Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who drives to events on their v710/A6/R6's?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:25 PM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Who drives to events on their v710/A6/R6's?

For the last two seasons I have been driving to my local autox events on my Kumho VictoRacers. My events are usually anywhere from 5 miles to 15 miles away, and the Victoracers worked great for driving to the race, racing, and going home. (I'm not planning on trailering at all).

Today I just had a set of Kumho v710s mounted up, and I'm curious as to weather or not I should drive to my events on them, or if I should somehow figure out a different way to get them there. (A set of track tires doesn't fit inside my car so well).

So my question is... will I be ok driving the v710's to my autox events that are 5-15 miles away? Anyone else drive their v710's/A6/R6's to close events? Like I said, the victoracers worked great for what I do, but with the v710s being so much stickier, I don't want to wear them out too fast. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 PM
doughall
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been driving my 96 Grand Sport to events for years on 710's. Normally about 20 miles but sometimes 100 miles. No problem very little wear. However if it rains your in big trouble hydroplanes like crazy. Wish they made 710's for the C6.
Doug
Old 05-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been driving the 710's(as well as Hoosier GrandAm Cup and Michelin Slicks) up to 150 each way to an event for the last 4 years, no problem. No noticeable wear to be concerned of in non race conditions. There should be about 6 negative opinions from people who only trailer their cars to events on why this never should be done and why it is impossible and dangerous, heat cycles, etc.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:58 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

All it takes is a damp spot on the road and you might wind up feeling like you're driving on ice.

Depending on the temps of the road surface, you may be using up heat cycles just by driving to and from an autocross event.

Also, a sharp-eyed LEO may see the lack of a distinct tread depth and you could get written up for bald tires or unsafe equipment.

Have you thought about a trailer hitch and a small trailer?? Harbor Freight has a neat little 4'x 3.5' trailer that a number of folks here use to haul race tires and a toolbox. You can find hitches for C5's and they are easy to install.

I used that HF trailer for a couple seasons and with tires and a tool box, it weighed about 400lbs and it was very easy to tow.
Old 05-17-2008, 10:39 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

I drove once on my 710's to a local event that was around 12 miles away. i personally wouldn't go any further with them.

As far as the A6's I now use, I don't even like to drive up the street with them as they pick up and throw EVERYTHING

Last edited by thehammer69; 05-18-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I drive 100 miles or more to track events on my V710's. Two years ago I had a pretty miserable drive to an event in the rain. 35 MPH on the interstate was scary. I now carry the two fronts on the seat and change them at the track. If it rains, I can drive at reasonable speeds to get home. Beware the semis. The front streets clear the water for the rears until a passing semi floods the path for the rears.
Old 05-22-2008, 07:07 PM
rickkym
Instructor

I got a harbor freight trailer and I'd recommend against it. It's too narrow. My tires sit in the front stacked horizontal in two piles and then they rest on the fenders some. I had to shim my deck with a set of 2x4s just to get it to work. If you get a little wider trailer they can sit vertical and side by side. You might even get two sets on the trailer.

Just my .02
Old 05-22-2008, 07:17 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've run on R6's for about 300 miles roundtrip about a dozen times. No noticeable wear or heat cycle effect. It does make for a long ride home if it rains however.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:32 PM
0corvette pilot
Former Vendor

I have run the 710s and R6s to and from events in the past. Now I run Sport Cups and still do so. I didn't have a problem in the rain with the victorracers, but they were on a 350z and not quite as wide as we use here. At a wet autocross, they actually seemed to grip better than my street PS2s at the time.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
Barbara_S
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same for me - I've driven to autocross events 7 miles away (side streets) on 710's all summer long with no problems. When my car with Hoosier A6's drove the same route, a 1/4 inch screw embedded in one tire (hole closed after a heat cycle but I was not happy seeing a hole in a brand new tire).

I keep track of dry runs, and miles on my 710's. Right now I have 100 runs, and 180 street miles and they aren't as fast as new but they are not gone yet either so the extra street driving does not seem to be an issue.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I buddy drove with mt 200mi each way to an HPDE a few weeks back and he picked up a large bolt in the tire. As soon as it let go the tire lost air pressure and completely shredded on a V700.

