Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR Grand Course, June 14-15, anyone going?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIR Grand Course, June 14-15, anyone going?

MazdaDrivers has an event on June 14-15 for the Grand Course at VIR. Don't know who is planning to go, but that is usually a good safe event with a lot of track time.

www.mazdadrivers.com
Old 05-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That is the least favorite configuration of mine at VIR. It was fun the first time I did it, but then it was a drag. It's extremely long and not enough laps to build up a rhythm, and if there's an incident it takes forever to get everyone back in.

Good luck there, and I'm sure y'all will have fun.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is the first year I will not be there. Mazda does a great job with their events. Unlike Jody, I love the grand config since I am a big fan of the "inner parts" of VIR.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:30 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I agree with Jody. I dislike the configuration enough that I do not go to events using it.
Ed
Old 05-24-2008, 01:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I will be there and enjoy what ever configuration is available at VIR. We will have a group of 7-10 Vettes up on the hill near the false covered grid. Come join us.
Old 05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I've never run the Grande course, so I am instructing this one. It doesn't look great on paper (the crossover sections), but it uses enough of the good parts of the full course that I think I'll like it much more than the North course.

Anyway, I will be there.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
That is the least favorite configuration of mine at VIR. It was fun the first time I did it, but then it was a drag. It's extremely long and not enough laps to build up a rhythm, and if there's an incident it takes forever to get everyone back in.

I did it twice and won't ever again.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:57 AM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm there!
Old 05-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll be there. I love the Grand course - its a workout! Fun to make the Corvette dance in the esses and turns! VIR Grand, Summit Point Shenandoah and Watkins Glen are among my favorites.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:27 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I'd like to try it, but I dont find VIR as exciting in general as lots of other people. It's probably 4th on my list after Road Atlanta, CMP and Barber.

But still way way ahead of Roebling. HAHAHAHAHAH
Old 05-26-2008, 08:33 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

what config is the best? which config do the pros run in ALMS or rolex? wish I could go but I'm signed up for Sebring that weekend.
Old 05-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I'd like to try it, but I dont find VIR as exciting in general as lots of other people. It's probably 4th on my list after Road Atlanta, CMP and Barber.

But still way way ahead of Roebling. HAHAHAHAHAH
Ummm...you put CMP ahead of VIR? When was your last competent psychological evaluation? I am seriously considering discounting any advice you might give due to judgement.

I have been to Barber and yes, its a fun track but its made for motorcycles and Porches. Never ran Rd Atlanta so I cannot comment on what I do not know.

Bob
Old 05-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by urslooow
what config is the best? which config do the pros run in ALMS or rolex? wish I could go but I'm signed up for Sebring that weekend.
The "Full Course" appears to be the most popular configuration run by the Rolex and other professional series.

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 05-26-2008 at 08:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:01 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

so the full course is the "outside" combined course or does it turn interiorly at any point?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

so the full course is the "outside" combined course or does it turn interiorly at any point?
The Full Course is the outside combined course vs. the Grand Course, which adds the "Patriot Course" interior section to the Full Course.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:18 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

The "full course" is the entire outside portion from the start/finish thru Turn 17a/Hog Pen onto the front straight. The "Grand" turns into the infield on the back straight at the right hand turn known as "The Bitch". Follow the "Patriot Course" thru turn 12a back to the full course. Have driven both courses and enjoy both equally. Really depends on what you are looking for. Full gives you the high speed front and back straights while the Grand gives you a bit more driving experience on the twisties. The "Spiral" is a blast. YMMV

Gene
Old 05-26-2008, 09:28 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

The full course is the most popular and I'm sure most people that have done them all will agree. I havent so I cant say, just speculating.

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Ummm...you put CMP ahead of VIR? When was your last competent psychological evaluation? I am seriously considering discounting any advice you might give due to judgement.

I have been to Barber and yes, its a fun track but its made for motorcycles and Porches. Never ran Rd Atlanta so I cannot comment on what I do not know.

Bob
I drive a Porsche hence the reason Barber is high on my list. I know some guys (David Farmer) dont like Alan Wilson tracks at all, I'm the opposite, I think they are creative and imaginative and make long straights not needed to have a lot of fun. Even though he can shove it with his opinion of tracks that do have long straights. You wont find many people with the exact same order of favorites when it comes to tracks, I respect other opinions, but my opinions belong to me.

But dont get me wrong, I like VIR a lot, I just wasnt in awe or itching to get back when I left.

To me a track is measured by how much fun you have minus the straights and parts that you just dont like. Specifically at CMP the whole back half of the the track from turn 3 all the way to 13 (i think - hairpin) is tremendous fun, and fast turns where momentum is key. At Road Atlanta 1-7 and 10a-12 are very fun to me and Barber is constant fun to me but just doesnt flow well like RA or CMP. There isnt any part of the three I dont like. As for VIR, Other than the esses and south bend I didnt find it all that fun (well braking into roller coaster is kinda fun too), somewhat fluid, but just ok to me. I dont really care for Nascar, Key Hole or Oak Tree. Which is why it's farther down on my list.

I'm almost positive I'll like Watkins Glen, Road America and Sebring better and I've only driven them on video games. But I'll know for sure in the next year or so.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR Grand Course, June 14-15, anyone going?

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I just don't like CMP...which is a shame, since it is so close to me. I like Alan, and worked with him when he re-built the World Challenge series in 00' (he brought the standing starts etc), but CMP is the worse road course in North America (IMHO).

I treat race tracks as a whole, and fluidity is key. VIR has it, Rd Atlanta has it, even Roebling has it. CMP is a chain of unrelated corners, that even driven perfectly has little "flow". You can blow turn one, and be back 100% by turn 3. At VIR or Rd Atlanta, if you blow a corner, you are still fighting that mistake 4-5 turns later.

Sebring and Rd America are fun, but they are just huge straights with some decent corners connecting them. While they rank far above CMP, they don't flow like VIR & Rd America.

Unfortunately, I may never see Barber. It looks nice on TV, but too far to go drive a DE or NASA race.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Interesting, I never looked at it that way, but I do understand what you are saying about Road Atlanta at least when if you blow a turn you can still be fighting it for half a lap. But I dont think there are many low speed tracks that will resemble the ones with big straights and very high speed corners like RA or VIR. And I dont think VIR has that same effect like Road Atlanta.

I had problems all day with turn 1 at CMP as my brakes/tire temps were off all day so I never knew when I'd actually stop compared to when I hit the brakes. You may be back at 100% by turn 3 but you blow turn 1 and it costs you dearly. In fact 1-3 is like 1 turn you have to get the whole thing right and there isnt only one way to do it. I dont see that as a negative.

I really dont see how you could find Roebling better than CMP, that is one comparo that I might actually get a majority vote. Most people I talk to go because it's there and is a track, but it's not high on anyones list. A bunch of bending, no imagination, no turns, no chicanes, no esses, no hairpins. Nothing but sweepers.

I havent been to all that many tracks, but I know CMP is at least better than Roebling. Even watching videos of races there is boring a lap full of maintenance throttle and coasting. The turns never get to the point. CMP has a variety of different turns and still flows well.
Old 05-27-2008, 05:53 PM
willhaveC6
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I will be there and looking forward to it. Can I plan on borrowing a jack as needed? (change brake pads etc.)

Quick Reply: VIR Grand Course, June 14-15, anyone going?