Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synpower Brake fluid MIA-I'm angry

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 05:21 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

Default Synpower Brake fluid MIA-I'm angry

So I've been using Synpower in all but my most hardcore cars for several years now. I've completely TOASTED the best pads, but never boiled synpower. I cooked a set of DTC70's this weekend at CMP, but after cooling down, brakes came right back (proof that the fluid didn't boil).

Anyway, appearantly the silver Synpower bottles are being replaced with Bluid bottles, and the boiling point is lower. They still call it synthetic, but other drivers that have used it say it really isn't as good.

Anyway, if you are like me and appreciate being able to pick up a 32oz bottle of great fluid for $6, let Valvoline know!
Old 06-24-2008, 07:28 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

just got an email from Valvoline..

The SynPower line of chemicals has been replaced with the new Valvoline Performance Chemicals. The new synthetic brake fluid is the same as the SynPower the labels have been misprinted. Sorry, for the confusion we are correctly working to resolve this issue. Thanks for choosing Valvoline!

are they to be trusted????? Different labels, different skews......?
Old 06-24-2008, 07:52 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

The SynPower line of chemicals has been replaced with the new Valvoline Performance Chemicals. The new synthetic brake fluid is the same as the SynPower the labels have been misprinted. Sorry, for the confusion we are correctly working to resolve this issue. Thanks for choosing Valvoline!

I wouldn't trust them, no. When you look at the cost of gas, tires, pads, rotors, hotel, not to mention event fee, I can't see using anything like that in the brakes. I never even considered them. Even ATE has not worked for me--it's Motul or Wilwood 600 all the way.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:02 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Funny you mentioned that David, I noticed it about a month ago too. I've always used Synpower w/o issue. I like to flush my brakes fluid a lot so the price was right, and having it readily available at any parts store in a pinch was awesome. I'll be interested to see how this 'new stuff' works out.

-TJ
Old 06-24-2008, 08:08 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

My 20 years has proven (to me) that 90% of brake fade is PAD related, not fluid. Synpower has proven to be a great product, and I hope this new product is the same.

I agree, ATE is not great fluid. And with rising costs, I AM willing to spend $6 on fluid instead of $40 to offset costs that I can't control, especially for a product that has proven worthy.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Dave,
One of the guys on the GTO board had an inside contact at Valvoline and confirmed that the new fluid is chemically identical to the old SynPower. If you check out the Data Sheet for the new fluid, it has the same specs as the SynPower branded fluid. I have no idea why they changed the boiling points on the bottle but kept them the same on the data sheet.

-Matt
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

I've often wondered the alternative to synthetic fluid? Organic?

I note the mention of the Wilwood exp and while great I'd urge caution with all but more hard core track days. Use 570 to begin with. The exp stuff won't offer you the shelf life needed unless you refresh it weekly. In a matter of a few months the fluid won't be as stable and likely below the level of others for dry boiling.

I agree fully: pads will nearly always fade before fluid. But... stock pads are not all that thick either...
Old 06-25-2008, 12:05 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

So I've been using Synpower in all but my most hardcore cars for several years now. I've completely TOASTED the best pads, but never boiled synpower. I cooked a set of DTC70's this weekend at CMP, but after cooling down, brakes came right back (proof that the fluid didn't boil).
you think you cooked dtc70's... and didn't boil valv syn power. those pads are the hottest running pads out there. boiling fluid also comes back after it cools down.

I have personally boiled valv syn power with pf01's. in fact syn power was the only fluid i have ever boiled.

if u want street grade fluid that is trackable, try the castrol lma.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Allthrottleandsomebottle
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Virginia Events Coordinator
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
NCM Ambassador

and I got a bridge...............
Old 06-25-2008, 08:57 AM
ZR1 MK
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed the boiling point change this year too. I used it once and all was fine, but thats on a baby track like Pocono North. I would never use it on a large track like Watkins Glen.
So Ill be looking for their corrected specs on the bottle.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:32 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Funny you mentioned that David, I noticed it about a month ago too. I've always used Synpower w/o issue. I like to flush my brakes fluid a lot so the price was right, and having it readily available at any parts store in a pinch was awesome. I'll be interested to see how this 'new stuff' works out.

-TJ

Well at least now I know I wasn't imagining things when I saw the new bottles had a lower boil point on them. I went to buy some a few days ago and noticed the new bottle and read the label. I didn't buy it at the time because I thought maybe they were going to have two levels of synthetic available for some reason. I'm running low now and will probably have to try it out.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:36 PM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

I AM willing to spend $6 on fluid instead of $40 to offset costs that I can't control, especially for a product that has proven worthy.
That's why I switched from Motul. Plus if I run out of Motul I can't just run to the local store and buy some.
Old 06-25-2008, 01:49 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just used the new stuff this weekend on my Neon with Carbotech pads. The pad backing plates were white when I took the pads off, but the fluid never seemed to boil. The only times I have boiled the Valvoline fluid were at Gingerman in my 69, which is pretty heavy. Gingerman is hard on brakes.

My experience is that once the fluid boils, it must be bled out. There are too many bubbles in the fluid to not bleed the brakes. I will continue using their fluid.

Ken
Old 06-25-2008, 07:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using fluid from the new bottles with no problems...seems like the old stuff to me.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:40 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

A friend runs a quickie-oil-change shop, and he is going to load me up with the Synpower bottles just to be safe. I'll try the Blue stuff when I have to, but at the same price, I'd rather know I'm getting the old Synpower.

Prestone makes a full synthetic 500deg fluid, but it comes in 8oz (or 12). By the time you get enough to use, the savings isn't enough to not just get AP/etc.

Get notified of new replies

To Synpower Brake fluid MIA-I'm angry

Quick Reply: Synpower Brake fluid MIA-I'm angry