Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 01:36 PM
mrm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Pad Question

Looking for some feedback from the road racing folks here ... what would you consider the best "performance STREET brake pad" for occasional HPDE/track use to be? Characteristics in order of importance is zero street noise then grip on track and last dust production.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Any pad you get that is made for any track use will have noise and dust. The best I have found are either Hawk HP Plus or Carbotech Panther Plus. Ceramics are no good for track use.

Bob
Old 05-25-2008, 02:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I like HP-Plus, espcially for C5's and non-Z06 C6's. If you reach speeds over 160 a lot, they tend to wear too quickly and require a lot of pedal pressure. They are pretty quiet on the street however
Old 05-25-2008, 02:15 PM
mrm
Instructor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I like HP-Plus, espcially for C5's and non-Z06 C6's. If you reach speeds over 160 a lot, they tend to wear too quickly and require a lot of pedal pressure. They are pretty quiet on the street however
David ... what do you prefer for the C6 Z06?
Old 05-25-2008, 02:29 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With all the speed you can generate with these cars I can't imagine trying to get on track with known marginal braking (ie. street pads).
Old 05-25-2008, 02:37 PM
mrm
Instructor

Default ok

Let me re-phrase the question ... short of a true "race/track pad," are there any street performance pad options you folks would consider to be better than the OEM C6 Z06 pads for occasional HPDE use?
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
With all the speed you can generate with these cars I can't imagine trying to get on track with known marginal braking (ie. street pads).

None do both unless you are just starting to drive at the track. If you are pulling any types of speeds you will end up in trouble.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:26 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Don't know if they make them for the C6Z but on a C5Z I use Carbotech XP10/XP8 for the track with street tires and leave them on for limited street driving.
I am finishing off a set of HP + doing AutoX (had previously used them on the track, after Z06 pads gave out)
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

I was going to say Hawk HP+ as well, they have a ton of street bite and do okay at the track hot...not great, just okay. But I disagree with David...they are noisy. They also dust very bad. Long story short, they are IMO the best street/track pad from a performance point of view. They dust and squeal.

Honestly, I'd say OEM Z06 pads. Similar to HP+ with less noise. (but still some noise)

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Pad Question

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question