Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

traction control permanently off

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 12:24 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default traction control permanently off

tracmem is one I've seen, but I searched around and saw that laptrax was popular and relatively inexpensive. However, I cannot find laptrax website anymore. Are there others? I'd like to hear thoughts on these or similar products from those who use them. My application is a '99.

thanks,
-V
Old 06-04-2008, 01:08 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
tracmem is one I've seen, but I searched around and saw that laptrax was popular and relatively inexpensive. However, I cannot find laptrax website anymore. Are there others? I'd like to hear thoughts on these or similar products from those who use them. My application is a '99.

thanks,
-V
I know mine is disabled but i have no idea how the previous owner did it. It was super scary in the rain thinking i have that safety blanket only to find out it was off!

Although really, I'm not sure what the problem is, does it just cut the throttle on wheel spin? if so there has got to be a wire you can cut to stop the "cut throttle" signal from being sent... Then again I have no idea how it works.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

http://performance.accuratetechnolog...6997776d41865e
Old 06-04-2008, 04:42 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
I know mine is disabled but i have no idea how the previous owner did it. It was super scary in the rain thinking i have that safety blanket only to find out it was off!

Although really, I'm not sure what the problem is, does it just cut the throttle on wheel spin? if so there has got to be a wire you can cut to stop the "cut throttle" signal from being sent... Then again I have no idea how it works.
The car detects that you might spin your wheel(s) so it cuts the power off. Unlike Active Handling which applies various brakes to straighten you out. TC shuts the power down. In my 99 it is like you ran out of gas or the engine quit. Suddenly you have no power. Not good if someone is right behind you. I think the later models had TC that wasn't quite so obtrusive.

Someone more knowlegeable will probably chime in, but I think the car looks at steering input, throttle demand, and wheel speed to determine if the wheels may be starting to spin or the car is in a position where wheel spin is likely.

In my case, one left hand corner, uphill after heavy braking at MSR Cresson would kick in TC every time. Then it was like starting off in 4th gear climibing the hill. It took forever to get back up to speed.

Occassionally I forget to turn TC off. I find out the first green lap if I forgot. Instructors wonder what I'm doing when I'm feeling for the button on the console to turn it off. I need to put a sticker on the dash to remind me to check that TC is off.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:37 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Can't you just turn it off with HPTuners? I haven't looked around a Corvette computer but I'm pretty sure I can do it on my GTO.
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by burners
Can't you just turn it off with HPTuners? I haven't looked around a Corvette computer but I'm pretty sure I can do it on my GTO.
I've always been curious if those types of programs can do that. Anyone know?
Old 06-05-2008, 11:51 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SS Racing
The car detects that you might spin your wheel(s) so it cuts the power off. Unlike Active Handling which applies various brakes to straighten you out. TC shuts the power down. In my 99 it is like you ran out of gas or the engine quit. Suddenly you have no power. Not good if someone is right behind you. I think the later models had TC that wasn't quite so obtrusive.

Someone more knowlegeable will probably chime in, but I think the car looks at steering input, throttle demand, and wheel speed to determine if the wheels may be starting to spin or the car is in a position where wheel spin is likely.

In my case, one left hand corner, uphill after heavy braking at MSR Cresson would kick in TC every time. Then it was like starting off in 4th gear climibing the hill. It took forever to get back up to speed.

Occassionally I forget to turn TC off. I find out the first green lap if I forgot. Instructors wonder what I'm doing when I'm feeling for the button on the console to turn it off. I need to put a sticker on the dash to remind me to check that TC is off.
I can indentify with that. I have a 2005 C6 and there have been a couple instances when I forgot to put the car in comp mode (shutting off TC and reducing AH). It doesn't take long on the track to notice something is seriously wrong. At one point, I actually taped a reminder note on my dash.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:10 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

why is ford stuff cheaper? $99 vs $24 for same thing?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1999-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I can indentify with that. I have a 2005 C6 and there have been a couple instances when I forgot to put the car in comp mode (shutting off TC and reducing AH). It doesn't take long on the track to notice something is seriously wrong. At one point, I actually taped a reminder note on my dash.
I can't believe anyone would forget to put the car in comp mode before taking off on the track!! (By the way, where did you tape that reminder where it did the most good??)
Old 06-05-2008, 09:25 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Last C5
I can't believe anyone would forget to put the car in comp mode before taking off on the track!! :
Once waiting in line at pit out I shut off the engine. All of a sudden the cars in front of me started to move. I started the engine and moved out. And yes I didn't switch off the traction control.

It turns if felt like a carburetored car starving for fuel. I couldn't figure out what was wrong, then looked up and saw the traction control off logo was not showing on the speedometer.

On turning it off permanently, on my Mustang Cobra my Predator let me shut it off permanently.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:43 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I just looked at a '99 Vette HPTuners file and you can modify the traction control settings. It is a table that retards the spark anywhere from 17 to over 30 degrees depending on the rpm. You could put zeros in all the cells and that would completely eliminate TC or you could just reduce the retard amount to a more reasonable level. I would think something like 5 or 10 degrees at the most would be sufficient. It also looks like the computer can mess with the speed and % of throttle opening as well as shut off injectors for traction control. All these could be tinkered with to get a less aggressive traction control but I recommend talking to someone who has done it before.

Last edited by burners; 06-06-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:03 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by burners
I just looked at a '99 Vette HPTuners file and you can modify the traction control settings. It is a table that retards the spark anywhere from 17 to over 30 degrees depending on the rpm. You could put zeros in all the cells and that would completely eliminate TC or you could just reduce the retard amount to a more reasonable level. I would think something like 5 or 10 degrees at the most would be sufficient. It also looks like the computer can mess with the speed and % of throttle opening as well as shut off injectors for traction control. All these could be tinkered with to get a less aggressive traction control but I recommend talking to someone who has done it before.
what about the fuel cut off and torque control? maybe the same thing?
Old 06-06-2008, 10:32 AM
burners
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Yes, the fuel cut off is the injector control stuff but you don't want to mess with the torque control other than what is specifically for the traction control.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,085 Likes on 656 Posts

See a local tuner, it can all be shut off in the PCM, that's what I have done to my own car as well. Comp mode is ok, but to intrusive still.

Get notified of new replies

To traction control permanently off

Quick Reply: traction control permanently off