Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best BBK for C6 Z06?

Old 06-23-2008, 11:45 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts

Default What is the best BBK for C6 Z06?

I know the CarboTech full pad is almost out that will replace the padlets, but I've finally come out of denial and realize a front caliper/rotor replacement is what is needed.

the choices seem to be Brembo or StopTech and the Brembos seem to be either red or yellow.

Which is the best value? I do about 4-5 events/year but 2 of them are at Road America where I go through a front set of XP12's in about 3 sessions.

What are the differences between the StopTech and Brembos and what is the diff in the Brembos (can't just be color).
Old 06-24-2008, 12:06 AM
Todd Z
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,

You already know the answer STOP TECH!!

Todd (silver ZO6 with Nevada plate)
Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 AM
0Vector Vette
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary,
Before you discard the Z06 calipers, I would urge you to try Cobalt Friction pads and our Coleman Racing 2 piece rotors. I have run Carbotech pads before and while I aggree they stop the car very well, they wear out faster than any other pad I have used and are very harsh on the rotors. I started running Cobalt Friction pads at the end of last season and have been amazed by the results. I built a new car over the winter, see my avatar. I have run the Pfadt HPDE at Gingerman, 5 20 minute sessions, and a race day at Blackhawk Farms that included a 15 minute practice session, a 20 minute qualifying session, and a 30 minute race. My wear after all of that was only .060 off the pads. The rotors look great and the car stops like nothing I have run before. I know many hear have heard of Cobalt Friction but few have tried them. Once you do, you won't be going back to another brand.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:16 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget HardbarUSA has a caliper bracket set up for the PFC zr33 calipers. The specs look insane. They also have a snazzy two piece 14" rotor. Even better Gary has described the bracket as modular so you could even run the NAPA C5 rotors if you were at a light braking track.

I went Wilwood SL6R on my C6 non-Z, personally, as the PFC zr33 was a touch too rich for me.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:19 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Brembo Gran Turismo

The Gran Turismo Monoblock setup from Brembo is second to none.

You receive the best in caliper technology with those massive monoblock calipers. The whole upper bridge is all one piece. They also feater very large pads that allow you to absorb a lot more heat than the other calipers. The rotors feature a 'narrow annulus' design that moves the whole kit to outermost part of the 14" or 15" rotor. The calipers wrap around the rotors. Featuring the largest calipers and the best design it's a fantastic setup. Extremely lightweight calipers.

The yellow is only available from Brembo when they're the Monoblock calipers. There is no difference in the calipers given they are both Monoblocks.

Also, we offer some services that others cannot. Working so closely with Race Technology I receive amazing support from the best their company has to offer. Experts on advice and in case an issue arises we have answers to your problems. Bowmanized is available for support at times when others are closed. We also have the best replacement part services in the business. Being a stocking vendor for replacement parts allows us to have parts available for amazing prices along with that support.

Brembo Gran Turismo / Race Technologies / Bowmanized
Old 06-24-2008, 01:31 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Yes but...

Wouldn't the "best" also take into consideration; purchase price, pad options, weight issues, replacement costs, availability, not to mention balancing his purchase with his intended use??

I have no doubt that many or all of the above are vary capable products. Yet the realized return on an 'enthusiasts pacakge' (4-5 track events a year, not so uncommonly narrowed down to 2-3, combined with a daily driver doesn't scream hard core racer to me) is questionable with a $3k+ investment.

I'd be compelled to put the 14.25" Wilwood W6a set up against the above for nothing more than dollar value. Even if it's coming up short on high zoot tech.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:15 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Yes but...

Wouldn't the "best" also take into consideration; purchase price, pad options, weight issues, replacement costs, availability, not to mention balancing his purchase with his intended use??

I have no doubt that many or all of the above are vary capable products. Yet the realized return on an 'enthusiasts pacakge' (4-5 track events a year, not so uncommonly narrowed down to 2-3, combined with a daily driver doesn't scream hard core racer to me) is questionable with a $3k+ investment.

