Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bondurant School - Aug 11th - Aug 14th

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 07:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Bondurant School - Aug 11th - Aug 14th

Doug and I were thinking it is time to go back to school and rehone our basic skills. I think with our ECS powerful cars and the great suspension setups we tend to rely on the components to help us around the track versus working on improving our skills.

We looked at different options, talked to different organizations and in the end decided that Bondurant school would offer us the best solution. We get to take their corvettes out for a few days and work on the basics making us a safer and faster driver in the end.

Doug and I will also want to take what we are learning and apply that as instructors to our new students. I was amazed how many instructors have never had formal training of any sort and although Bondurant is not going to be giving us instructor training per say we will be there listening to them and seeing what techniques work and dont work.

Finally we also set this up because we know people have expressed interest in driving on a road course, but either have a convertible so they are not allowed to or they are worried about ruining their own corvette.

The class is for all levels of driving so come out, enjoy Phoenix and spend some time beating on someone else's vette for a few days.

Track Dates : Monday Aug 11th - Thursday Aug 14th

Hotel:
The Buttes - A Marriott Resort
2000 Westcourt Way
Tempe, Arizona 85282
Phone: 602-225-9000
Distance to Bondurant: 11 miles

There is a 20% discount to anyone that wants to attend.

Doug and I have already booked the 4 day course below

4 day Gran Prix Road Racing Course
3 days - $4,250 | 4 days - $4,795
Combining our race-prepared 2007 Corvette Coupe and the open-wheel excitement of our *F-1 style Formula Bondurant, this is the signature Bondurant course! You'll learn the ins and outs of maximum car control, then put these skills into action on the Bondurant road course.

Features: SCCA License eligibility, maximum track time
Vehicles: 2007 Corvette Coupe, *Formula Bondurant
*Note: Formula Bondurant available only in 4 day course

Other choices at the same time

High Performance Driving

2 days - $2,325 | 3 days - $3,275

High Performance Driving combines advanced street driving skills with techniques refined through years on the racetrack. Day three offers more track time and students wear race suits and helmets.

Features: Autocross, slalom, accident avoidance, track time on the 1.6 mile Bondurant Road Course
Vehicles: Cadillac CTS-V

Z06 Experience 2-Day Courses
1 day - $1,650 | 2 days - $2,795

505+ horsepower. 6-speeds. Zero-to-60 in under four seconds. Give yourself the ultimate full-throttle experience in this American Dream Machine that no import can touch!

Features: Skid control, line techniques, accident avoidance, track time on the 1.6 mile Bondurant Road Course
Vehicles: 2007 Corvette Z06

You can sign up directly with Bondurant if you want to go. They have a discount for the hotel on their website. They can also book your airfare if you want.

http://www.bondurant.com/

The Bob Bondurant School of High Performance Driving teaches thrill seekers and current or aspiring racers how to drive like the pros! Our racing school features a 60 acre purpose-built racing facility - something other car racing schools can't claim. Our racing courses range from four hours to four days and we have beginner driving courses designed for people wanting a thrill of a lifetime and advanced racing courses for experienced racers or professionals. Our GM supplied driving school features the 2007 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe and Corvette ZO6, Cadillac CTS and CTS-V, Pontiac Grand Prix GXP, and the Pontiac GTO.

Our new fleet of GM vehicles which includes the 2007 Corvette Coupe and Z06, Cadillac CTS and CTS-V, Chevrolet Tahoe and Silverado, as well as specialized Cadillac CTS skid cars and executive protection vehicles is in action! The new fleet has already proven to be a great asset to courses and students. Its not very often you get to experience the thrill and excitement of racing in a brand new vehicle!

Track Layout

Skid Pad

Fleet

Car 1

Car 2

Old 06-18-2008, 01:09 AM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So tempting! It IS my 30th birthday!
Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by openhelix
So tempting! It IS my 30th birthday!
if you do HPDEs and never have formal training I highly recommend that you do. There are many things that you learn in their cars that if happen in your car you will know how to correct before it is too late.

Besides safety you are also learning how to be faster while in more control.

plus with us out there it is always a good time. We do things as a group which inherently is much more fun than going by yourself.

Old 06-19-2008, 02:29 PM
openhelix
Burning Brakes

haha, just that $4-5k price tag
Old 06-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

If I get a ZR1, I'd sign up for Bondurant's school (price is included with purchase of new ZR1).
Old 06-19-2008, 02:53 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I think it's great that you guys are serious about learning to go fast not only by improving the machine, but also improving the driver.

However, that's a LOT of money for a few days at the track. Why not just drop a new crate LS1 in my NASA car, and I'll instruct you for free!?

Seriously, have fun at the event. I've not done it, but I'm sure it's top notch.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:27 PM
ken-rx
Burning Brakes

I think you're nuts to go in August, spring or fall is the way to go.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:19 PM
JimEli
Advanced

Having attended this school in August, I can tell you its freaky hot. Drink plenty of fluids. You'll start early in the morning in an attempt to get a jump on the heat, but that doesn't really work. Drink plenty of fluids. The instruction is top notch, and I've gone back several times for advanced lapping days. Did I mention anything about drinking plenty of fluids? Have fun.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Tintin
Cartoon Character
Support Corvetteforum!

