Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 set-up for occasional track use... otherwise weekend cruiser

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 10:14 PM
c5_droptop
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Default C3 set-up for occasional track use... otherwise weekend cruiser

I have a 1969 Coupe that I am working on. The car was already there mechanically when I got it and has the following:

Original 350/350. Stroked to 383
Edelbrock RPM Heads. Appear to be straight plug.
Edelbrock RPM Intake
Holley 750 double-pumper
Comp Cams Hydraulic Roller Cam, model XR282HR
MSD 6A and Pro Billet Tach Drive Distributor
Keisler 5 speed
Serpentine Belt setup – 1994 Chevy Pickup
B-Cool Radiator with twin Spall fans
Dual mount rear spring. Front Mono Spring and Lower Tubular A-Arms
from Vette Brakes and Products not installed yet.
3.36 rear-end
American Racing TT II's, 17x8 with 245-45R17's

While the car will mostly be used for weekend cruising and fun drives but I would like to be able to take it out on the track from time to time.

What are some things I need to think about as far as mods to help with the track performance that will not detract from the day to day driveability?

Some ideas that I have picked up are:
Offset trailing arms. Good for another inch or two of tire on the back
Traction bar from VBP

I would like to avoid fender flares if I can. Not that I am opposed to them, in fact I even like the looks of them, I am just not sure that I can cut into the car...

Thanks in advance,
Dave

PS Sorry if this is detailed somewhere. I did some searches and couldn't find anything.

Last edited by c5_droptop; 06-17-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:11 AM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vette Brakes has a lot of great suspension packages that you can think about. However there are some more important things.

1. Tires, this will make the largest difference by far. My dad has Falcon Azenis tires on his '69. These are still street tires and you can go to a Dot R race tire if you want but I would finish sorting the car before you put a race tire on.

2. Break pads & fluid, make sure you have some track rated pads. You have a fairly heavy car and a good amount of power.

3. Alignment You'll want at least a degree of camber. Vette Brakes web site has some alignment guidlines. (I run 2.3 degrees of camber on my '04 Z06 autocross car, it's not terrible to drive but it is hard on tires.)

4. Sway bar, at a minimum an 1 1/8" front bar will help with the roll stiffness.

4. Shocks, bilstein, or koni a a good choice. The Bilstein are a better value but the Konis are adjustable

If you take care of these things you will have a safe and pretty good handling car. The vette brakes suspension packages are a pretty good way to go if you are looking for a step up. Just dont neglect 1-3 above.

Chris
Old 06-18-2008, 10:30 AM
vettebrakes
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since you already have good suspension set-ups. The adjustable systems from VBP are great. They allow you to set it up for street driving as well as track days.

I would recommend the offset trailing arms for larger tires, but also they are so much stronger than the stock sheet metal ones. They will help to eliminate any frame damage. They have a two inch offset as well as a tab to relocate the parking brake cable. You will find that these arms are so much better made than the stock ones. They also come complete with their poly bushings already installed so you can just slip them on. If your bearing assemblies need to be rebuilt, they can remanufacture your complete assemblies, add the trailing arm and send it back to you. This way you can just mount the complete assembly. For the dollars involved that is the best way to go. They will completely remanufacture the assemblies back to factory specs and you just need to remount them. This way you will know exactly what you have when you hit the track.

I would recommend you call them and speak with Steve or Gary in tech at 1-800-237-9991 regarding the traction bar. They can help guide you with some of your choices.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

Here's the setup for my street / occasional track C3. Like you I didn't want fender flares, because I wanted the car to remain close to stock from the outside and I cruise in it rather often including a few road trips to Bowling Green (~4-5 hours away).

Here's a list of my modifications for track use:
  • ZZ4 engine w/ GM's "hot cam" (.545/.545 lift) and ported heads
  • Richmond 5 speed with aluminum flywheel
  • VBP fiberglass monoleaf springs - front and back
  • Edelbrock IAS shocks with lowered bottom mounts
  • Savitske Classic adjustable upper a-arms w/ extended ball joints
  • VBP anti-bumpsteer blocks in front suspension
  • VBP "smart struts"
  • PS Engineering 17" x 8" Aluminum Rims
  • Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 235/50/17 tires
  • Front shock tower brace
  • 1" front sway bar
  • 9/16" rear sway bar
  • Raised rear differential 5/8" to reduce rear bump steer
  • Replaced rear crossmember rubber bushings with polyurethane
  • Aluminum front brake hubs (-5 lbs / wheel)
  • Aluminum SSBC front calipers (-5 lbs/ wheel)
  • Aluminum Wilwood Dynalite II rear calipers (-10 lbs/wheel)
  • Brake cooling ducts for front brakes
  • Reinforced frame along the sides under the doors to stiffen chassie
  • All tie rod ends, ball joints, idler arm are Moog components
  • Steering box adjusted with the correct shims, backlash, etc.
Things I would put on the top of the list is brake cooling ducts, anti-bumpsteer blocks, and the best performance tires you can get. I've only been doing HPDE's for a couple of years and I already managed to warp the front rotors prior to adding the ducts.

The other really important thing is to make sure you have enough toe-in set in the rear suspension so that it never goes into a "toe-out" condition while your in a corner. The rear suspension has horrible bumpsteer due to the C3 suspensions design. This results in a very bad oversteer situation at just the wrong time. I would advise reading Greenwood's VIP article. Its full of helpful tips. This is the reason I moved the rear crossmember up 5/8". The idea behind this is that the half shafts should slope down toward the wheels when the car is at rest - this minimizes the bumpsteer. This is covered in the VIP article in detail.

Last edited by Jason Staley; 06-21-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 set-up for occasional track use... otherwise weekend cruiser

Quick Reply: C3 set-up for occasional track use... otherwise weekend cruiser