Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wow! C5 floors are tough!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:31 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Wow! C5 floors are tough!

So I'm planning my rollcage and the hardest part is gaining access to weld the top of the cage yet building the cage as close to the inside of the car as possible. I had the bright idea of removing the plastic floors bonded to the metal frame which would allow me to drop the cage down to weld the top of it and weld to the underside of the cage feet anchors better. What a genius I thought. I used a heatgun to soften the epoxy that holds the bonded in floor. Then I used a floor jack to put pressure on the area most heated. Well I totally failed. That floor is in there so well I could lift the 3000lb car from the plastic floor just by putting a floor jack there! I could never get one part to break away so i could just peel the rest. Oh well plan 2 will be to drill 4" hole in the floor to kinda do the same thing. Plan 3 will be to cut a section of the floor out and replace it with sheet metal which could get me another
1" of headroom. Everyone could use another 1" eh? Anyone have tricks to get the floor out before I start cutting holes?

Why did GM use a bonded floor? It is so think and strong it can't be lighter than a sheetmetal floor could it? Was GM's idea for the floor to be a structural member?
Old 06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

may have a little strucural value it is end grain balsa like used it boats. Probably good for preventing sound transmission.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

laminated balsa wood... VERY strong and VERY light!!! they've used the process in sail boats for a long long time!!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:06 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I don't think it is intended to be structural, but it is strong. The thickness gives it a very high moment of inertia (compared to sheet metal/aluminum), and it is light relative to a solid material of the same thickness.

Just get a jigsaw, grinder, or small air saw and you can cut it like butter.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Why did GM use a bonded floor? It is so think and strong it can't be lighter than a sheetmetal floor could it? Was GM's idea for the floor to be a structural member?
It's for chassis stiffness. Stiffness increases with the cube of the volume of the structure; therefore balsa was used to get the thickness needed for the stiffness the engineers were wanting/needing.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Wow! C5 floors are tough!

Quick Reply: Wow! C5 floors are tough!