Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat shielding/insulation

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 03:01 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default heat shielding/insulation

Has anyone wrapped their trans tunnel with a reflective heat shield or anything like that to keep temps down in the cabin?

Somewhere I saw a pic of a C5 with its trans tunnel wrapped in some type of heat sheilding, I just can't find it anymore.

Reason I'm asking is because I have my driveline out now and wanted to do this, along with the tunnel plate, before everything goes back in.

Also was curious what brand and type of insulation works best. Jegs and summit both sell rolls of the stuff, does anyone have FIRST hand experience with any? :
Old 05-30-2008, 04:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think LG sells it.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

I ended up doing the interior and installed Reflectix and Frost King insulation throughout, and used Dynamat Xtreme in the doors. I also added an Elite Engineering Ceramic Coated Tunnel Plate. All in all, I noticed a dramatic drop in my interior temps, especially in stop and go traffic. An added side benefit was reduction in noise. Keep in mind however, total weight added was approximately 22-24 lbs. not including the E/E Tunnel Plate.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine done with a product from DEI. you can get it from Summit Racing and what I can tell you is that it makes a SIGNIFICANT reduction in heat...see link

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...10060&D=310060

As a note.. I had a race shop do mine and this is what they use for their prep cars when needed
Old 05-30-2008, 08:57 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

The DEI product above is great.

Also, I've bought ceramic blankets and boards from this company. However, I found the below photo of someone appearantly gluing a brake pad back together, which makes me question their marketting.....

http://www.cotronics.com/vo/cotr/

Old 05-30-2008, 09:20 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks good. I'm just doing the tunnel so I'm not worried much about the weight especially it being down low.

gettreal, thats exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:09 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have at least 6 different products, mostly from DEI, that will be used in my race car, tunnel, exhaust, firewall, etc...........

Since the majority of my track time will be at MMP and it is hot there all summer long, I am doing all I can to make sure I have fun, not just roasting away

Cool shirt will be used as well as NACA ducts blowing allot of air into the cabin.

Since I am building the car very lite I can afford to add a bit of material to keep it more comfortable.

Rick
Old 05-31-2008, 07:15 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
I ended up doing the interior and installed Reflectix and Frost King insulation throughout, and used Dynamat Xtreme in the doors. I also added an Elite Engineering Ceramic Coated Tunnel Plate. All in all, I noticed a dramatic drop in my interior temps, especially in stop and go traffic. An added side benefit was reduction in noise. Keep in mind however, total weight added was approximately 22-24 lbs. not including the E/E Tunnel Plate.

Nice
Old 05-31-2008, 08:34 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I bought the fitted pad for the tunnel but can't remember the vendor. It is a little on the heavy side but fits nicely using existing screws. It has survived many track weekends and does the job intended. The cabin console never gets as hot as it once did without it. It was a little pricey though. I believe around $250? Still, I highly recommend it.

Two reasons I bought it: 1. I once reached in to get an allen wrench for the camera out of the console and almost branded my finger tips!!

2. I have seen heat damage on some consoles/carpet from not using one.

Get notified of new replies

To heat shielding/insulation

Quick Reply: heat shielding/insulation