Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cracked rotor pics anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:06 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default cracked rotor pics anyone?

My rotors are finally showing how I like to track the car

How long do these go? I would think it's time for new rotors when the cracks near the outer perimeter. Does anyone have a picture?

a
Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Like these?

[IMG][/IMG]

Cracked from hat to outside diameter. It always seems to happen with the car parked. If you feel any vibration under braking when going out for the first lap, it's time to get off and give a good look. Small cracks in rears are sometimes hard to spot.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:05 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by UstaB-GS549
Like these?

[IMG][/IMG]

Cracked from hat to outside diameter. It always seems to happen with the car parked. If you feel any vibration under braking when going out for the first lap, it's time to get off and give a good look. Small cracks in rears are sometimes hard to spot.
So you can let them go until they nearly reach the OD? Some of those look really close.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's one a friend sent me of his buddys C6Z rotor:

And here's a set pictures of one of mine:

http://www.petting-zoo.net/corvette/Rotor-2007-02-26/

At $25-$35/corner I swap 'em out much earlier now. You'll also notice that like the dummy I is, I had the rotor on backwards that time... which brings up another point for those guys that say GM using one-sided rotors is "okay" -- you're wrong. If I put the front rotors on the wrong sides, I eat them up, put them on the right sides and they work pretty darn well for quite a while. Please, don't ask.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

It's hard to predict how long it takes to go from heat checks in the surface to a full blown fracture. I have had rotors fracture in one day. On the other hand I still have two of my original OEM rotors. I keep using them as my "limp home rotors". Ugly, but they still have not cracked thru. The first OEM rotor to break lasted two track days.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by gkmccready

At $25-$35/corner I swap 'em out much earlier now. You'll also notice that like the dummy I is, I had the rotor on backwards that time... which brings up another point for those guys that say GM using one-sided rotors is "okay" -- you're wrong. If I put the front rotors on the wrong sides, I eat them up, put them on the right sides and they work pretty darn well for quite a while. Please, don't ask.
Wow--can't believe your drove on that!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:05 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Wow--can't believe your drove on that!
I dunno about the first one I posted (C6Z), but mine happened in the last session of the day and I didn't have spares with me. Early in my Corvette-life... I nursed it home 160mi trying not to hit the brakes...
Old 05-15-2008, 11:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I cracked the right front in 3 places and the left front in 1 place. There was a little thumping at the end of the previous session but when headed down pit lane I always do a brake check at speed and I could really feel and hear them. After replacing those two rotors I went out for another session during which the left rear rotor cracked. Three in one day but they all had at least 4 track days on them.

Bill
Old 05-16-2008, 07:21 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can put your finger nail into the crack, change the rotor.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-16-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:19 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are there any marks on the rotors that tell you whether they are RF or LF? Sorry for slightly highjacking the thread OP.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 986_C6
Are there any marks on the rotors that tell you whether they are RF or LF? Sorry for slightly highjacking the thread OP.
The vanes should sweep towards the back... it's trying to let air escape when the rotor spins, not trying to grab it and pull it in.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:35 PM
986_C6
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The vanes should sweep towards the back... it's trying to let air escape when the rotor spins, not trying to grab it and pull it in.
Thanks for the info!

Get notified of new replies

To cracked rotor pics anyone?

Quick Reply: cracked rotor pics anyone?