Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Noise While On Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd Noise While On Track

While at Barber a couple weekends ago trying to break-in a new motor, I heard what sounded like a "pop" and then a loud hissing sound like air seaping out of my left front tire. I backed off and pitted in thinking I had a flat tire. Checked the air pressure and nothing is off... I heard the sound after getting into it for about 10 minutes.

Spent a couple more sessions trying to diagnose some O2 sensor problems and then some dreaded ABS/Active Handling codes also. It then happened again with the exact same noise about 10 minutes into another session. Once again, nothing with air pressure. I took the wheel off and looked for rubbing. I looked in the fenders for rubbing. I checked out the brake pads and rotors for any odd metal on metal contact. I checked coolant levels and all seem normal. Oil pressure and oil levels were good.

What is new is I started using a Morroso accumsump installed behind the front wheel well. I asked some other people that had them and it runs silent. There shouldn't be any pressure build-up during operation?

Could it be the shocks? I wouldn't think I would be able to re-create it if it was the front shock letting go. Another theory suggested to me was gunk build-up in the mufflers from the old engine blowing up and sending oil/coolant through them. After running hot for a while the muffler unclogged?? Once again, not sure how I was able to re-create it if that was the case. I do want to say that at both times, I was doing hard right turns.

Any suggestions and how to test?

I'm in a C5Z with CCWs running 315/17 and 335/17 Kumho 710s. Stock motor, headers, accumsump, separate oil cooler and dewitt's radiator.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:17 PM
linutux
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be as simple as the radiator cap releasing excess pressure?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:19 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06cool
While at Barber a couple weekends ago trying to break-in a new motor, I heard what sounded like a "pop" and then a loud hissing sound like air seaping out of my left front tire. I backed off and pitted in thinking I had a flat tire. Checked the air pressure and nothing is off... I heard the sound after getting into it for about 10 minutes.

Spent a couple more sessions trying to diagnose some O2 sensor problems and then some dreaded ABS/Active Handling codes also. It then happened again with the exact same noise about 10 minutes into another session. Once again, nothing with air pressure. I took the wheel off and looked for rubbing. I looked in the fenders for rubbing. I checked out the brake pads and rotors for any odd metal on metal contact. I checked coolant levels and all seem normal. Oil pressure and oil levels were good.

What is new is I started using a Morroso accumsump installed behind the front wheel well. I asked some other people that had them and it runs silent. There shouldn't be any pressure build-up during operation?

Could it be the shocks? I wouldn't think I would be able to re-create it if it was the front shock letting go. Another theory suggested to me was gunk build-up in the mufflers from the old engine blowing up and sending oil/coolant through them. After running hot for a while the muffler unclogged?? Once again, not sure how I was able to re-create it if that was the case. I do want to say that at both times, I was doing hard right turns.

Any suggestions and how to test?

I'm in a C5Z with CCWs running 315/17 and 335/17 Kumho 710s. Stock motor, headers, accumsump, separate oil cooler and dewitt's radiator.
does it make the noise on a straightaway or in a turn?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by linutux
Could it be as simple as the radiator cap releasing excess pressure?
My coolant overflow tank is at same level before and after the sessions and I'm not seeing any leaking around the cap.

Originally Posted by rustyguns
does it make the noise on a straightaway or in a turn?
Both times were in right turns.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:29 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The accusump has a blow-off pressure valve - typically set at 125 to 150 psi - to prevent over pressure in the cylinder. Do you see any oil leaking around the accusump? Could be the blow-off valve releasing some pressure. I've been thinking about installing an electronic gauge inside my car from my accusump to check pressures while on the track.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:53 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
The accusump has a blow-off pressure valve - typically set at 125 to 150 psi - to prevent over pressure in the cylinder. Do you see any oil leaking around the accusump? Could be the blow-off valve releasing some pressure. I've been thinking about installing an electronic gauge inside my car from my accusump to check pressures while on the track.
I knew the setting on that was very high and not even close to the normal 19-20 psi I see it produce. I see some residue oil but wasn't sure if it wasn't overflow from the brake fluid MC when I was bleeding brakes. There was a lot of accumulated oil from the old engine so some of that could have washed off and onto the accusump. I've since cleaned the accusump thoroughly and will look for the blow-off... I do notice in the 6,000 rpm range, I'm at 65+ psi oil pressure if that is any indication.
Old 06-17-2008, 12:15 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

My coolant overflow tank is at same level before and after the sessions and I'm not seeing any leaking around the cap.

