Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Experts: New Motor Break-In?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:39 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Engine Experts: New Motor Break-In?

So, I now have the opportunity to worry about how to break in a shiny new motor since my old one went poof. I'm a little concerned about getting it broken in properly in order to MAXIMIZE it's life span. Would ruin my whole day to pop another motor.

So, What's the recommended break-in? I have heard using non-synthetic oil to start is a good idea. I've also heard that you should take it easy the first 400 or 500 miles. That will be tough to do on a car that isn't street legal at all. So, I'm open for ideas.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:56 PM
samc
Burning Brakes

i found this to be quite an interesting read: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

so far i have tried this on my latest c4 383 rebuild, and my turbo mazda engine - it worked for me.. the 383 sure seems to have a lot less blow by than after the last rebuild.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:24 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by samc
i found this to be quite an interesting read: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

so far i have tried this on my latest c4 383 rebuild, and my turbo mazda engine - it worked for me.. the 383 sure seems to have a lot less blow by than after the last rebuild.
We use this almost to the tee.

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 05-16-2008 at 11:57 AM. Reason: My english is getting bad
Old 05-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Mika, The one thing is to never pass a blue #46 T1 car. Will damage your engine for sure. Sorry to hear about the "boom", but the extra power will surely be fun.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:02 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Mika ... I don't know nutin' 'cept what i read and have experienced ...
If you are getting the engine from a builder ... follow their advice ... they SHOULD know their engines ...
If a crate GM ... follow new car break-in.
I believe in frequent oil changes ...
Old 05-16-2008, 05:24 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samc
Most of what I read on there is what I remember the procedure being for breaking in my racing kart motors.
Old 05-17-2008, 08:28 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for the input guys. That shorter break-in cycle looks great to me, certainly makes the logistics simpler and makes sense to me. We may even be able to break it in on the dyno - that seems like a good safe environment as long as we take it easy and watch temps.

The engine is a GM crate engine, so will probably come with some break-in instructions - I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again, I'll let y'all know how it goes!
Old 05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well GM shipps the vettes from the factory with mobil 1 so why would it hurt anything? the use regular oil for brake in is a myth, GM said so in a thing they sent around a few months ago about oils. i'll see if i can find it.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
bosco 08
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i've always wondered why you have to break in a car but the semi tractors, back hoes, etc. that i purchased at work have no real break in period run'm right from the get-go.
btw hot/cold cycles do more to wear in an engine than driving it easy.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine Experts: New Motor Break-In?

Quick Reply: Engine Experts: New Motor Break-In?