Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cage ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 09:57 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default cage ?

does anyone know if it is scca legal for T1 to use an x-bar brace as pictured in red vs. straight traditional braces to support the main hoop? The SCCA GCR is not clear on this issue.

Old 06-22-2008, 06:27 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Look at the tubing size and tubing material required for the wt of your car.

They get picky on the number of bends, different size of the tubing
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

I don't know FTB, but you might want to contact one of the local SCCA scrutineers. After all, they would be the guys to give your car the pass or fail on the annual tech.

Let me know if you want a contact. I can get that for you.

Oli
Old 06-22-2008, 11:13 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X brace is allowed, it is not required. We have X brace on all of our cars. Though they are not T1 cars, they are all SCCA racecars and must meet the same spec. The SCCA GCR is not very clear with regards to roll cage. What isn't clear to me is they say they allow and incourage the use on NASCAR type door bars, then have no pictures of what that is. It says you are allowed 8 points of attachments, Yet NASCAR door bars typically have 2 vertical bars that attach to the frame between the A and B pillars. Are these considered attachments? I just completed the car in my avatar and had them inspect it. Inspector questioned my door bars as too may attachments. He could find nothing in the GCR detailing what NASCAR type door bars are. I showed him the 4 other corvettes in our shop that all have the same door bars. He passed it. I would advise getting clarification from SCCA in writing regarding the door bars. For the X brace, make sure you attach the X to the down tubes just above where the down tube attaches to the frame, not directly to the frame. You don't want someone telling you those are attachments.
Old 06-22-2008, 02:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Vector Vette
X brace is allowed, it is not required. We have X brace on all of our cars. Though they are not T1 cars, they are all SCCA racecars and must meet the same spec. The SCCA GCR is not very clear with regards to roll cage. What isn't clear to me is they say they allow and incourage the use on NASCAR type door bars, then have no pictures of what that is. It says you are allowed 8 points of attachments, Yet NASCAR door bars typically have 2 vertical bars that attach to the frame between the A and B pillars. Are these considered attachments? I just completed the car in my avatar and had them inspect it. Inspector questioned my door bars as too may attachments. He could find nothing in the GCR detailing what NASCAR type door bars are. I showed him the 4 other corvettes in our shop that all have the same door bars. He passed it. I would advise getting clarification from SCCA in writing regarding the door bars. For the X brace, make sure you attach the X to the down tubes just above where the down tube attaches to the frame, not directly to the frame. You don't want someone telling you those are attachments.

Agreed! I am waiting for oli's scrut contact. This is one of my questions too. 90% of pro cages do not have nascar bars supported according to nascar rules which is support of the lower tube to the sill plate causing another 2 or 3 chassis attachement points. So one question is if extra tubes are allowed like my green lines show here.

My first question above is about an "X" to support the rear of the main hoop only without straight back bars, not X door bars. "X" doorbars are not allowed on new builds in the updated 2008 GCR on the driver's side but ok on passenger side for touring cages spec 9.4.3

Last edited by fatbillybob; 06-22-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:05 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey... I recognize that picture..
Old 06-22-2008, 07:07 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jaymz
Hey... I recognize that picture..
I tried to disguise it. It was just the best C5 nascar door bar pic I could find. I hope you did not mind me using it.

Get notified of new replies

To cage ?

Quick Reply: cage ?