Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake cool down length?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Default Brake cool down length?

I was wondering if there is an optimal time for a cool down lap. Also is there an optimal speed? Is 40 MPH OK or is 60 MPH better? Would rotors last longer with a long cool down time, for example leaving the track and putting on a few highway miles?
Old 05-27-2008, 05:56 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Well ... I'm a novice at this, just going into my 5th year ... but I try not to hit my brakes on the cool down lap on a HPDE, and if I've been using them really hard I continue driving around the pits at pit speed for a few minutes before parking ... then after parking I roll the car a foot every couple minutes for about 10 minutes. I've never cracked a rotor.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

60 will bring more air than 40. You can drive around the pits a bit to keep air moving if cool down lap is short which many are. They do half laps when they flag end of session at two postions to save time at HPDE.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I'm fine with a slow cool-down in the paddock. Just shut er' down and don't touch the brakes until their ambiant. However, as above, 60mph moves more air than 40mph, but then you are on track less time so the cooling probably works out about the same.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Running past the finish line at Road America leaves very little for a cool down lap exit at turn 5. The amount of braking is the same to head out on the highway as to go back to the pits. A run to Plymouth or Elkhart lake is several miles at 55 MPH. I am starting to think I will do that after running rather then returning to the pits.

Is it OK to hijack instructors?

There is a lot of elevation changes on the RA grounds, I use the brakes a lot if I drive around the track lanes.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:31 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't use e-brake in the pits when hot
Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I sold mine on Ebay!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:43 PM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You might consider an inline fan if you have brake ducts, or aseparate duct for the fan. This would allow you to continue cooling the brakes as long as you want with air moving at a good speed and volume.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by eogel
You might consider an inline fan if you have brake ducts, or aseparate duct for the fan. This would allow you to continue cooling the brakes as long as you want with air moving at a good speed and volume.
I have wondered about that. What do people use? I am loathe to add extra weight at the same time.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

60 will bring more air than 40. You can drive around the pits a bit to keep air moving if cool down lap is short which many are. They do half laps when they flag end of session at two postions to save time at HPDE.
You should drive as fast as you can without using any braking and then do the above also if they are really hot. Also move the car a few feet in the pits after it sits for a few minutes so that the rotors cool off evenly. the calipers will hold the heat and keep the rotors from cooling down evenly.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:52 AM
eogel
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

The link below shows an example of the type of fan I am talking about. Although this particular one is intended for driver cooling, others just like it are available for other purposes.
http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=5752
Ed
Old 05-28-2008, 10:01 AM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I also do the fast as you can without braking technique on the last lap. I have spindle ducts that work pretty well at getting air to the rotors so I want the air blasting them as much as possible. I try to keep the engine cool by being up in 4th or 5th for that lap too.

Dog
Old 05-28-2008, 10:14 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

John,

I don't see an issue using the e-brake on a C5. The e-brake is basically an "expanding drum" which doesn't affect the rotor as it doesn't clamp it. Am I missing something?

Rick
Old 05-28-2008, 08:48 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rikhek
John,

I don't see an issue using the e-brake on a C5. The e-brake is basically an "expanding drum" which doesn't affect the rotor as it doesn't clamp it. Am I missing something?

Rick
It can stick and not release when you want it to.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Originally Posted by Snidley
It can stick and not release when you want it to.
My C4 parking brake got stuck a few days after an event when I went to use it. The rubber boot around the end cable melted into goo. After that it was extra weight.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

When it comes to cooling down your rotors wouldn't you want to do it as gradually as possible? The reason rotors crack is due to thermal shock going from hot to cold or cold to hot too quickly, so one would think the best way to cool the brakes would be gradually and evenly. If you are out on track beating your brakes the rotor temps can easily reach 900 to 1000 degrees, if you have cooling all the way to the spindle ducts then you are blasting a lot of air onto very hot rotors. I would think that doing your cooldown closer to 40 mph rather than 60 mph would be better because you are not ramming the air in as fast and cooling slowly.

Andrew, there is plently of places to keep driving at RA (when you come in off the track and head up to the pits take a right by the bathroom complex and meeting building, take a stroll past the Corvette Corral and then go to your pit stall). The hard part is to not have the outer face of the rotor cool down too quickly in the 40 degree weather we have at the early spring and late fall events, if you really are worried about cooling rotors evenly I would throw something over your wheels once you stop to keep the outside face from cooling down too fast. Keeping the heat in but also keeping it even.

Just some thoughts.

Get notified of new replies

To Brake cool down length?

Quick Reply: Brake cool down length?