Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin PS2 the best all-round street/HPDE tire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 03:54 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Michelin PS2 the best all-round street/HPDE tire?

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these, but I wanted to throw the question out there and see if anyone thinks I should get something else.

The car's my daily driver, I drive a lot, about 30k per year. My stock F1 SC's have held up for 16k and they're still not down to the chords yet. Done one auto-x and 5 track days on them. I'd expect similar wear from a new set, which rules out r-comps. I do want the best grip I can get on the track, though.

The other restriction is that they need to fit the stock c6 wheels. I've decided I can wear out quite a few sets of street tires at this rate before a dedicated set of track wheels pays off.

I've been doing a lot of research and the ps2's seem to be the best I could come up with, but let me know if you've had better.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:04 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steel_3d
I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on these, but I wanted to throw the question out there and see if anyone thinks I should get something else.

The car's my daily driver, I drive a lot, about 30k per year. My stock F1 SC's have held up for 16k and they're still not down to the chords yet. Done one auto-x and 5 track days on them. I'd expect similar wear from a new set, which rules out r-comps. I do want the best grip I can get on the track, though.

The other restriction is that they need to fit the stock c6 wheels. I've decided I can wear out quite a few sets of street tires at this rate before a dedicated set of track wheels pays off.

I've been doing a lot of research and the ps2's seem to be the best I could come up with, but let me know if you've had better.
for all around weather driving and tread life you can't beat PS2's
and pretty decent on the track ...for street tires

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1998039

Last edited by rustyguns; 05-25-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 AM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Actually, I don't care much about all-weather capability, as it rains rarely enough here. Dry track performance and decent longevity (ie: price over time) are my only criteria.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by steel_3d
Actually, I don't care much about all-weather capability, as it rains rarely enough here. Dry track performance and decent longevity (ie: price over time) are my only criteria.
in that case you cannot beat kumho ecsta mx tires! be sure they are "MX"
Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I used Michelin PS tires for my first 10 DEs and street driving. I was very happy with them.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:05 AM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PS2,s seem to be the best thing going. The only other dual purpose tire I would consider is Kumho Ecsta MX. They perform well on the track and wear like iron but the PS2's are way better. Just comes down to cost you may be able to get 2 or more for the price of one.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

I am starting on my third year with the PS2s - 275/35R18 fronts and 305/30R19 rears.

I took them to the Discount Tire store where I purchased them this April. Tread wear was very even and only one tire-wheel assembly needed balance correction - Right Rear was out by 1/4 ounce of static imbalance.

I run about 6 track days a summer, and many miles of twisty road driving each season. The PS2s become very sticky after one to two laps of warmup and they are very predictable on the track.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're looking at cost, you've got to look at the Kumho MX. Great tire for the money

Last edited by Lancer033; 05-25-2008 at 08:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:34 PM
steel_3d
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys. The only problem with the MX is they don't have a c6 rear size.

Get notified of new replies

To Michelin PS2 the best all-round street/HPDE tire?

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 the best all-round street/HPDE tire?