Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford Expedition as a tow vehichle

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 10:08 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford Expedition as a tow vehichle

Looking at buying a gas sucking big SUV/tow vehicle today. Price are down and falling. I called my mechanic about a nice 2001 Ford Expedition Triton V8, 70k miles, he stated they have problems with plugs stripping out the head or blowing out because only 3 threads hold it, as well as the coilpacs getting wet and shorting.
Any experiences with these vehicles?
We are also looking at Durangos and Grand Cherokees. The V6 in the chevy is scaring me off.

We are about 4k #, open trailer, 2 axles and electric brakes.

Advice appreciated.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:41 PM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been towing with a 2004 Lincoln Navigator - 26 ft enclosed trailer, C4 Corvette, cabinets loaded with all kinds of stuff, generator, 4 wheels & tires and more.

Aside from 9 MPG and a "too cushy" ride, it tows pretty good. I use an equalizer hitch and the trailer follows along w/ no sway - just wish the trucks (air ride) suspension was a little firmer and a bit less "comfortable".

If fuel wasn't "nuts", I'd drive it more often - all the options pretty much make it a "rolling living room" !!!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:03 PM
turbo50mike
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73-84 IMSA Widebody
Looking at buying a gas sucking big SUV/tow vehicle today. Price are down and falling. I called my mechanic about a nice 2001 Ford Expedition Triton V8, 70k miles, he stated they have problems with plugs stripping out the head or blowing out because only 3 threads hold it, as well as the coilpacs getting wet and shorting.
Any experiences with these vehicles?
We are also looking at Durangos and Grand Cherokees. The V6 in the chevy is scaring me off.

Advice appreciated.
I towed with a 2001 Expedition for a while. The truck towed just fine, but make sure you get the 5.4L as opposed to the 4.6L motor (the 5.4 was an option in 2001). I never really had any problems with mine - maybe just some minor stuff, but it was all covered under warranty. I did have a coil go bad, and had the exhaust manifold studs break off (very common on the 5.4L).
Old 06-21-2008, 08:27 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

one of the guys that goes with us tows with an expedition. He has not problem towing his open trailer. It does lag going up hills compared to my Trail Blazer SS setup, but it gets the job done.

mechanically he has not had a problem though I am not sure of the year (it is older).
Old 06-21-2008, 08:39 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

I'm towing an enclosed Featherlite, 4k # (light car) with a 2000 Chev Silverado, 5.3, 2wd. getting 15mpg.

The truck's never been in a shop. No oil leaks, 0 oil consumption, no problems. Other than maintainence, at 130k miles, the only thing I've ever done to it was replace one front wheel bearing.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The V6 in the chevy is scaring me off.

Advice appreciated.
Not sure what GM SUV you are looking at with a V6. The big ones (Tahoes/Burbs) that are equivalent to an Expedition all come with V8s. The newer (2001+) GMs come with the LS style engine which just like our Vettes LS engine just seems to go and go and go. The VIN tag on the trailer says its unladen weight is 1200 lbs but it is obviously much heavier than the tag indicates.

You should also check your weight on a scale. My 16 ft open trailer with tire rack and 4 tires and the car with a full gas tank runs just about 5500 lbs. The VIN tag on the trailer indicates the unladen weight is 1200 lbs but it obviously weighs much more than that.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-21-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:42 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have an 01' with the 5.4. Has 127k miles on it, with a lot of those towing, the rest are from being driven daily. I replaced the plugs myself at 100k, no problems.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:55 PM
Gatorac
Pro

I had a 2001 F-250 with the 5.4 in it. What a pos engine. Poor fuel economy for the power. When I towed an enclosed trailer I ended up having my foot on the floor a good deal of the time to keep momentum up for all but the smallest of hills. I've been a Ford guy for years, but, GM's engines for the past 10 years are much better. IMHO. I have owned examples of both.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:58 PM
73-84 IMSA Widebody
Drifting

Trailer 1500, cars 2564 + fuel. We have been looking at Cherokees with the 4.7. As I need it by Thursday for MidOhio I guess Monday we'll have to decide.

Last edited by 73-84 IMSA Widebody; 06-21-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 09:41 PM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

We are also looking at Durangos and Grand Cherokees
My wife drove a 2007 Grand Cherokee for one year and it was the BIGGEST POS we have ever driven.

TERRIBLE gas mileage, and the cokpit was built for midgets. I'm 5'8" and average build, hit my head on the door jamb EVERY time I got in the damn thing.

I hate to be so biased, but I would RUN AWAY as fast I could from any Cherokee size jeep !!!

Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Not sure what GM SUV you are looking at with a V6. The big ones (Tahoes/Burbs) that are equivalent to an Expedition all come with V8s. The newer (2001+) GMs come with the LS style engine which just like our Vettes LS engine just seems to go and go and go. The VIN tag on the trailer says its unladen weight is 1200 lbs but it is obviously much heavier than the tag indicates.

You should also check your weight on a scale. My 16 ft open trailer with tire rack and 4 tires and the car with a full gas tank runs just about 5500 lbs. The VIN tag on the trailer indicates the unladen weight is 1200 lbs but it obviously weighs much more than that.

Bill
To give you a comparison to what other people say they have experienced with an Expedition I should have also said I tow my trailer with an 03 Tahoe and get 13 mpg while towing at 65 to 79 mph in hilly terrain. It has the 5.3 engine with 3:73 rear gears.

Bill
Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Whiel the weight of the trailer and the car is a consideration, you have to add in the weight of all of the cargo that goes along. If you are taking extra tires, tools, fuel, the wife and/or girlfriend, kids, dog, and luggage, all of that weight has to be added up. And you have to add the tongue weight of the trailer to the total cargo weight in the vehicle.

Your tow vehicle has to have sufficient capacity to carry not only the towed weight but also the cargo weight. And then, you should not really exceed 80% of the maximun towed weight and never, never go over the gross weight capacity of the vehicle.

I would avoid the middle-size SUV's like the Durango or Jeep completely. The wheelbase of these vehicles are short, many do not come with a towing package and the factory size and type of tires may not have enough load capacity to handle the total weight.

The Excursion would be a decent choice as would a Tahoe/Yukon. The 5.3 in the Tahoe or the 5.4 Triton will provide sufficient power if you are not going to see lots of hills or mountain driving. As I mentioned, get a vehicle with a factory towing package; it will have a good Class III/IV hitch, trailer wiring to include the electric brake harness, a tranny cooler and most will have some sort of HD radiator and larger battery/alternator.
Old 06-22-2008, 09:27 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I tow an enclosed trailer. At first I bought a used 04 Expedition, towed with it once. With the cruse set it would down shift at the slightest rise in the road (we're talking Florida here). I took the car back because it would die mysteriously and have to be towed to the dealer and guess what, when it got there it started right up. They could not find a problem. I pushed them to take the 04 back and give me credit against an 05 Expedition. What a difference. The 05 has the 3 valve engine much more power. Tows great just mileage is poor pulling a box trailer.

A few weeks ago I towed my FRC to Sebring for a two day event. The last day I was tired and just did not want to deal with loading it in the trailer (a real PITA) and tie it down. So I pulled the empty trailer home and my wife drove the FRC. Funny thing I got the same gas mileage empty and full. I guess it is just the amount of air the enclosed trailer pushes.
I am putting a hitch on the FRC and will be towing a tire trailer in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Ford Expedition as a tow vehichle

Quick Reply: Ford Expedition as a tow vehichle