Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How can I test to see if i broke an output shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default How can I test to see if i broke an output shaft?

Just got the car back from the shop. New Clutch, New torque tube, new guibos (aluminum), new stage 4 RPM transmission, new A/C compressor(like that matters).

First run, I make it about 50 feet, short shift to 2nd, slight sound but no power to the wheels.

The car goes into and out of all the gear spots fine, feels normal, clutch feels normal, but no matter what gear I am in it won't put any power to either the left or right wheel.
I can raise the car in the air and both wheels feel like the car is in neutral. No weird sounds, no grinding nothing. Almost like the motor is not hooked up to the drive line.

I made a note in the teck area and they think I broke my output shaft. But nobody will tell me how to check to see if it's that.

If it Is the output shaft, i may try and do that repair myself, if it's further up the line I have no lift so i'm out of luck.

So how can i test this?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ttt
Old 06-24-2008, 07:30 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

isn't it something along the lines of lift the rear and turn the back left tire and if the right tire doesn't turn with it, it's the output shaft?
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
isn't it something along the lines of lift the rear and turn the back left tire and if the right tire doesn't turn with it, it's the output shaft?
Yeah but the same can be said if your clutch packs are toast.
If anything it would be an input failure since both wheels are not turning. I would look into something between the clutch and the rear end, weather it's a clutch problem, torque tube, or the tranny/diff connection I can't really say. I would say more than likely it's a clutch issue since all of the other connections are solid (shaft into coupler).
There is an inspection cover that you can remove to look at things but if you have headers that makes things a little tough.

Get notified of new replies

To How can I test to see if i broke an output shaft?

Quick Reply: How can I test to see if i broke an output shaft?