Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My race car needs a name!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 11:50 PM
notdads
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My race car needs a name!

Okay, so I am going to need your help. I have to name the race car!

I know, I know, I should have done it by now, but it is just too damn hard. It is hard to give the car her permanent identity. It is like naming a child. I had nine months to ponder that decision, with this I have much much less time. So here is the list that I have come up with so far. Please let me know which one I should pick. I will put a little explaination next to it if I have to. The car's current name is E.T., the Extra Terrestrial (from about 1984-present), and before that it was Close Encounters (about 1976-1984). It has kept with a space theme for those years.

I am pondering the following names:
Full Circle (this is because the previous owner said the car has now come full circle in it's racing and life; from Oly and back to Oly too)

Dirty Deeds

Shark Bite

Close Call

Close Encounters

Another Chance

The Mach 5

Twist of Fate

I am totally open to any other great names that you might come up with. The car was originally wrecked in the nose when she was four months old. She was then rebuilt, customized and became a race car. She has a really rich racing history (documented from 1969 to 1991). From 1991 to 2007 the car sat in a garage. I bought the car and put her back on the track. Now, I am about to do paint, custom graphics, etc. and the car needs a new name. Help me out guys. I have been pondering this decision for several months and no one has come up with any better names for me.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:28 AM
notdads
Racer

Gee, not sure what crawled up yours? That was really rude. I happen to take an interest in the fact that I am racing a vintage, and historic race car, not like some people that just head out the car lot, pick a new car and take it to the track for a day and consider themselves drivers!

This is serious to me, only because this is what the car is going to be seen as from here on out, because I plan on owning this car 'til I die, or something pretty close.

Loosin' up, don't be so rude. Life is too short.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:39 AM
notdads
Racer

For your information, and if you could read, I posted that the car's previous names were:

Close Encounters
and the Extra Terestrial.

It has always had a name, and I am trying to carry on a new chapter of the life of the car by naming it again. Trust me, there is no such thing as putting a bag over the head of this car. It is not your average run of the mill Corvette by any means.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:11 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Hey, I'm not trying to be rude. You're right, life is to short and I'm just having a little fun. My point is that very, very few people in the racing forum "name" their cars. They're seen as mechanical tools used for one purpose, to go fast around a given set of turns connected by straight sections. We beat them, break them, fix them and then do it again.

The waxing/car show forum would be a better place to elicit suggestions.

I'll let the other racers take over from here.......

Have fun!

Rick

P.S. I would like to see some pics of the car. Looks nice from the avatar.

Last edited by rikhek; 05-29-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:26 AM
notdads
Racer

This is not a show car by any means.

This is a real, full blown, certified, purpose built race car. I race her about every 3rd weekend from February through October. I don't show her, I really drive her, and more than most. She gets beat on, but taken care of at the same time. I just wanna be sure to keep her the way that she belongs as well, history in tact. This is a "SOVREN" type of era historic racer. She might be a race car, but she has been well taken care of, and I am proud to own this head turner.

Thanks for your opinions,
Meagan
Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by notdads
Gee, not sure what crawled up yours? That was really rude. I happen to take an interest in the fact that I am racing a vintage, and historic race car, not like some people that just head out the car lot, pick a new car and take it to the track for a day and consider themselves drivers!

This is serious to me, only because this is what the car is going to be seen as from here on out, because I plan on owning this car 'til I die, or something pretty close.

Loosin' up, don't be so rude. Life is too short.

L.P.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:30 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

I really would like to see some pics and hear some details on power, suspension, brakes, etc.

Rick
Old 05-29-2008, 01:35 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by HORNDAWG

L.P.
Horndawg, I said I was just havin' a little fun. I guess my sense of humor isn't appreciated.

BTW, I missed your suggestion of a name???

Rick
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 AM
HORNDAWG
Instructor

Originally Posted by rikhek
Horndawg, I said I was just havin' a little fun. I guess my sense of humor isn't appreciated.

BTW, I missed your suggestion of a name???

Rick
O.K. I guess that is my bad as I did not see your qualifier!

As to a name, there are so many it's.... I feel it is important to know some history of the car and owner to be able to suggest something appropriate. My last race car was named by my wife; she (the car) was called "That other B_tch", affectionately of course.

L.P.
Old 05-29-2008, 03:03 AM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HORNDAWG
O.K. I guess that is my bad as I did not see your qualifier!

As to a name, there are so many it's.... I feel it is important to know some history of the car and owner to be able to suggest something appropriate. My last race car was named by my wife; she (the car) was called "That other B_tch", affectionately of course.

