Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with alignment (Toe settings mainly)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Savior1974
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with alignment (Toe settings mainly)

OK, taking my car in today to have my alignment fixed. See this thread...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1565670754

I have the camber and caster settings that I want. I will be having them set the caster to 7.1 on both sides, and front camber will be -1.2 across, rear will be -1.0 across. But what do I do with the toe. I see that I want 1/16" out in the front and 1/16' in in the rear, but what does that equal in degrees? I'm trying to figure out what exactly I need to tell them to set the toe to and I think they work with degrees. BTW my car is all stock and I'm still on stock rims and tires.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

1/32 at the rim is about 0.1deg. 0.3deg is max OEM allows, and is about as much as you want in any car that is street driven.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:28 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

We sell a tool for this that is easy for everyone to use. Please download the instructions and see if it is something you would use. We developed it because we all need this capability and it takes the "black magic" out of alignments. With this, you can see what works for you, and not rely on suggested alignments.

http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...%20rev1(1).pdf

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=44
Old 05-29-2008, 09:42 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
We sell a tool for this that is easy for everyone to use. Please download the instructions and see if it is something you would use. We developed it because we all need this capability and it takes the "black magic" out of alignments. With this, you can see what works for you, and not rely on suggested alignments.

http://hardbarusa.com/uploads/image/...%20rev1(1).pdf

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...products_id=44
Gary,

I like your method but if you use jack stands on all four corners how do you get the stichion out of the suspension to guarantee you are at full rested compression which is equivilant to rolling the car back and forth so suspension settles? If the suspension is not fully compressed at rideheight the toe setting will be off.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

What you do is check it after you do it this way and note the differences (if any) with the tires on using just the red angles as toe plates. Mark this on the tool with a Sharpie and you are now calibrated and will be "dead nuts" on from here on. It does not take many aglinment shop bills to pay for this tool, and this tool will last forever, and allow changes at the track in minutes.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:30 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

What you do is check it after you do it this way and note the differences (if any) with the tires on using just the red angles as toe plates. Mark this on the tool with a Sharpie and you are now calibrated and will be "dead nuts" on from here on. It does not take many aglinment shop bills to pay for this tool, and this tool will last forever, and allow changes at the track in minutes.
Gary,

I agree a great trackside tool that is exactly why I am considering it. But won't the sitchion issue be unpredicatable because you can't jack the car up the same way each time and therefore, you can never predict how much stichion you will have at any corner and therefore, if you are off in one corner you will never be able to compensate in a reproducible way. I must be missing something? I'm stuck on stichion.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

It is pretty consistant from jack stands to ride height. The difference should be consistant and if it is not, you need to lube your bushings and sway bars.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:56 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

I should add that it is now slotted/machined for all 5 lug cars. Now you can share this tool with your Porsche/BMW/Mustang friends (if any!). See, we are not a software company! Viper adapters sold separately.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

It is pretty consistant from jack stands to ride height. The difference should be consistant and if it is not, you need to lube your bushings and sway bars.
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:12 PM
kpctoy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just wanted to chime in and give my opinion on this piece. I had been looking for something that would allow me to run 2 different alignments, one for track and one for street. After talking with Gary over the phone about what this piece could do in regards to my needs, I was convinced. I'm not real technical and sometimes written directions just don't make sense. Gary not only offered to deliver the piece (I'm about 30 minutes from him) but he also spent over 3 hours with me showing me how to use it. As you can image this was a huge "Aha" as far as understanding how to use it correctly. He and I did a complete front and rear toe and thrust angle setup for track that left me with the ability to do a street setup with ease. Not only do I highly recommend this tool, the beauty is in it's ease of use. Don't think twice, ORDER IT UP!

I'd also like to say thank you to Gary. I've been a part of DSM clubs and Miata clubs over the years but I've never once had a vendor not only deliver but offer to help as well. The Corvette community should be grateful to have such a fantastic vendor/car guy amongst it's ranks.

Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Hey, it was my pleasure ! I am jealous of your "garage mahal"! Too bad it was raining and we could not have much fun in my C6Z...

Get notified of new replies

To Help with alignment (Toe settings mainly)

Quick Reply: Help with alignment (Toe settings mainly)