Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent ABS issue on C5

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:24 AM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

i changed the module on the abs box...fixed the car right up...
Johnny
Old 08-25-2009, 02:18 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

By you saying you replaced the rear hubs twice I take it you've checked the SKF's to make sure you didn't get a bad set...can't remember but something about the plugs I thought people had a few issues with at first?
Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
As long as the car does not show a Check Engine Light. That can be grounds for DQ.

Oli
Oli,
That rule has since changed in SCCA, so don't worry about a DQ for a check engine light.

Aaron
Old 08-25-2009, 03:10 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey Oli....

I replaced our hubs (4) with the SKFs and after about two events, started seeing an intermittent ABS/AH/TC error. Mine was traced down to the right rear harness. The harness rides the ebrake line and had rotated around to the back side and the wheel had actually wore a hole in the sensor harness.......just enough to short 'occasionally' depending on chassis load.

Just another possible thing to check in an endless chase.........

ADDED: I just noticed the dates on Oli's last post..........am sure this problem has been erradicated..........yes?

Last edited by CP Thunder; 08-25-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:27 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder
Hey Oli....

I replaced our hubs (4) with the SKFs and after about two events, started seeing an intermittent ABS/AH/TC error. Mine was traced down to the right rear harness. The harness rides the ebrake line and had rotated around to the back side and the wheel had actually wore a hole in the sensor harness.......just enough to short 'occasionally' depending on chassis load.

Just another possible thing to check in an endless chase.........

ADDED: I just noticed the dates on Oli's last post..........am sure this problem has been erradicated..........yes?

i believe you're right :o
Old 08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
ryan0
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CP Thunder

Oddly enough he was having ABS issues 2 weeks ago.

No codes.. just random lockup.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:44 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Oli go out to MMP?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 AM
96solo
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ding, ding, Ding! I found it!

The brake unit was intermittingly dropping voltage below the required 5 volts, and kicking a variety of brake codes and causing rear wheel lock up once. The brake unit gets its power through a junction terminal through the starter from the battery. The internal junction had totally cracked from the heat causing an intermitent grounding. I replaced the starter, put on a new heat blanket and covered all the wiring with aluminum thermal tape.

Not problem for a year!

D.J. Covert
2008 NASA-AZ TTS Champion
Old 09-23-2009, 11:03 PM
crazyrondo
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tcs/abs

look for wire's grounding, had the same problem, found shorted wire under
front leaf spring, replaced, no more ABS/TCS codes... racing this weekend, no come home on flat bed tow truck!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:59 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

you seem far too senior a member to not know this, but maybe this is the problem, try grounding the calipers. I had to do this when I installed s.s. braided brake lines. Just a single wire from the calipers to the frame of the car could solve your problem.
Old 09-24-2009, 01:42 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Wow! This thread I started well over a year ago.

It turned out to be a worn wire shorting out intermittently.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:24 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Wow - an old thread lives on! When I started reading this, the first thing that occurred to me was how - especially in track rat cars - the power steering fluid resevoir will dump PS fluid right down onto the ABS module below it. This can wreak havoc with the wiring harness, plug, and the module itself. For those of you who track the car often, zip-tie a shop rag to the lid of your PS resevoir to catch the fluid as it comes out. You might be surprised how quickly it gets saturated - I was!
Old 09-24-2009, 10:04 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
Wow! This thread I started well over a year ago.

It turned out to be a worn wire shorting out intermittently.

chased that problem myself....and will again as long as we keep running them hard at the track
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mikahb
Wow - an old thread lives on! When I started reading this, the first thing that occurred to me was how - especially in track rat cars - the power steering fluid resevoir will dump PS fluid right down onto the ABS module below it. This can wreak havoc with the wiring harness, plug, and the module itself. For those of you who track the car often, zip-tie a shop rag to the lid of your PS resevoir to catch the fluid as it comes out. You might be surprised how quickly it gets saturated - I was!
just put in a new PS pump and a new (to me) PS fluid....fluid expanded more than I thought and I found my rag fix pretty quick
Old 09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I just had the other way happen to me last track event. The pump would come on during light braking applications. I'm thinking my tire sizes are too close, because it was the only thing that I changed

Randy
Old 09-30-2009, 12:18 AM
az55
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's weird and coincidental that several of us have had this problem recently and then this old post appears!

Thanks Oli and all the other contributors. I was going nuts trying to track down this problem before I hurt myself or others.

This issue caused me to go off several times into the gravel at Firebird West Track last week-end. If the same thing had happened at Phoenix International, I would have been into the wall HARD.

Now that we have some ideas as to what to look for, maybe We can actually find the fix. Until then, I can't trust the car and that's no fun.

I'll post the cause when we find it.

Cheers,
CV
Old 09-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by az55
It's weird and coincidental that several of us have had this problem recently and then this old post appears!

Thanks Oli and all the other contributors. I was going nuts trying to track down this problem before I hurt myself or others.

This issue caused me to go off several times into the gravel at Firebird West Track last week-end. If the same thing had happened at Phoenix International, I would have been into the wall HARD.

Now that we have some ideas as to what to look for, maybe We can actually find the fix. Until then, I can't trust the car and that's no fun.

I'll post the cause when we find it.

Cheers,
CV
Check your connectors, too. Both where they plug in and where the wires affix to the actual connector. I have found that those can cause intermittent connectivity.

Oli

Old 09-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Zenak
Terminal Vette Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

After a day out at the track, I take the car home and I SCRUB off the brake dust.
Calipers & hubs/ control arms.
Wheels, etc.

Often after all that cleaning (and tons of water) i get those codes when i first fire up teh car. After hitting the roads, and braking on the street pads some to get them used to the glazed rotors the heat dries it all out.

I park the car. Turn it off. Clear the codes. And on next start up they gone.

My point to you is, that water i think shorts the hub speed sensors and causes this problem. The heat dries them, and fine.

I would try lookin at the sensor / hubs. You might have a metls wire short.

K
Old 09-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Krispy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Krispy
Had a similar issue this past weekend except it was the battery sliding around and loosening up the connectors. A cheap fix.

Be careful with this one, having your ABS go at the exact wrong moment can replicate the feeling something breaking in your steering which could lead to an off track excursion. Also, if your running aggressive rear pads with no ABS than the rear tires will tend to lock up(or atleast upset the car) under certain weight transfer conditions.
To follow-up, I was getting the C1214 code and sent it off to ABSFixer. They repaired the unit and problem solved, car is perfect.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/cana...mpionship.html

Quick Reply: Intermittent ABS issue on C5