Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:51 AM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheel question

I bought 4 C6 OEM rims from a post on the Forum and for the moment assume the seller was honest. The rims are for extra track tires. When the rims had the tires mounted and were in the process of balancing on a Hunter laser machine, wheel hop developed on all 4 wheels. Upon close inspection it appears one rim is out of round, but the other three look OK. Has anyone experienced this problem? Can rims be salvaged if the out of round is minimal? How the hexx do rims get out of round? Is it likely that the rims are OK but the wheel hop is the result of improper use of the Hunter balancing machine? Or, alas, did I just get hosed from buying from a stranger?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's your definition of wheel hop? Describe it please.

There are vendors who specialize in fixing wheels but I'm not sure if any of this forum's vendors do.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TedDBere
What's your definition of wheel hop? Describe it please.

There are vendors who specialize in fixing wheels but I'm not sure if any of this forum's vendors do.
Thanks for the reply. Wheel hop occurs on the balancer in the same way it would on the road. Imagine how a square wheel would "hop" and you get the extreme picture. At high spin speeds on the Hunter machine the mounted wheel should spin smooth and I'm told these rims don't run smooth. These folks have mounted tires several times before on other rims with no problem.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,926 Likes on 5,332 Posts

I would be more suspect of the guy operating the balancer.

Bill
Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have seen more tires out of round (required shaving to get them where they would balance) then wheels that were bent.

But wheels can get bent from "offs" Jake took out a Porsche rim in T7 at Roebling a few years back...
Old 05-19-2008, 10:18 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Hunter makes a balancer with road force (a roller that applies pressure for balancing) that is the DSP9700. Its popular with miata guys as they are ultra sensitive to out of balance wheel/tires. Maybe you can find one local to you. Discount tires near me always have one, they can charge up to $20 for one tire on it but its worth it if you suspect this is your problem. Or try this to find one near you:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
Old 05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanx guys; I'm seeing the garage that does the balancing in the morning to get a better understanding of the situation. It seems highly unlikely that all 4 rims are bad, especially if only one appears so upon visual inspection. Sometimes it's the nut on the other end of the wrench. I'll check out the Hunter DSP 9700.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:16 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheels can get bent in an off track excursion or simply hitting a pot hole driving down the road. I have a Hunter 9200 and it is unlikely they were mounted incorrectly. It is also pretty obvious when you see a bent one. If they are bent they can be repaired, but I would try to give them back first.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:45 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
Hunter makes a balancer with road force (a roller that applies pressure for balancing) that is the DSP9700. Its popular with miata guys as they are ultra sensitive to out of balance wheel/tires. Maybe you can find one local to you. Discount tires near me always have one, they can charge up to $20 for one tire on it but its worth it if you suspect this is your problem. Or try this to find one near you:

http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm
I spoke with the garage guys this morning and they used two Hunter machines to test the rims, one being the Hunter 9700. I have identified a location that claims to be able to conform the wheels to full round condition if not too badly damaged. A check with them will provide a second opinion on the condition of the rims and will determine my next step. I am also notifying the seller of the current apparent problem for his reaction. Thanks to all for your advice.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I've had great experiences with Wheel Worx in Maryland when it comes to repairing my wheels on my vehicles. Might want to check them out. Fair prices for quality services. Mike
Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanx Mike, will add to my resource list.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel question

Quick Reply: Wheel question