L.P.
I guess then since my car came before any wife I might have, mine should be called "The First B!tch"
Old 05-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

When will it break? Will it brake? Can it make the turn? Will it run out of gas before I finish? How much will that cost? Did that oil pressure needle just fluctuate? Another set of tires, already? What the hell is that puddle under the car? Where did I put Gene Culley's phone number? Radios? What radios? Hmmm... does that coolant temp look too high? Ah hell, it'll hold together for another lap.....won't it? Data Logger? What the hell is a data logger? How do I tap into the throttle position sensor? Do I have the best setting on these triple adjustable shocks? Holy crap, did #18 just scrape the side of my car? Should I file an incident report? Man, I should have kept those rains on, this is going to cost a lot of money and hurt like hell! Damn, I don't remember that noise! That's a new vibration! Uh oh, did I torque that shock mounting bolt before I got that phone call? 100 octane is how much? etc.....

For all of these reasons and hundreds of others, all racecars should be named "High Anxiety!"

But, OTOH, if you enjoy all those reasons, just name it "Wurthit!"
Old 05-29-2008, 06:01 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey meagan,
They're a tuff crowd in this section.... too much testosterone!

Naming cars ain't really my thing, but red '68 roadsters are a turn on.
Yours looks quite special.... avatar doesn't show much detail...
looks like you have a tilt up front, similar to a C4? Would love to see more pics.

As to a name.... here's a suggestion.

Did the movie "Finding Nemo" get any playtime in the US?
The Australian animated movie based on the Great Barrier Reef.

The C3 vettes are known as "sharks" (based on promo mako shark II design)

Keep the name simple, and as we guys tend to consider cars as having a female persona..... you could give your ruggedly handsome vette a male name ....

BRUCE

Old 05-29-2008, 06:06 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

name that fits them all Money Pit!
Old 05-29-2008, 06:47 AM
OzzyTom
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Meagan,
I've obviously got far too much time on my hands at the moment....

You'll be racing the vette, and you will no doubt make your presence felt..... pestering the opposition under brakes, holding tight on their rears through the bends, then sitting under their tails down the straight, drafting for that extra speed to duck out and pass them under brakes into the next corner.

Your opposition will see you approaching intheir mirrors... and be saying... "Oh NO! NOT her Again!"

You can give them a little wave, and say Yep! It's ME AGAIN

there's your car's new name...... ME AGAIN

Last edited by OzzyTom; 05-29-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 AM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

C3's rock Too bad your on the left coast. Good luck with ole what-cha-ma-call-it.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:37 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by notdads
Okay, so I am going to need your help. I have to name the race car!
. She has a really rich racing history (documented from 1969 to 1991).
I think naming a race car is childish but I would be interested in hearing about the "rich racing history"......
redvetracr
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 AM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redvetracr
I think naming a race car is childish

Get notified of new replies

To My race car needs a name!

Old 05-29-2008, 09:15 AM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mwvettec5
No it's not childish...it's just girlish and we testorone generatng types just don't get it.

Both my wife, sister and daughters named thier cars. Hell they even named my race car RV hauler Homer (Inspired by the Simpson's episode where Homer buys The "ultimate Behemoth").

I think the reactions here are pretty predictable given the nature of we male types who race cars.
Cire
Old 05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by cire96
No it's not childish...it's just girlish and we testorone generatng types just don't get it.

Both my wife, sister and daughters named thier cars. Hell they even named my race car RV hauler Homer (Inspired by the Simpson's episode where Homer buys The "ultimate Behemoth").

I think the reactions here are pretty predictable given the nature of we male types who race cars.
Cire
thats cute, childish but cute...neither I or my two daughters & wife (who have been my sole support at the race track for 11 years) ever named one of my race cars and NO ONE ever called my racer a "she"...
redvetracr
Old 05-29-2008, 10:35 AM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OzzyTom
there's your car's new name...... ME AGAIN
Good one.

A friend named her twin-turbo C6 "Man Eater". She had a cartoon shark decal made with Man Eater on it to put on her car.

She's been running a C5 Z06 on the track for several years and is a very good driver. Now she's got lots more HP and it is set up for the track. She says she's going to put a bumper sticker on the back that says "You've been passed by a GIRRRRRL!".

We kid her husband that he can't drive her car now. If he's driving a car that says "Man Eater" people will look at him funny

Quick Reply: My race car needs a name!