Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To Z51 or not to Z51

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default To Z51 or not to Z51

I have been given 'permission' to order a 2009 Coupe, but I can not decide about the Z51 package. The car will be tracked so I have two issues.
#1 - Do I go for Z51 suspension and leave as is or do I order the base and add Z06 components.
#2 - Brakes... The drilled rotors on the Z51 would last the trip home and then be tossed. Are there any blank rotors that will fit Z51 or would I need to drop down to base rotors and caliper mounts? Would it be cheaper to 'maintain' base brakes?

Also, what extent of 'additional cooling' is supplied with a Z51 manual tranny'd coupe?
Old 05-22-2008, 10:08 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing you get w/ Z51 that would be hard to upgrade yourself is the more track-oriented transmission ratios. For that reason alone, I'd probably start out w/ Z51 and upgrade from there if you want...
Old 05-22-2008, 10:22 AM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Maybe... I put 4.10s in the 99 and loved them, I could always do that.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Z51

Whenever you decide to "toss" the Z51 rotors let me know and I'll pay for shipping to my home. I have been running Z51 rotors for the last 18 months with no problems. Have spider cracks but that is it. I have run them at about 10 two day track events. I'll be more then happy to take them off your hands; will even buy them from you instead of you "tossing" them.
C5 XTC
Ron T
Old 05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

hehehe...

The brakes are my biggest concern since there doesn't seem to be a lot of Z51 selection out there.

Quick Q: Are the Z51 calipers the same as base, just on a different bracket? Follow-up: Do Z51's require their own pads or do the base/C5 pads style fit?
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM
C5 XTC
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Casem1
hehehe...

The brakes are my biggest concern since there doesn't seem to be a lot of Z51 selection out there.

Quick Q: Are the Z51 calipers the same as base, just on a different bracket? Follow-up: Do Z51's require their own pads or do the base/C5 pads style fit?
Pads from a C5 will fit on the Z51 package; but if you are wanting to upgrade I would imagine you are going to go with more aggressive pads (Carbotech XP10s or XP12s for example). Lots of threads here on pad, C6 conversions etc. I am happy with my rotors and just ordered two front rotors in preparation for when mine do crack.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:56 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

actually, if my numbers are correct, the Z51 actually has worse gearing for road-racing. The lower numberical 1-3rd gives you better punch for drag racing, but makes the gear spread greater, making the shifts lose more rpm. You do get a better 5th, but your rarely use 5th gear at the track with stock 3.42 gears.

If the only way to get the trans cooler is with the Z51, then you definitely need it. If not, I'd get the non-z51 and put Z06 suspension parts on it. Brakes aren't a big deal either way, it's an easy swap.
Old 05-22-2008, 12:57 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

I was in the same boat figuring out if I wanted Z51 or not. I came to a decision that no, I did not want it because of the gears.

Then I found a deal on a C6 that had Z51 and bought it anyway (couldn't pass up the deal).

A noteworthy aspect of getting the Z51 is the suspension changes. I came from a C5Z and the Z51 is soft to me. I can't imagine what the base suspension would be like.

But then one can say, well I can just but this, and that, and have a better setup than the Z51 package .Your right, but do you really want to do that?

The coolers are also a big plus. You'd definately need at least a power steering cooler, which the Z51 package has.

I can't say much about the rotors, other than hearing the story about them lasting longer is re-occuring for me. The dealer gave me that spew and I was like yeah right. But I now belive its true in that they are good rotors. One negitive though, and this could be a blocker, and that is the left rotor is actually a right side rotor so the cooling fins are not doing thier job. I had one pad chunk already w/1k miles on it and I believe its because the rotor is not cooling as designed.

All in all I'm glad I got the Z51 package. The close ratio trans is fun to drive on the street. On the track, my brain is still set for the old T56 ratios so I haven't quite got down what gear I should be in for what turn at our local track.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

Again, the Z51 does NOT have the close ratio trans.

Adding power steering cooler is easy, but the trans cooler is more difficult by far. I wish GM just let you choose everything a la carte!
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

thanks for the correction. I just double checked and the non Z51 trans has its ratios closer together than the Z51. Source: http://www.corvettemuseum.com/specs/2008/index.shtml

Also I forgot to mention the Z51 package has better tires, it comes with the GoodYear Supercar tires.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I wish GM just let you choose everything a la carte!
Tell me about it... I want HUD, but I think GM knows that so they stick it with the 3LT. Like I need heated seats...

Oh, and the wheels are Fugly. I will be changing those two. Too bad I like my money, otherwise I would simply order the Z06.

So, Z51 has a tranny cooler (manuals also?) and a power steering cooler. Any oil coolers?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
forgot to mention the Z51 package has better tires, it comes with the GoodYear Supercar tires.
Yeah, whatever tires come from GM will stay as far away from the track as I can keep them... I wouldn't track SuperDuperCar tires if they were goodyear runflats.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Massc5
Advanced

My son just got a new z51. It is awesome. Get c5 rotors and brackets and race pads. On used 710's after only 4 laps at Putnam Park I turned 1:18's. Clay of this forum just won TTS in his Z06 with a 1:15.8 Sat. I left plenty of time out there. You will need the oil and trans coolers that come with z51. It is a lot of car.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:21 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

I got the Z51. I do prefer the gearing. I don't really want to change a lot around, so I am just planning to run the stock suspension.

All Z51s come with PS, Tranny and Oil coolers for 2008+

The calipers are the same as the base car (and the C5.) Only the rotors and brackets are bigger than the base suspension. I bought the shorter brackets, and the "C5" rotors from Napa. When I bought my Carbotech's I got ones that fit the C5/C6 rotor. I plan to use the Z51 rotor with my street pads, and the base brackets with the track pads/rotors.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:51 PM
z060ntrack
Drifting

This is really kind of laughable. Casem1, can you add springs, shocks, stabilizer bars, tires, rotors, calipers, coolers and transmission for the $1,695 Z51 option price to a base Corvette?
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Casem1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z060ntrack
This is really kind of laughable. Casem1, can you add springs, shocks, stabilizer bars, tires, rotors, calipers, coolers and transmission for the $1,695 Z51 option price to a base Corvette?
I already own many things on your list, and that isn't really the point... My biggest cause for concern is that the rotors for the base model has MUCH greater support from the aftermarket than the Z51 rotors. Furthermore, I do already own C6Z06 suspension components with less than 1k miles on them, so I don't need to buy them.

I will be buying tires anyway, no runflats on the track for me, and as a result of this thread I have learned that the calipers are the same. The tranny doesn't seem to be an overwhelming positive from what I have read. So, in a nutshell, the only thing your post accomplished is once again stating that the Z51 has some extra cooling. Another point clarified to me earlier in this thread.

Get notified of new replies

To To Z51 or not to Z51

Quick Reply: To Z51 or not to Z51