That being said, I've logged a few thousand miles issue free to and from events on NT-01's.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:08 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I won't drive on track tires on a regular road for more than a mile or two. Too many hazards, too much wear and heat. Find a buddy that has a trailer and see if you can buy them dinner to carry tires for you. If we help one another out, more of us get to race!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Another vote for a tire trailer, your choice of what size/brand. I use a HF trailer with 12" wheels and it is rock solid on the road. Built a custom cradle for the tires to sit side by side in a vertical position with eye hooks for tie downs. Also recommend LED lights on the trailer to not draw power through the stock wiring harness of the vette. The trailer allows you to take a few more things like tools, water bottles, chairs, fuel.

I feel it give the expensive 710's the best survival, only used on coarse, not too much heat exposure and no nail or other debris damage given how soft they are.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Depending on the club I am running with on that weekend it is 60-80 miles each way on my V710s. I stopped towing my tire trailer to local events a long time ago, much easier to change tires at home, and one less thing to do at the event.

For out of town events I will tow the car or haul the tires.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 PM
99Lingenfelter
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I've driven to several events now on my v710s, and had no issues at all. Doesn't seem to be a noticable amount of tread wear, just lots of rocks stuck to the tires. I'm loving these tires though! Way stickier than my v700s were, they are super predictable, very responsive, great feedback and feel. I'd recommend them to anyone, and I see no need for a trailer if your only going short distances. Thanks for the feedback guys.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Jacki&GeneZ16
Instructor

With our 04 ZO6 we typically drive 60 to 100 mile round trip to autocrosses on Hoosier A6's with no obvious tread wear beyond what what we see from autocrossing. Also, we have been caught in a few heavy rains and these tires handled that well, we just drove about 5 mph under the speed limit.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:01 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I drive to road atlanta on yokos, hoosier R3's, R6's, or whatever.

But that's only minutes from my door, no highway, no bad roads. And I've driven home from RA in a monsoon on yokos, that wasnt very fun.

As long as you KNOW FOR SURE what the weather will be for the commute, and that is fair weather, not enough rain for standing water anywhere, then go for it.

You'll find out soon enough if the extra mileage is taxing your wallet for new replacement tires.

Not worth it for longer than 50 miles if you can simply buy a tire trailer.

Get notified of new replies

To Who drives to events on their v710/A6/R6's?

Old 06-14-2008, 11:07 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Lingenfelter
I've driven to several events now on my v710s, and had no issues at all. Doesn't seem to be a noticable amount of tread wear, just lots of rocks stuck to the tires. I'm loving these tires though! Way stickier than my v700s were, they are super predictable, very responsive, great feedback and feel. I'd recommend them to anyone, and I see no need for a trailer if your only going short distances. Thanks for the feedback guys.
i luv my v710's too. i need a trailer because i go really fast and blow stuff up!
Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 PM
R Mackow
Racer

I bought a tractor supply 4x6 trailer with an expaneded metal "deck" and no ramps. It cost about $450, but I did not have to assemble it, take pictures of it and take it to a garage to have them rubber sytamp it.
The sales clerk at TS took me to the notary down the street and I got a tag, got it registered.
I made up a bracket with 3/4" (fixed)transverese pipes that holds up to 8 tires. A pipe goes through the center hub "hole" on the wheel.
Over the winter I will modify the bracket to mount a tool box on it. I use bungies to keep the tire from bouncing around. The expanded metal deck is great for hooking a bungie to.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:09 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

There are warnings on the Kumho web site, I believe, that state an off track excursion may effect some damage and the tires should be carefully inspected. Of course, this is in reference to their track only tires. So....it stands to reason a trip down the highway might pick up all kinds of nasty things. Being very sticky, items sort of just cling to them until they are buried into the tire. If one does high speed sessions on a roadcourse, a little prudence would be in order here. A blow out from debris at high speed does not sound like fun to me.

Quick Reply: Who drives to events on their v710/A6/R6's?