Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Tires

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer Tires

I have had several tire failures on new tires in the past year on my enclosed car trailer. Following the first, I am a stickler on air pressures and being within the load limits of the tires. I use a weight distribution system so don't think overloading the tires are the problem. The last occurred this past Sunday on the Natchez Trace at 50 mph in cool temps.

I'm curious which trailer tires folks are using on trailers.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:06 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

When I bought my 18' dual-axle open trailer it came with some cheapie Chinese brand tire. While they seemed to be fine for the most part (quiet, smooth ride with no balance needed) I didn't really care for the idea of having 5400lbs of weight supported by tires I knew nothing about or had never even heard of.

So now I have a set of 4 Goodyear Marathon tires in ST 205/75R-15 Most of the people I know with enclosed trailer have Goodyears.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:12 PM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maxxis radials.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:21 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by brenb
Maxxis radials.
We use GOODYEAR TRAILER TIRES-not car tires.
http://www.redtrailers.com/ListItems.asp?cat=6
Old 05-15-2008, 10:26 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by QwickerRon
I have had several tire failures on new tires in the past year on my enclosed car trailer. Following the first, I am a stickler on air pressures and being within the load limits of the tires. I use a weight distribution system so don't think overloading the tires are the problem. The last occurred this past Sunday on the Natchez Trace at 50 mph in cool temps.

I'm curious which trailer tires folks are using on trailers.
How much does your rig weight total and how many psi per tire?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
psd_bullitt
Instructor

I've had various brands on my trailers and I'm currently running Carlisles on my 24' enclosed utility trailer because they are cheap and available at any Discount Tire. I don't recall whats on my 5th wheel. When I replace the original trailer tires I always go up at least one load rating higher and I insist they use the high pressure valve stems required for E load range tires which use 80psi. You would be suprized how many tire installers don't even know the difference and will put a low load car valve stem in a high psi truck or trailer wheel.

My utility trailer came with load range C tires. I had a few blow outs and eventually all the tires were replaced with E range tires and the 80 psi stems. No problems since. I had to go with a wider tire to get up to the E load range (225/75/15 instead of 205/75/15). Luckily my trailers fenders provide plenty of clearance so that was not an issue. They are only about $10 more each - $115 at Discount Tire for the Carlisle radial trail brand. Discount Tire has an online tire calculator so you can compare sizes and the difference in width, hieght, diameter etc.

When it was time to replace tires on my previous travel trailer I bought a set of cheap white steel 16" wheels for $35 each. I did that so I could increase the ground clearance of my trailer by going with 235/80/16s instead of the smaller 205/75/15s. I gained almost 2" of clearance which made getting in and out steep gas station driveways easier and the weight rating was much higher as well.

Don't let the tire guy try to convince you to that you don't need the higher load range stems even if you only upgrade to a D load tire with only 60psi. Get the heavy duty stems.

Last edited by psd_bullitt; 05-15-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by psd_bullitt
Don't let the tire guy try to convince you to that you don't need the higher load range stems even if you only upgrade to a D load tire with only 60psi. Get the heavy duty stems.

+1...I'm worse than you. I only use metal stems on anything I got that rolls!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:00 PM
anotherone
Pro

Originally Posted by Z11409
http://www.redtrailers.com/ListItems.asp?cat=6
If you google trailer tires you will see web sites of complaints of many different brands especially Goodyear marathons. It seems the only help is going up several load ranges.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

Being a stickler on air pressure could mean a lot of things. I found that if the max was 90 psi, you'd better be 90 psi or more. Running less, which some do for a softer ride and less bounce, will heat the tire more and separate the tread.

Like the others have said, be sure they are trailer tires and not car tires. They need to be an ST tire size, although I know some people who ran LT (light truck) successfully. Of course, they were rated much heavier than a car tire.

