Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Generations of Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:17 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Four Generations of Porsche

Spent last Thursday at Pocono North course with HOD. We had a rough morning with the Pocono curse (sunny for 15 minutes, then rain for 10, sunny for 15, rain for 10, etc, etc) - but shortly before lunch it cleared up and we had a stellar afternoon.

Here's a quick vid I put together - I happened to pass four generations of Porsches in the same session.

http://turbomike.net/Z06/Vids/FourPorsches.wmv

(or on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyufCfNtzHo

On a side note - Can anyone offer advice on how to get good sound out of the camera (i.e. cut down on wind noise, but keep the engine sounds)? This past day at the track I tried the 'tape over the mic' thing, but as you can hear in the video - it still made alot of noise, almost like crackling or something. I used masking tape - would something thicker and more pliable like black electrical tape make a difference? Or should I try a piece of foam over the mic to act as a wind sock of sorts?
Old 05-27-2008, 12:43 PM
s200
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
Spent last Thursday at Pocono North course with HOD. We had a rough morning with the Pocono curse (sunny for 15 minutes, then rain for 10, sunny for 15, rain for 10, etc, etc) - but shortly before lunch it cleared up and we had a stellar afternoon.

Here's a quick vid I put together - I happened to pass four generations of Porsches in the same session.

http://turbomike.net/Z06/Vids/FourPorsches.wmv

(or on YouTube)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyufCfNtzHo

On a side note - Can anyone offer advice on how to get good sound out of the camera (i.e. cut down on wind noise, but keep the engine sounds)? This past day at the track I tried the 'tape over the mic' thing, but as you can hear in the video - it still made alot of noise, almost like crackling or something. I used masking tape - would something thicker and more pliable like black electrical tape make a difference? Or should I try a piece of foam over the mic to act as a wind sock of sorts?

If your camera has a plug for a remote mic, get a cheap mic and mount it down near the floor. I had a camera mounted to a roll bar on a Spec Racer (open cockpit) and mounted the mic next to the seat and it worked great.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

I've had similar problems with noise. If your mic is attached to the camera, your options are limited. If you can run an external mic, try running it back into the trunk compartment. That still wasn't enough for mine, so I stuck it in about a 2x2" piece of packing styrofoam. That helped quite a bit, but it's still not what I want.

Here's some examples:

Slow course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dILK8wxozoo

Faster course: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEzK1vESDU

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-27-2008, 01:18 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A windscreen is the only real solution. Taping over or shoving a mic inside of something that is not acoustically transparent will help but it will be at the expense of muffling half the sound out too.

You can get cheap windscreens at Radio Shack of various sizes and cut them up if necessary. It's basically an open cell foam. Usually polyurethane, so if you have access to this type of material in sheet form, you can use as many layers as necessary to get your desired results. Foam from pillows or cushions is usually closed cell and does not work properly. The more wind, the more thickness you'll need. As suggested above, try finding a good low wind position first, then use the windscreens. Another tip is to have the windscreen in layers much like you would with clothing to keep warm. The space between helps insulate from the noise.

You can also stretch your wife's/girlfriend's panty hose over the mic a couple of inches away. Works great. But you also have to remember that the wind hitting the mic directly is not the only source of noise. The wind makes noise bouncing around in the cabin too and the mic will pick up that noise as well.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:57 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Great video, Mike!

I bet your Porchse buddies hate that video!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:03 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
Great video, Mike!

I bet your Porchse buddies hate that video!
They say they're not my buddies anymore since I can go around them.

(Your car is doing well out there)
Old 05-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo50mike
They say they're not my buddies anymore since I can go around them.

(Your car is doing well out there)
Looks like you are doing extremely well with it.

BTW, I love the Lambo!

I saw your video of the guy with the CTSV and all the stuff coming out of the exhaust pipe. I hated it for him, but that was hilarious!

Get notified of new replies

To Four Generations of Porsche

Quick Reply: Four Generations of Porsche