I'd be compelled to put the 14.25" Wilwood W6a set up against the above for nothing more than dollar value. Even if it's coming up short on high zoot tech.
The purchase price is right in line with the others only you get a lot more. It's a complete and total package. Wilwoods? Ok are they floating rotors? How are the rotors attached to the bell again? Are the rotors treated? How much money did the aforementioned company spend on R&D for that kit? Dollar for Dollar you get way more for your money. Goodridge lines with crush washers and proper connections. What are the bores(thickness) of the caliper pistons? What about piston diameters? Do they stagger the piston sizes to avoid taper? There is a lot more that goes into a proper brake kit than the number of pistons in the caliper. I love selling the Brembo Gran Turismo because my customers deserve the best for their hard earned money. Brembo GT Kits are delivered with the best in pad technology available.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:43 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
Yes but...

No offense Todd, but the wilwood is OK for the Average track guy who wants something better than stock. I like the Wide SL6 we use on our Gstop kit. I cant get a W6A setup out of wilwood, as the price is too steep. For a few hundred dollars more, you can get a stoptech setup which is proven and reliable. Lots of them out there, and they work well.

Having known Gary for a LONG time, back when he had his C5, I think a stoptech kit is in order. Ive seen the man drive

Brembos are great, but the pads are extremely thin which I wish they had thicker ones available, but given the constraints of the setup, there is no option.

Give me a call tomorrow Gary, Id be glad to discuss anything brakes.

Louis

Last edited by Louis @ LG Motorsports; 06-24-2008 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:48 AM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bowmanized
The purchase price is right in line with the others only you get a lot more. It's a complete and total package. Wilwoods? Ok are they floating rotors? How are the rotors attached to the bell again? Are the rotors treated? How much money did the aforementioned company spend on R&D for that kit? Dollar for Dollar you get way more for your money. Goodridge lines with crush washers and proper connections. What are the bores(thickness) of the caliper pistons? What about piston diameters? Do they stagger the piston sizes to avoid taper? There is a lot more that goes into a proper brake kit than the number of pistons in the caliper. I love selling the Brembo Gran Turismo because my customers deserve the best for their hard earned money. Brembo GT Kits are delivered with the best in pad technology available.
Oh, and Mike, you best get to know Todd first. He has been around a long time and knows his stuff about brakes.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:42 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
That's a lot of questions! I'm confident I could address one or all of them with little issue but wasn't my point. I was only mentioning this as one of the options he may wish to look at for as many rightly noted or counter reasons mentioned. I can understand it's not what you'd wish to sell him but it certainly doesn't mean he's not entitled to explore all his options.

I agree with Louis; for the average user it's more than capable. I don't know Gary so I can't offer a personal touch here but that won't stop me from tossing my own .02 in on an open request for information. I haven't had any delivery issues with the parts however, not sure what's up with that. I have a couple sets of calipers on the shelf now with Lightning and Magnum guys jumping up and down about this caliper.

...anyhow, carry on!
Old 06-24-2008, 05:51 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Todd Z
Gary,

You already know the answer STOP TECH!!

Todd (silver ZO6 with Nevada plate)
Todd, PM me Joel's phone number...he left me a PM an told me to call him but I don't have his #
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Gary2KC5
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
No offense Todd, but the wilwood is OK for the Average track guy who wants something better than stock. I like the Wide SL6 we use on our Gstop kit. I cant get a W6A setup out of wilwood, as the price is too steep. For a few hundred dollars more, you can get a stoptech setup which is proven and reliable. Lots of them out there, and they work well.

Having known Gary for a LONG time, back when he had his C5, I think a stoptech kit is in order. Ive seen the man drive

Brembos are great, but the pads are extremely thin which I wish they had thicker ones available, but given the constraints of the setup, there is no option.

Give me a call tomorrow Gary, Id be glad to discuss anything brakes.

Louis
Louis, I'm impressed with your memory...I called but you were under a car or something. Anthony gave me some info, thanks

Get notified of new replies

To What is the best BBK for C6 Z06?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is the best BBK for C6 Z06?