Most trailers I have checked years ago seemed to come on the minimum tires necessary to get it off the dealer's or manufacturer's lot and hopefully a day or two away. Don't scrimp on them, because unlike tires on your car or truck, you usually won't know one has gone down until you see chunks flying off in your rear view mirror.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:11 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Goodyear's Marathons have been great on my trailer. I use my open trailer for construction business with thousands of miles on them with the weight of up to 10,000 lb. I have replaced a few but never the tires fault. They are not cheap like 165 ea.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:31 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Procrastination Racing
Being a stickler on air pressure could mean a lot of things. I found that if the max was 90 psi, you'd better be 90 psi or more. Running less, which some do for a softer ride and less bounce, will heat the tire more and separate the tread.

Like the others have said, be sure they are trailer tires and not car tires. They need to be an ST tire size, although I know some people who ran LT (light truck) successfully. Of course, they were rated much heavier than a car tire.

Most trailers I have checked years ago seemed to come on the minimum tires necessary to get it off the dealer's or manufacturer's lot and hopefully a day or two away. Don't scrimp on them, because unlike tires on your car or truck, you usually won't know one has gone down until you see chunks flying off in your rear view mirror.
If they're not ST rated you're not going to get far. AND, how fast are you towing? If it's above 70 mph, nothing is going to help you.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:53 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Last C5
If they're not ST rated you're not going to get far. AND, how fast are you towing? If it's above 70 mph, nothing is going to help you.
larger diameter will help and over capacity tires
Old 05-16-2008, 09:26 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Ron, JO says he never had any longevity with 15" tires, whether E load or anything other load rating. He finally went to 16" wheels on his current trailer and has not had a problem. I, too, find the 15" tires pop. I need to find a good GN with 16" wheels...
Old 05-16-2008, 09:46 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a new WellsCargo trailer and 1 tire shredded on the first trip - about 300 miles. There wasn't enough tire left for them to look at for defect. I had to drive on it for ~7 miles because there was no exit or shoulder to pull off on.

I noticed I had another tire losing air. I found a nail in center of tread. When the shop looked at it there was a larger hole and soft spot in the tread about 5-6" from where the nail was. The trailer isn't even a year old. I bet I don't have 2,000 miles on it.

Both tires were the rear tires.
My dad always said trailers are bad because the front tire will kick up a nail/object where it is more likely to stick in the rear tire. No scientific survey to back him up - just experience I guess.

Also, trailers usually sit outside in one place for long periods of time. The tires will weather and age faster than cars/trucks that are driven more.

I'm going with a heavier ply tire and watching my tire pressures.
2 down (replaced) - 2 to go
Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 AM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z11409
If they'll fit, E rated truck tires are the way to go.

Maxxis makes both radial, and bias-ply ST tires. Search some RV forums and take a look at what those guys are using.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:34 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

We are light, car and open trailer total right at 4k# and I've lost 2 tires in 2 years.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:49 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Racing
Also, trailers usually sit outside in one place for long periods of time. The tires will weather and age faster than cars/trucks that are driven more.
I went to Harbor Freight and got the tire covers that people usually put on RV's that sit outside. Easy on and off and saves the trailer tires from direct exposure to the sun. HF has them on sale fairly often for like 10 bucks for four covers.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Tires

Old 05-16-2008, 02:47 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

the only time I had tire problems was when I overloaded a 28' pace trailer. If you are absolutely sure you are not over the rated capacity of the tires (printed on the sidewall), then I'd have a serious chat with the manufacturer.

I irony of my situation was that if I would have bothered to stop and weigh, I could have easily move a few hundred pounds of cargo from my trailer to my truck, and I'd have been fine. Instead, I ended up chasing tires all over the east coast during a NC to Lime Rock to Mid Ohio 2-week tour! Not fun!
Old 05-16-2008, 03:16 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

I have two spares and plugs with me. Never had a problem except from road hazards and when a fender popped off to rub the tire and run it. GY tires have been great.
Old 05-16-2008, 04:08 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Goodyear's Marathons have been great on my trailer. I use my open trailer for construction business with thousands of miles on them with the weight of up to 10,000 lb. I have replaced a few but never the tires fault. They are not cheap like 165 ea.

Marathons of the right load range(or maybe one higher) inflated to the max allowable on the sidewall. Load Range D in my case, never had any problems.

Frank Gonzalez

Quick Reply: Trailer Tires