Hot is not the word. Today it was 115 with 7% humidity... very pleasant

In August , if you are really lucky you'll be here for the other word - monsoon. Great fun, 110 and raining..

Just the same the B squares is one of the best schools in the world, really top notch. Go , enjoy

You have to be tough to live here, I drove my non AC C2 today.. but not very far...
Old 07-14-2008, 08:01 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Less than 1 month away and we will be having fun at Bondurant...

If you want to really learn how to drive your vette you need to get to this school....

Old 07-18-2008, 05:37 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Vendor Donor '08-'09

Also, we have a Performance Driving Experience coming up August 2nd for only $500 if you want to get out here on a budget

http://www.bondurant.com/courses/courses.php#pde

For questions on that one call Ron Hill at 480-403-7648. There's only a handful of spots left.

Dan
Old 07-18-2008, 09:52 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Dan, I was looking at the Bondurant School website and this course - looks like you receive your SCCA license upon successful completion of the 3 or 4 day course - is that correct? Does the 20% discount apply to Corvette Forum members that want to enroll later in the year (Fall) or only in August? Mike
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Dan, I was looking at the Bondurant School website and this course - looks like you receive your SCCA license upon successful completion of the 3 or 4 day course - is that correct? Does the 20% discount apply to Corvette Forum members that want to enroll later in the year (Fall) or only in August? Mike
Can get a provisional. However you will need to log 2 races to get your full comp..
Old 07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
You are correct. Only with the Grand Prix Road Racing 3 or 4 day course though. The 20% off deal is if enrolled in a course date from now until September 30th. Year round though, Corvette Forum members get 10% off multi day courses. Of course, not combinable with other specials. New bookings only.

Dan
Old 07-22-2008, 12:29 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ProgGod
Can get a provisional. However you will need to log 2 races to get your full comp..
Hey, were you at the last NASA event on East track? Your avatar pic of your car looks familiar. I was in the Orange Bondurant Cobra Mustang in DE3. I think I was down a couple hundred horsepower from everyone else......might have to supercharge it....

Dan

Old 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM
BondurantHPD
Burning Brakes

ZR1 Driving Program UPDATE:

Who: Anyone that has purchased a ZR1 and has the original driving school certificate, compliments of GM, to attend a two-day driving course at Bondurant. The course will also be sold to the general public for those that are 18 and over, have a valid driver’s license, and can drive a manual transmission.

What: The custom-designed ZR1 course will allow drivers to learn valuable car control skills while they acquaint themselves with the entire Corvette lineup, using the base C6 with a Z51 suspension package, the Z06, and the new ZR1.

Why: GM desires that all ZR1 buyers are able to enjoy their new purchase and acquire skills to drive the car confidently and safely.

Where: Bondurant’s purpose built 60 acre training facility at Firebird International Raceway near Phoenix, Arizona.

When: The ZR1 Corvettes allocated to Bondurant will arrive in September; courses will begin shortly after arrival, probably in October. The 2-day course will typically be scheduled on a Thursday/Friday.

How: Driving exercises are designed for the student to walk away with a good understanding of vehicle dynamics and car control skills. Throughout the day, the drivers will have the opportunity to choose their vehicle for each drill.

Price: $3,395.00
Students per class: Initially 3
Student to Instructor Ratio: 3:1

Course Outline:

Day 1
8:00 – 8:30 Check in
8:30 – 9:00 Welcome, Introduction
9:00 – 9:30 On track Lead & Follow
9:30 – 10:00 Photo with ZR1
10:00 – 11:00 Maricopa Oval
11:00 – 12:00 Slalom, Ground School
12:00 – 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – 2:00 Ground School
2:00 – 3:00 Skid Control Cars
3:00 – 4:00 Accident Avoidance Simulator
4:00 – 4:45 Heel & Toe Downshifting

Day 2
8:30 – 9:00 Ground School
9:00 – 10:00 Heel & Toe Downshifting
10:00 – 11:00 Maricopa Oval
11:00 – 12:00 Introduction to Track, Lead & Follow
12:00 – 1:30 Lunch
1:30 – 2:00 Ground School
2:00 – 3:00 Timed Autocross
3:00 – 4:00 On track Lead & Follow with Ride & Drive
4:00 – 4:30 Graduation

Optional Vehicle Insurance: Insurance can be purchased for $75.00/day which limits the students liability to the first $6,000.00 per vehicle per incident. Without the insurance, the student would be liable for all damages.

Certificate redemption: With every new ZR1, GM will provide the buyer with a certificate to attend a 2-day driving school at no cost. Optional vehicle insurance, travel arrangements, etc are not included and are at the expense of the participant. The original certificate will need to be delivered to Bondurant prior to, or at, course check-in. The certificate is good only for the 2-day ZR1 course and can not be substituted for cash or credit towards another course. Non-ZR1 owners are eligble to attend the course by paying the advertised retail price of $3,395.00.

Get notified of new replies

To Bondurant School - Aug 11th - Aug 14th

Quick Reply: Bondurant School - Aug 11th - Aug 14th