Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems doing brake work

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:14 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Problems doing brake work

'08 Z51 Vette with 1,200 Miles:

So I'm pulling the caliper off the drivers side and notice about 1/4-1/2" of the inside of the rotor is rusted where it should be shiny from brake pad wear. The passenger side is fine in this area.

Then I notice the damn rotor is not the correct one, the vents on the disk are pointed the wrong direction and are not cutting through the air for ventalation.

Next I pull the caliper and a piece of the brake pad falls onto the driveway.

I go to do the rears and rotate the caliper back, pull the pads, go to get the track pads and the damn vendor gave me the wrong ones.

So nothings perfect and I don't think the vendor gave me the wrong pads on purpose, but what gives with the wrong rotor? I recall Gary from Hardbar experiencing the same thing on his Z06. Will the dealer give me the right one or is this something I have to deal with on my own?

On a more positive note, after a 3 year break I'm going lapping in my new vette in Seattle, its going to be a blast as long as the brakes hold. I have put over 1k miles on this car and have yet to row through the gears (can't afford to go to jail for wreckless driving, cops here are "wreckless driving" ticket happy for some reason (or maybe it was my driving? )).
Old 05-18-2008, 09:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
'08 Z51 Vette with 1,200 Miles:

So I'm pulling the caliper off the drivers side and notice about 1/4-1/2" of the inside of the rotor is rusted where it should be shiny from brake pad wear. The passenger side is fine in this area.

Then I notice the damn rotor is not the correct one, the vents on the disk are pointed the wrong direction and are not cutting through the air for ventalation.

Next I pull the caliper and a piece of the brake pad falls onto the driveway.

I go to do the rears and rotate the caliper back, pull the pads, go to get the track pads and the damn vendor gave me the wrong ones.

So nothings perfect and I don't think the vendor gave me the wrong pads on purpose, but what gives with the wrong rotor? I recall Gary from Hardbar experiencing the same thing on his Z06. Will the dealer give me the right one or is this something I have to deal with on my own?

On a more positive note, after a 3 year break I'm going lapping in my new vette in Seattle, its going to be a blast as long as the brakes hold. I have put over 1k miles on this car and have yet to row through the gears (can't afford to go to jail for wreckless driving, cops here are "wreckless driving" ticket happy for some reason (or maybe it was my driving? )).

on the Z06 there is no right one on the rotor they are both the same not sure on your Z-51

The cops may be ticket happy after they have to pick up the pieces of people after the accidents they see all the time.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

your car is perfectly normal, the complete rotor surface doesn't wear, and yes the rotors are backward on one side.

Pads are very common peices, should be able to get the rights ones in no time.
Old 05-18-2008, 11:25 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default Cobalt GTS brake pads

Thanks guys.

I just got through bedding the Cobalt GTS pads, they are cooling off again right now. Its real easy to kick on the ABS with these things, but the pedal is a bit lower than what it once was. I had the system flushed with Motul and it was stiff and perfect for heal toe prior to putting these pads on. Now the brake bedal sinks below the gas pedal, kinda sucky. How do I get rid of this behavor with the low pedal? I'm open to some ideas on how to get the pedal back up

Also, what problem or behabvior am I going to run into with the stock Z51 rear pads and these GTS pads up front?
Old 05-18-2008, 11:55 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Tom answered it for you... GM decided to only make one side of rotors for the C6s and Z06s. Wierd huh?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
your car is perfectly normal, the complete rotor surface doesn't wear, and yes the rotors are backward on one side.

Pads are very common peices, should be able to get the rights ones in no time.
Dave,
I think he was implying the rotor wear isn't even. The pad isn't wearing the inside surface of the rotor on the drivers side like the inside pad on the passenger side or like the pads on the outsides of both rotors. I had that kind of wear on my 03Z when I first got it. I got rid of it by changing pads and rotors. It sounds like it might be a pad problem on his car as he mentioned the pad falling apart which might account for the pad not touching the rotor in that area.

Bill
Old 05-19-2008, 09:50 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Thanks guys.

Also, what problem or behabvior am I going to run into with the stock Z51 rear pads and these GTS pads up front?
For someone who is new to tracking, the pads with really good initial bite may not be the best choice. Although still a newbie myself, what I have gathered so far, the skill and danger with these cars has to do weight transfer during turning. Pads with really good initial bite make that transfer happen much quicker. I have Carbotech XP10s on the front of mine. While they do not have the initial bite as others, they also don't jerk my car and I can get almost 30 mins without fading. The experts can chime in a little bit more on this, but your pad/tire combo should match your driving skill and style.

Prepare to be hooked after you first session. These cars are awesome for this stuff. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Problems doing brake work

Quick Reply: Problems doing brake work