the C6. I've seen someone mod...shim their gas pedal out in the C6 but I've gotten adept at just rolling my right foot onto the gas pedal while braking. It took a while before I felt secure doing this under extreme braking but it works.
Old 05-15-2008, 02:49 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The pedal geometry is such that I find it near impossible to execute a proper heel/toe in the C6....I've gotten adept at just rolling my right foot onto the gas pedal while braking.
Huh??? The C5 geometry is perfectly fine for heel/toe. I doubt the C6 would be appreciably different, since it is largely an evolutionary car. I've driven a C6 Z51 on track once, and I don't remember noticing any problems w/ pedal placement. Plus, rolling the outside (not actually heel) of your right foot over to blip the gas _is_ the proper method anyway. What am I misunderstanding?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by fhturner
Huh??? The C5 geometry is perfectly fine for heel/toe. I doubt the C6 would be appreciably different, since it is largely an evolutionary car. I've driven a C6 Z51 on track once, and I don't remember noticing any problems w/ pedal placement. Plus, rolling the outside (not actually heel) of your right foot over to blip the gas _is_ the proper method anyway. What am I misunderstanding?
I agree. The whole idea of heel/toe braking is to keep constant brake pressure while you blip the throttle.

Releasing the brake (ergo: moving your foot away from the brake to the throttle) while you "blip" upsets the balance of the car going into a turn and un-weights the front tires which can induce understeer. Smooth weight transfer is the key to navigating the track quickly!

Good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:26 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

fhturner is dead on, the pedals are perfect for heal/toe. Even if the weren't you are MUCH BETTER OFF learning to adapt your driving style to the vehicle, than modifying the pedals of every car you ever drive. With just a little practice, you'll find your feet can learn to twist in all sorts of contorted angles once your brain masters the technique
Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,396 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
you can see and hear that when he pushes the shift lever forward to downshift, the computer automatically adds a throttle blip to rev-match for a smooth downshift.
Actually, I asked Lou about that. He said that the throttle blips on the downshifts are manually done; no computer involved! The only computer involvement is interrupting the engine during an upshift.

Makes the video even better!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
hrtracer
Instructor

You don't have to heel/toe to rev-match or double-clutch. The pedal geometry is such that I find it near impossible to execute a proper heel/toe in the C6. I've seen someone mod...shim their gas pedal out in the C6 but I've gotten adept at just rolling my right foot onto the gas pedal while braking. It took a while before I felt secure doing this under extreme braking but it works.
Just get bigger feet...

I find the pedals perfectly spaced. I actually brake hard with the ball of my foot, and then "jab" at the gas with my heel. I have tried rolling the foot but it does not allow you to be as precise with the amount and speed of the blip.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's interesting that this comes up everytime there's a thread on H&T.
It also comes up almost everytime I instruct at a HPDE since I usually pick students with Vettes.

Happened again 2 weeks ago, a C5 and an "08 C6 dirver telling me they couldn't H&T and they wanted to modify pedals.
Took them both out on the street and showed them how easy it is on any C4,5,6 without mods.
They're now both practicing this for their next event.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:34 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
It's interesting that this comes up everytime there's a thread on H&T.
It also comes up almost everytime I instruct at a HPDE since I usually pick students with Vettes.

Happened again 2 weeks ago, a C5 and an "08 C6 dirver telling me they couldn't H&T and they wanted to modify pedals.
Took them both out on the street and showed them how easy it is on any C4,5,6 without mods.
They're now both practicing this for their next event.
I think the confusion comes from the terminology.

It should be Brake & Blip or...Brake & Gas, not Heel & Toe.

It's what you're doing, not what part of the foot you're using, that's important to convey to the newbie. IMHO
Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ask the others how long their clutch and tranny last when not rev matching?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:10 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Thanks for all the replies. We appreciate all of your comments. In defense of my brother, He understood why I would blip the throttle, he just thought it was unusual that he could not hear the other 15+ drivers doing the same. Maybe some others were doing it but since my exhaust note is very distinctive, my half deaf brother couldn't detect it. Now to understand tires/pressures/compounds/alignment/.....

Get notified of new replies

To Good Habit or Bad ?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:53 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

heel/toe terminology makes PERFECT sense when you realize the gas/brake pedals used to be mounted vertically, one over the other. These days, I'm more of a "1st metatarsal/5th metatarsaler", but I don't see that lingo catching on!
I also throw in a medial cuneiform and cubiod occasionally!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:51 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

lol@ david farmer. Made my morning.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:56 PM
JohnnyB51
Instructor

"Heel and Toe" has become a generic term for blipping the throttle during downshifts. I think it applies to whether you actually "heel and toe" or roll your foot over to the throttle.

I've been using the rolling technique for 40+ years since I developed it on cars that weren't set up for true "heel and toe".

I still consider both techniques "heel and toe". They both accomplish the same thing.

Quick Reply: Good Habit or Bad ?