Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close yet far enough

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Close yet far enough

As stated in another thread when we were at Watkins Glen we got to see a video of a Lotus car. The driver was very smooth through the entire video and then all of a sudden the car let loose. The Chief Instructor at WGI stopped the tape and said at any time something can happen so be well aware of it.

He then started the tape to emphasis that AT ANY TIME SOMETHING CAN HAPPEN.

Here is what it looked like from the inside of the Lotus and watch for the surprise....

Old 05-15-2008, 08:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Something broke and rear snapped around?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:53 AM
anotherone
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

barely enough time to cuss
Old 05-15-2008, 08:59 AM
hrtracer
Instructor

WOW, I don't know that I have words for that. Did the lotus driver ever see the BMW? It looks like he is trying to get the car started and is looking down to the ignition switch...

Crazy!
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

wow....was there something spilled on the track that caused both to spin in the same spot?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mid engine cars sometimes let go rather suddenly and without much if any warning if not perfectly setup and driven properly.

That may not of been the case here, maybe something on the track, maybe got into the marbles trying to pass, etc but once they start to go they can be tough to bring back. He, or she, was one lucky dude

Rick
Old 05-15-2008, 10:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by raam
Mid engine cars sometimes let go rather suddenly and without much if any warning if not perfectly setup and driven properly.

That may not of been the case here, maybe something on the track, maybe got into the marbles trying to pass, etc but once they start to go they can be tough to bring back. He, or she, was one lucky dude

Rick
This car has a NOTORIOUS problem with their single inboard shear ball-joint assembly that is known to fail. It can NOT hold up to track use even with street tires and is a MUST modification for any tracked Lotus car. It's one of those mods you buy as soon as you buy the car, guess he didn't get the memo. What happened to him is exactly what dozens and dozens have reported on that car.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Both the Lotus and BMW did well (and/or were lucky) to avoid a serious accident. I don't think there was anything on the track...the BMW was probably trying to steer clear of the spinning Lotus and dove inside. That's racing but your instructor's point is well taken...somewhere, some time...when you least expect it.

Thanks for sharing the video.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:28 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a part break this winter. I was coming out of the last corner looking at the checkered flag. Pop and then I was taking hit after hit. The first thing I asked "what the hell happened" I used a different word then hell. But you get the idea.

Randy
Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
threewinmag
Racer

the description on the video site says: "This is a spin in antifreeze and a narrow miss."
Old 05-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

That looks like Turn 10 and I am wondering how the Bimmer got down that low in the turn unless he had drastically reduced his entry speed when he saw the flagger waving the yellow or saw the Lotus go around.

It does show there is a lot more room between the Armco and the track surface than a lot of people think there is.

Bill
Old 05-15-2008, 01:50 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by gilly6993
wow....was there something spilled on the track that caused both to spin in the same spot?
they believe it was radiator fluid on the track.

Get notified of new replies

To Close yet far enough

Quick Reply: Close yet far enough