Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great weekend with CRMC

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:57 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Great weekend with CRMC

Just back from Kershaw with CRMC. This club puts on such a great, well organized and fun event. James Ray and his team limit their entrys to something like 75 students plus instructors, so there is always plenty of room. Their beginners or D class was a little crowded this year, but they made some corrections and got it worked out. The weather was great but warm. Then again, it is summer in the South.

I had two great students. Russ B. in a C6 vert honked on that thing for all it was worth. This was his first track event and Russ turned out to be a very fast, smooth and capable driver. He picked up the line quickly and I just rode around most of the second day with only minor suggestions needed.

Nancy H was in the intermediate group and was well placed. Any of you guys who bring a big ego to track had better watch out. Nancy, in a C4, is going to embarrass some of you. She is ready to move up to the A group and, if she chooses, will make a great instructor in a year or so. Nancy is the better half of team Kanmer who was also there. Bob was a rocket at CMP until some mechanical issues shut him down for the weekend.

The event was well attended by Corvettes, with about 10 Vettes of various vintages on track. They allow parade laps during quiet time and it looked like a Corvette parade because Queen City Corvette out of Charlotte showed up in force to support thier members on track.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:46 PM
94ZR1#444
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wally, did the C6 convertible have a rollbar? Just curious.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

No. CMRC is the only club I know of that allows verts to run without roll bars. They limit them to the D group and then allow the instructor to set the speed with reasonable and prudent. They also make sure the instructor is OK with his ride. I did not have a problem with it.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:00 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

This event was well run. I was very impressed with the organization. There was plenty of open track in the advanced groups. As a matter of fact I was the only one behind the pace car when we pulled out for the last session I ran. There were only 7 people in my run group. Only 7 in Nancy's also. I would highly recommend running with these guys andy day. Track time was very good. I ran on Friday with the "A" group and instructors. Come & go as you please on track all day. There was a retro Daytona Prototype kit car there that did 200 laps on friday. Myrah from Black Dog Racing did 2 hours straight in preparation for their enduro at Barber this coming weekend. Thats a lot of time on that track in that heat.

The only bad thing about this event was the venue. I wanted to go and try the new configuration at CMP. Ok, been there, done that. We have decided that we are probably done at CMP. THe new layout is better than the old but it is still extrememely hard on tires and brakes. I corded 4 tires in 2 1/2 days there when I got 7 out of the last set at Barber and VIR. I boiled brake fluid, melted pads, and sweat like a ***** in church all weekend.

The mechanical issue Wally speaks of is my harmonic balancer bolt backed out somehow. We tried a few quick fixes but to no avail. Now to figure out how to fix that. David Farmer if you are reading this you are about to get a PM Nancy had to end early also as she decided that she was done with that particular water pump. We trailered both cars home and dropped one off at the shop cuz I don't have time this week to fix a water pump. She wants the car ready for saturday.

It was great meeting all the new people and seeing the "old" ones. I want to thank Phil Smith for putting up with me. He is a good intructor. Wally you did wonders with Nancy. All she is talking about now is better tires and better brakes.

I can't count the number of people that came up to me after seeing my Big Pine Key performance mod (sticker) and said you must know Jody. I told them only if I was forced to admit it.

I have some video but have to sort it out and put it together.

Bob
Old 06-02-2008, 06:43 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
I can't count the number of people that came up to me after seeing my Big Pine Key performance mod (sticker) and said you must know Jody. I told them only if I was forced to admit it.

I have some video but have to sort it out and put it together.

Bob
hmmmm
Old 06-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Wally, how did the SPEC Camry do or is "BUTT UGLY" back up? It's good to see you out and about. It's easy to loose your touch at your "maturity" level....

Bob, sorry you feel that way about CMP. It's an okay track for me and when the "jitters" hit, you can usually get in last minute without a waitlist..
Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Wally, how did the SPEC Camry do or is "BUTT UGLY" back up? It's good to see you out and about. It's easy to loose your touch at your "maturity" level....

Bob, sorry you feel that way about CMP. It's an okay track for me and when the "jitters" hit, you can usually get in last minute without a waitlist..
Khoi, Wally had Butt Ugly up and running with a special computer generated super secret tire stagger. I'll let him clue you in on that.

I love the new configuration in the back part. It is super fast comparitively speaking. I was hitting the rev limiter in 3rd half way to 14. Its just really hard on tires. Also the place is still hard on brakes. I was running respectable times (according to the DIC anyway) 1:47-1:48 range. I guess if I drove a little smoother or slower I could save my equipment.

Its a long way to travel to get sand in places that God had never intended it to go. I am still washing it out of...nevermind. The facilities are definately better than last tme I was there. Abundance of electrical hookups, cleaner restrooms and showers etc. Just all that friggin sand!!! Doubtful we will return but ya never know.

If I have to trailer that distance I think it will be Rd Atlanta. Its the same distance with better facilities.

Bob
Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Z06cool
It's easy to loose your touch at your "maturity" level.... :
Maturity is different than being an old @#$% - never confuse the two. I am seldom referred to as mature, and then, only by people who don't know me.

BU is back. After the mess I was left with by a tuner who, for the moment, shall remein unnamed, I had to convert it to a carburated system. It seems to be running strong although hotter than it was before. I changed out the thremostat as a PM thing and I suspect this thrermostat does not flow as well as the old one. I have sent an oil sample to Blackstone to get an update on the internals of the engine. I am still working on jetting also, so it may have been a little lean which could account for the temp. Plugs looked just a little pale, but not off by much. Barring any bad news from Blackstone, we will have it dialed in by the end of the event with THSCC in a couple weeks.
Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Maturity is different than being an old @#$% - never confuse the two....
I don't, just trying to be polite. You know, respect your ....um..well, you know..

Hope to see you soon. Guess it'll be at NCM/VIR...
Old 06-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was nice to see Bob again and meet Nancy. I enjoyed my 2 rides with Bob. Sometimes I wonder why the CRMC lets "A" students solo all day Friday then put an instructor in the car for Sat & Sun. I agree it is in the interest of safety and it is nice to get another perspective from an instructor. Hell I even ask Jody to ride with me to make sure I am still doing something right.

CMP was hot this year. By Sunday I was beat and the track was getting boring. I called it quits after my 2nd session. The front rotors probably wouldn't have made the third. I will make one more trip to CMP this year for the PCA event in Oct.

Phil
Old 06-03-2008, 11:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Sorry we missed such a noteworthy crowd.

I have found CMP not as hard on tires as the old surface but still brutal on brakes...

Get notified of new replies

To Great weekend with CRMC

Quick Reply: Great weekend with CRMC