Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Racers with AFR heads on LTX blocks.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Default Racers with AFR heads on LTX blocks.

Racers with AFR heads on LTX blocks.

Check this out, I'm sure glad I did.

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Just a few pics of some of the preliminary block work.

Because some folks might not know... When you use AFR cyl heads on an GEN II LTX, the front drivers side cyl heads oil return gets blocked off completely because of a shelf (its actually a casting support for the waterpump bolt) that is cast in to the GEN II blocks (not there in a regular SBC). So we don't have any problems I modify that shelf so, oil will drain out of the front of the head properly. Most people who are having or had problems with AFR's on LTX motors don't even know this is a big part of their problem....

Will
Originally Posted by rklessdriver
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the block deck surface and the shelf there before I modified it (cut the trench in it for the oil return). I guess it kinda makes it hard to see precisely what I did.

However if you take an AFR head and lay it on a bare LTx block then look down the drivers side front oil return, it will immeadiatly be aparant that its blocked off completely. I just took a sharpie (marker) and marked the deck surface where the oil return (with the head on of course), then took the head off and started cutting. Just lay the carbide bur (3/8 diam) up against the edge of that shelf at a 30*-45* angle towards the lifter valley and gradually grind a "trench" over to the mark. Once you reach your mark, lay the head back up there to check and make sure you have it big enough and far enough over. Keep grinding and checking until you do.

These pics with the die grinder in place should help.

No worries about how deep you grind there, that shelf is solid... BUT be very careful as one slip could f'up the deck surface right near the water inlet (which as you can see is right below the bur).

What else would you like to know?
Will
Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 194 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for the warning. I was getting ready to order a set of these heads. I thought they made LTX specific heads or did I read the catalog listing wrong?
Old 06-20-2008, 02:37 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

They do and they are.

I just got some AFR 195's for mine.

There a great head, I think they needed to more the oil return.

Get notified of new replies

To Racers with AFR heads on LTX blocks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Racers with AFR heads on LTX blocks.