Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot oil

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 07:18 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Hot oil

I just completed my second open track event in my 00FRC. At Roebling Road in March I saw oil temps of 250*, this past weekend at Sebring I had temps of 291*. I figured 250 was OK but 291 has me worried. And I plan to run Sebirng in August where track temps will be over 100*.

I have searched all over this forum and have more questions than answers at this point.

First it seems there are two different ways of attaching the oil lines to the block. One seems to bolt to the side of the block above the oil filter. The other is a sandwich adapter (with thermostat) that the filter attaches to.

Then there is the cooler itself. There seems to be two types of these. One is one copper tube that turns back and forth from the top to the bottom of the cooler. Then there is the kind built like a radiator with with two chambers on either side and flat channels running from side to side. I would think the latter would be better.

So how about me using the sandwich adapter with thermostat and the second type cooler like an Earls, or Morcal.

Oh, then the oil lines. I used bradded SS lines once and found them expensive $10 per foot and very expensive connectors (Earls).
So I was thinking of using rubber lines with no metal covering and hose clamps.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by jaybar; 05-27-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

There are well sorted out kits available! If you like to work on your car I have a list at Summit wish listed. I haven't installed this yet because I've only peaked at 235° oil temp.

Not sure if the adapter is the same for your newer 'vette.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...503ERL&FROM=MG

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...010ERL&FROM=MG

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...CV1010&FROM=MG

You'd need to plan out fittings:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...220758&FROM=MG
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 PM
jaybar
Racer

Well that's the compo I had in mind, but looking for a comment from someone who has installed this combo and tracked it.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I've seen over 300deg oil, but I don't like it. If you get a stand-alone cooler, get one that "squashes" the oil into flat tubes, not the round transmission cooler style.

Dave
Old 05-27-2008, 09:20 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Jay -

I used a sandwich adapter as I thought the oil temp sensor block adapter was too restrictive. I also ran -10 lines everywhere instead of -8 like I could have.

I've heard from a reliable source that the block adapter does cause some pressure problems. The reliable source worked for a company that makes radiators/oil coolers and was in my passenger seat commenting on the great oil pressure I had.

Take that for whatever its worth.

On the SS lines, its worth it. Just make sure you have a covering over the line ESPECIALLY where it touches aluminum. The stuff is like a file, and will easily cut through a radiator.

That said, the line of Earl's push on fittings with the good push on hose is probably good enough. I've used russell push on fittings and find them lacking compared to the Earls (or Fragola). In a pinch I'd say use them - I have. Of course I've also pulled them out and put in proper SS lines (wish I could have afforded the nomex covered stuff instead).

As far as oil coolers go, if the car is mostly street driven you might be better off with the cooler thats built into the radiator. If you go with the proper oil cooler (heed what David says about the kind of cooler you want) AND you street drive you'll want to look at a thermostat block for the oil lines. Otherwise you'll be blocking off the oil cooler in the winter.

The one disadvantage of the sandwich adapter is that it lowers the oil filter and, in my mind, making it more vulnerable to being struck by debris from below.

What I did instead was to use a remote oil filter block adapter instead, and eliminated the oil filter under the car, and plumbed a canton remote canister filter into the oil cooler line (ahead of the cooler).
Old 05-27-2008, 10:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 05-27-2008, 10:28 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

when the warning light comes on, start worrying about it.
until then, enjoy your car.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 PM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bump this as, when I street drive the car I don't need an oil cooler but for racing, I would like one.

I'd also love to hear experiences of people using the t-stat style oil adapter.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:38 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
There are well sorted out kits available! If you like to work on your car I have a list at Summit wish listed. I haven't installed this yet because I've only peaked at 235° oil temp.

Not sure if the adapter is the same for your newer 'vette.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...503ERL&FROM=MG

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...010ERL&FROM=MG

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...CV1010&FROM=MG

You'd need to plan out fittings:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...220758&FROM=MG
this would work great
Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 AM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a DRM kit on my C5 and it worked great. Lowered temps from 300 to below 250 and installation is pretty easy.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:09 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrz1
Had a DRM kit on my C5 and it worked great. Lowered temps from 300 to below 250 and installation is pretty easy.
THE best mod I had done to my car was putting on the Oil cooler.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:32 AM
jaybar
Racer

Checked the DRM web page and did not see a stand alone oil cooler, did I miss something, or do they only sell the radiator with the oil cooler built in?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:07 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I use the Dewitts radiator with engine oil cooler. Both coolant and oil temps are way down on the track and it works well on the street.

Some people do not like the fact that it is a combo system, but it works well especially for people that street their car....

Old 05-28-2008, 08:20 AM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a Ron Davis rad, DRM external oil cooler, Trans and Diff cooler. I have nothing but praise for their products. My 427 C5 has been cool ever since.

DRM uses Setrab or Mocal coolers which are the best on the planet. IMHO

Give Randy @ DRM a call 763-477-9272
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a DRM stand alone oil cooler and it has lowered my oil temps considerably. I don't run a thermostat since mine is track dedicated.

If you run on the street too, you may want to add a thermostat or block the cooler so your oil temps will get high enough. The oil needs to heat up to boil off liquids. Otherwise they stay in the oil and create an acid.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:42 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

JayBar,
I know what you are thinking on the rubber lines. They are much cheaper but can cause all sorts of issues in the future. I already talked one guy out of them this month, sorry Rick. At the track you will have crap flying up from your tires under the car. It is pretty easy to mess up a hose under the hood.

Our kit works very well for the first timer. I build every line myself, I have been building AN style lines since I was 12 years old. It's not that hard of a project, if you have the right tools.

We have a ton of pictures that I could send you for our package. I just need a email address.

Our oil cooler package is under the engine Components section. I would be happy to send over all the photos!!!

Thanks
Randy
www.dougrippie.com
763-477-9272
Old 05-29-2008, 11:18 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I use the Dewitts radiator with engine oil cooler. Both coolant and oil temps are way down on the track and it works well on the street.

In So Cal where the outside temperature is 110F outside this combination works very well. Without it, 2-3 laps around the track and you are at a 300+ oil temp.

DeWitt makes a nice kit that is fairly easy to install.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot oil

Old 05-29-2008, 12:50 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
We have a ton of pictures that I could send you for our package. I just need a email address.

Our oil cooler package is under the engine Components section. I would be happy to send over all the photos!!!

Thanks
Randy
www.dougrippie.com
763-477-9272
PM sent.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:51 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I sent three guys a huge email. One of the three said they didn't get it. Anyone else have any problems getting it????

Please let me know
Randy
Old 06-03-2008, 09:31 AM
jtkeller
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Can someone forward me the email as well? jtkeller01@gmail.com

How does the LPE oil cooler kit compare to the DRM? I need one, but have been put off by the cooler than ideal oil temps in winter and the need to put a cover over the oil cooler. I've heard that this is sometimes still an issue even with a tstat.

Quick Reply: Hot oil