Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Laps, Hot Times and Hot Heads all at Barber

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 06:09 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Hot Laps, Hot Times and Hot Heads all at Barber

Take high temps, rule changes, a track that makes you pay for your errors, a large crowd and what do you get? A bunch of new track records for one thing.

The heat was a constant for all three days with brutal heat in the paddock and high heat indexes on the track. I saw a lot of skin over the weekend and sure hope there was plenty of sunblock applied. In some cases it would take a large bucket and a roller to apply - but it was needed. Not surprisingly some people even got a little irritable in the heat - especially when new rules were added on Friday for open top cars. There were no long lasting heat injuries to my knowledge though and NASA did their best to accomodate the impacted drivers.

We went over on Thursday evening and managed to get a pretty decent spot in the paddock, make it to my Mom's house for a visit and eat some of my sister's banana pudding (made special for me and the boys I might add). I was really happy I went to Younts for two new trailer spares since we blew a trailer tire in Anniston, Alabama on the way. Dropping trailers, swapping tires, and setting up canopies is much better in the cool of the evening or morning by the way.

Jake and I gave a lot time trial check rides over the weekend. What is even better, most of the TT "rookie" drivers did very, very well on track. Several of the podium spots were from TT rookies at this event. The first session had some real problems with the software/timing system and our grid for the second session was a little ugly. Everyone made the best of it and I really appreciated the patience. Seeing me in a pair of shorts probably distracted them.

There were 40 or so active TTers at the event with stiff competition in several classes. The only serious off was in the first session but the he walked away a little sore in the body and a bit lighter in the wallet. I do not think Barber charged him to get the red paint off the wall though. Otherwise there were a very few incidents of pretty aggressive passing, people not checking their mirrors and people not making it to grid on time (not related to student/instructor conflicts). There was some really impressive driving in TT this event. I was able to see Team Leonard in action on track and in the paddock. Tom has passion and a sharp tongue tempered by a good nature with a brother who can drive Barber. Jason has the best deal on the planet with his pit crew though.

Team England dropped about $75 on water, ice, and soft drinks alone over the three days. We could probably have used more to beat the heat since we also mooched water off anybody offering it. It was challenge to stay ahead of the dehydation curve especially after a few beers on Saturday night. Watching a dehydrated TimZO6 load up his darn fast Z28 on Sunday was interesting to say the least. We mostly did it from the shade of his canopy.

Thanks to Toby for making last minute repairs and a long drive to pull instructor duty this weekend, Denise and David for letting us all sleep/swim/shower at the Odenvile Mansion, TimZO6 for the Spanish refresher, Jason for keeping Jake focused and ZO6Cool for working on sorting his car out so we can beat up on him at VIR next month.

We have a bunch of tires to replace and flip for VIR and Lowes.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like you guys had a good time.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
sounds like you guys had a good time.
It was more fun then should be allowed with your clothes on...
Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

I love Barber.

the last time i wast there was for a PCA DE/club race. It was 95 degrees for both days.

It was one of the most satisfying events i've ever done. For some reason I was the only DE car they put in the race group practice. Lined up on the grid next to 3 ALMS cars I asked my instructor if we should be in this group...he said don't worry we are gonna kick butt, and we did (except for the 3 ALMS GT2 cars).

For a guy that drove used Porsches and worshiped them for 20 years it was very satisfying passing all those Porsche race cars! I've certainly enjoyed moving over to the Corvette camp over the last 8 years, especially with the Z06.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:48 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Great write up as always
Old 06-11-2008, 08:58 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I cannot say I love Barber - I love its location but it is a hard track on brakes and tires - dang that Wilson guy
Old 06-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As I said before, we can't thank you enough. You guys turned what would have been the most miserable weekend we'd ever spent at a track into the most enjoyable one. Can't wait to see you all again at Road Atlanta.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:27 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
As I said before, we can't thank you enough. You guys turned what would have been the most miserable weekend we'd ever spent at a track into the most enjoyable one. Can't wait to see you all again at Road Atlanta.
I am reconsidering my summer schedule due to the heat...

It was great getting to know you guys at the event..
Old 06-11-2008, 10:11 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

I was making fun of Jeff complaining about the heat last August at RA, but after this weekend I have no room to talk. I'm sure I did my fair share of whining especially since I was under the car trying to replace O2 sensors and investigating strange noises more than I was in the car and on track...
Old 06-11-2008, 10:19 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Z06cool
....I did my fair share of whining .......
You did - it is a bit different when you are working on cars and hanging out on the grid....it reminded me, of me
Old 06-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
I cannot say I love Barber - I love its location but it is a hard track on brakes and tires - dang that Wilson guy
Compared to the other track I love, Road America where you go through a set of Carbotech XP12's every 3 sessions Barber is not that bad at all on pads. Not that bad on tires either really...tracks that use NASCAR banking are hard on tires.

facility wise it has to be the best track around hands down. a 600 mile one way tow for me...I wish I could run there more often.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 AM
1lapRacer
Instructor

I am reconsidering my summer schedule due to the heat...

It was great getting to know you guys at the event..
If you thought that was hot just wait until July with the triple layer suit at the 24 Hours of Lemons at CMP.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:13 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

What rules changed for open top cars and was it a NASA rule or Barber rule? thanks!
Old 06-12-2008, 11:37 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
What rules changed for open top cars and was it a NASA rule or Barber rule? thanks!
Barber
Old 06-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

I was building a 10 x 14 shed in that heat.....would have rather had a helmet on to be out of the sun
Old 06-13-2008, 08:49 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Considering the fact that you and your team "have been there and done that" several times over at most all the tracks through the years, you would know!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I was making fun of Jeff complaining about the heat last August at RA, but after this weekend I have no room to talk. I'm sure I did my fair share of whining especially since I was under the car trying to replace O2 sensors and investigating strange noises more than I was in the car and on track...
After a couple of hours in the sun packing on Sunday, I was about to drop, then I realized you had been working out in it practically all weekend.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:03 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

BWHAHAHAH, you had to change O2/Lambda sensors in that heat????

Oh yeah, I did too And try it with the engine in the back immeditely after a session in the middle of the day

I think I lost 5 lbs or so this weekend which is hard for me to do. But when sweating from 9 till 4, i guess it gets easier. And I was pounding down the gatorades.

And I was at RA last year as well, it was 105 but still didnt seem as hot as Barber was. RA this year will be super enfuente' (sp?)
Old 06-13-2008, 10:16 AM
vette6aut0x
Pro

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
I dont know what happened at Barbers on open tops but I do know this for a fact. I am on the BOD for our region of the SCCA. Every contract that I have signed had specific verbage about open top cars. All open top cars must have a 5 or 6 point with arm restaints with approved roll protection. The only car approved with a factory roll protection is a porche boxter. I hope everything can be worked out really enjoyed last weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Laps, Hot Times and Hot Heads all at Barber

Quick Reply: Hot Laps, Hot Times and Hot Heads all at Barber