Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 rotor discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 04:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default C6 Z06 rotor discussion

As much as I "hate" that the stock z06 rotors are drilled, and non-directional, I'm interested in opinions of actual performance. Here's my story.

We ran half of last season on stock rotors, often with 3 drivers in the car, and while they did crack eventually, they never cracked all the way through. I wanted to save them for backups after retiring the car from track usage.

The only 2-piece rotors available at the time were the Racingbrake rotors, so that's what I bought. Well, they showed visible cracking within 1 event, and while I didn't keep a log of them, I actually think they actually had to be replaced quicker than the OEM units.

The car has ducts on it, I've been running a variety of pads, and most of you know I limit my braking to when it's absolutely necessary. I would have gone with Stoptech rotors if they were available when I purchased, as I have a good history with them.

Anyway, I'm not trying to justify GM's backward-drilled-rotor situation, just trying to quantify actual real-world experiences.

I'm in the process of putting new friction rings back on the front of the car, and seriously think I may go back to stock rotors next time around, since the replacement rings for the RB's are $550 per axle.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:50 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Steve E's SCCA ST C6ZO6, one session or 17 laps on VIR , with Hawk DTC-70 front and DTC-60 rear

Old 05-22-2008, 06:29 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set of slotted (not cross-drilled) front rotors from DBA and will have them on the car for the NCM event at VIR. I will let you folks know how they work out. $117.95 each, shipped.

My OEM rotors have never cracked through, but I replace them when the tiny cracks emanating from the "cross-drilled" holes get to about 3/16" in length or begin to approach the periphery of the rotor. I usually get 2-3 weekends out of them.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 05-22-2008, 06:53 PM
mcar00
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I could not get past the 3rd session of a track day with the stock brakes without boiling some Motul. After 2 or 3 track days I put Stoptech fronts on the car. The rotors actually looked pretty good at that point. The stock rears usually last about 10 track days. My opinion is that the rotors are pretty hearty but don't dissipate heat very well.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:33 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

found some dba slotted for about $500 for a set shipped ok price i guess

how much are stockers for a full set?
Old 05-22-2008, 08:41 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess the quality is all over the place, since I had good luck with the OEM's, and (so far) bad luck with the RB's. I've talked to several people running the DBA's, but haven't heard the long term report.

Tom, with the grooves in the rotors shown, there are some issues in that situation other than just the slots. Looks like their may have been a real defficiency in that particular rotor.

My gut had been that while the GM rotors are of poor design, perhaps the mettalurgy was pretty good. Perhaps not.

Oh btw, the RB's have an interesteing design. The friction ring can mount on the hat on either side, so the friction rings are the same on both sides. You just mount it one way for the left, and the other way for the right. Nice concept, although I don't particualarly like the "open-ness" of their mounting setup...lets all of the ducted air shoot right out between the rotor/hat.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:12 PM
AZ FASTEST
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I guess I'm the last guy standing with the RB rotors! I've never had a problem with the RB rotors and I've used DTC-70 pads and Carbotech 16's and they stop great for their price point. Only just now starting to see some hairline cracks on the fronts, but the rings are replaceable. Maybe the tracks I run out West don't require the same amounts of braking force as back East!
Old 05-23-2008, 08:05 AM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

I don't think the OE rotors, or the C6 ZO6 brakes in general, are deserving of the criticism heaped on them. The ***-backwards venting seems stupid, and I admit having no love for the caliper design, but it all seems to work well. I have 4 track days on my OE rotors, and they should be fine for two more days next week. I use Hawk DTC pads, and the braking performance has been very good. Most of my driving is full course VIR, and I am not nearly as abusive of the brakes as many drivers, so my experience may not be typical. I have a set of one-piece DBA rotors that I will put on next, so I can offer a comparison later.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

Tom, with the grooves in the rotors shown, there are some issues in that situation other than just the slots. Looks like their may have been a real defficiency in that particular rotor.
Could have been. Steve said those DTC-70s just ate the rotors. He has going to the DBA rotors and likes them very much. He uses the DTC-60 pads front and rear now.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:24 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Dave, I'm running Brembo 14" 6 pot on the front and DBA rotors with stock calipers and DTC 70s on the rear and they are working great. The DBAs seem to be holding up fine on the rear. They have 6 days of tracking and have only real fine heat checks. And the Brembo's with PFC97s are awesome, they have 6 days and still have over way over half of the pads left. I ran Sebring a couple of weeks ago and several students with stock C6-Zs had brake issues after 3 or 4 sessions, very high pad wear and boiling the fluid. See you at VIR. JD
Old 05-23-2008, 11:30 AM
darrahc
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
As much as I "hate" that the stock z06 rotors are drilled, and non-directional, I'm interested in opinions of actual performance. Here's my story.

We ran half of last season on stock rotors, often with 3 drivers in the car, and while they did crack eventually, they never cracked all the way through. I wanted to save them for backups after retiring the car from track usage.

The only 2-piece rotors available at the time were the Racingbrake rotors, so that's what I bought. Well, they showed visible cracking within 1 event, and while I didn't keep a log of them, I actually think they actually had to be replaced quicker than the OEM units.

The car has ducts on it, I've been running a variety of pads, and most of you know I limit my braking to when it's absolutely necessary. I would have gone with Stoptech rotors if they were available when I purchased, as I have a good history with them.

Anyway, I'm not trying to justify GM's backward-drilled-rotor situation, just trying to quantify actual real-world experiences.

I'm in the process of putting new friction rings back on the front of the car, and seriously think I may go back to stock rotors next time around, since the replacement rings for the RB's are $550 per axle.

I did the exact same thing and had the same experience. I went from the OE rotors to RB but didn't find that they were any better and definitely didn't last any longer.

I now have Brembos (calipers & rotors) on the front but have a spare set of the OE rotors that I bought for $117 each and will put those on once these go. With all the complaining about the stock rotors, they still seem like the best and least expensive alternative to RB and even the Brembos.

Racing might be a different story but for HPDE's the stock rotors seem to be fine, I just make sure I have a spare set with me.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

great guys, a pattern is starting to form.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Ran the new RB's at VIR for two days, and they are breaking in very well. I'm running prototype BHP pads, and the RB's seem to like them.

Based on inconsistent performance and deficient cooling of the OEM rotors, I do think the RB rotors are worth the extra money.

The whole point of this thread was really to express my surprise at how well my original set of OEM rotors held up, not to badmouth anybody. We bought another set of RB's, which obviously shows we think they have potential. So far it appears to be a good decision.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 rotor discussion

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 rotor discussion