Both times were in right turns.
Ok my money is on suspension!
Old 06-17-2008, 12:55 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by rustyguns
Ok my money is on suspension!
But only after running hard (about 8/10) for 10 minutes? I'd do a warm up lap then I'd start pushing it so I'd think something suspension would come into play a little more consistently before then...
Old 06-17-2008, 01:00 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

But only after running hard (about 8/10) for 10 minutes? I'd do a warm up lap then I'd start pushing it so I'd think something suspension would come into play a little more consistently before then...
suspension doesn't care about warm up, and it can be very inconsistent, check A arm bushings, sway bar bolts, tie rod ends, shock bushings and bolts and all chassis bolts and alignment bolts. shoot! it could even be a motor mount! or the hubs could be cracking around the bearings or a loose caliper bolt, it could be a brake pad stuck to a piston, on so on......................

Last edited by rustyguns; 06-17-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:29 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Was Varkswo in the car at the time? He has been known to release gas rather loudly.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:50 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by WNDOPDLR
Was Varkswo in the car at the time? He has been known to release gas rather loudly.
Not this time but I know what you mean...
Old 06-17-2008, 02:34 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Ya know thats funny because my first thought was that somebody in the car overdid it on the Mexican food the night before. Great minds think alike.

Bob
Old 06-17-2008, 05:11 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Great minds think alike.
I agree. Now put them minds together and give me some suggestions (and I'm not talking about the gas)....
Old 06-17-2008, 07:41 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

I agree. Now put them minds together and give me some suggestions (and I'm not talking about the gas)....
Suggestions huh? Hmmm...take up golf

Hard right turns you are loading up the left front. My thought is suspension but what would cause the hissing of air/fluid? I think it might be time to seek the wisdom of the Jedi master Farmer.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:03 AM
Z06cool
Drifting

Okay, checked some more items and all seems normal:

-power steering reservoir
-looked for cracks in wheel bearing
-Control Arms and bushings look good
-swaybars and endlinks good
-ABS sender unit or what was described to me as such looked free from leaks

I did notice oil around the lip of the accusump. Wiped it off and going for another drive.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:46 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Okay, checked some more items and all seems normal:

-power steering reservoir
-looked for cracks in wheel bearing
-Control Arms and bushings look good
-swaybars and endlinks good
-ABS sender unit or what was described to me as such looked free from leaks

I did notice oil around the lip of the accusump. Wiped it off and going for another drive.
You will need to drive it "angry" to get it to make noise...

Wally and Bob...nice ....
Old 06-18-2008, 09:27 AM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Suggest you put on track and try to duplicate the sound with someone in the right seat who can focus on the noise. If you are coming to Kershaw this weekend, I will volunteer.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd Noise While On Track

Old 06-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Suggest you put on track and try to duplicate the sound with someone in the right seat who can focus on the noise. If you are coming to Kershaw this weekend, I will volunteer.
Which event, I thought the CMP one was full? I'm heading out of town Sunday but I'd like to do Saturday if possible.

Edit: I just looked it up and it's the Triangle Z/THSCC. Never run with them before. Usually some hoops to jump through as a first timer -- unless you got a hookup?

Last edited by Z06cool; 06-18-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:52 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

Take it to PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:05 PM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the great minds are going to be at NCM/VIR we can help you sort it out then if you cannot get it done before hand.

I may have some nosies to find also.

Quick Reply: Odd Noise While On Track