Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone ordered a Blackstone Oil Analysis?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 05:59 PM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ordered a Blackstone Oil Analysis?

My new motor is ready for 2002 ZO6. I was at CMP in April 2008 and number 7 piston blew. After 5 years of HPDE on tracks like Pocono, Watkins, BeaverRun, CMP, VIR not bad considering the abuse (with love of course). I have a new LS3 motor ready to go in the car with stronger bottom-end parts and more stuff. The car should be back together next week and after the break-in I am sending an oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories for analysis. Has anyone done this? I am looking to get some feedback on this service! Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 06:14 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fantastic.

I've been sending them my oils (engine, rear diff) for a few years now. Invaluable advice, cheap insurance. If you want to see a real example PM me your email and I'll send you one of my reports.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:15 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I use them all the time.
I don't believe in oil coolers, and the blackstone oil analysis shows my LT4 track motor is perfect.

I used them for my work van, and they told me the motor had severe bearing damage, and 6 weeks later I spun a bearing.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Blackstone service works great. Did my Excursion amd Dodge diesels. I was changing the oil at 7500 on both. After oil test I was told Ford at 5,000 and Dodge at 10,000. So now they both get what they need. Dodge Cummins showed very low wear on the motor. Ford oil viscosity dropped because of fuel in the oil. At 7500 the 15/40 was now like 10/30 at best.

Car I was told to change the 10/30 Mobil 1 at 2500 track only miles miles, Also was rated showing very low wear

Air cleaner is working great on all three
Old 05-28-2008, 09:16 PM
lbarnard
Racer

For the money I wonder why more of the folks on this forum don't use it? Any thoughts on the frequency of this analysis? I did not think of the rear-end fluid analysis. Great idea!
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Car I was told to change the 10/30 Mobil 1 at 2500 track only miles miles, Also was rated showing very low wear
John was changing his oil after every track event
Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I started using them not too long ago, good info to have and can hlep identify a potential failure before it happens.

don't expect much from the first report on a new engine though. its likely there will be high amounts of metal and other misc things. its cool to see the amounts drop after a couple oil changes.
Old 05-29-2008, 02:41 AM
linutux
Pro

Just did a first analysis at 18,000. Wish I had done it sooner. It's cheap piece of mind and a good indicator of what's going on inside your engine. Service was excellent.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:07 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by larryfs
John was changing his oil after every track event
not me if I dipped the stick and it was still slippery it was fine for another 10,000
Old 05-29-2008, 08:50 AM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,398 Likes on 749 Posts

I've been using them for three of my family cars. Great service and excellent analysis of what the numbers mean.

Example: I sent in a sample from my family car ('96 Crown Vic), and the analysis came back with no coolant found in the oil, but two of the other indicators (can't remember exactly which right now) led Blackstone to tell me they thought there was a possibility of a small leak contaminating the oil.

Sent in another sample on the next oil change, things were getting slightly worse. Still no coolant found in the oil (leak was too small, and it was broken down in the oil), but the wear was definitely increasing.

So, I pulled the intake manifold, and sure enough, one of the silicone gaskets had extruded slightly; you could see the coolant track into the oil passage.

I ran that car another 50-74K miles before I sold it to get an '03 CV.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Has anyone ordered a Blackstone Oil Analysis?

Quick Reply: Has anyone ordered a Blackstone Oil Analysis?