Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New C4 track alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:06 PM
kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C4 track alignment

Picked up the car this evening. New alignment to the specs that Danny Popp recommended to me. Will be trying it out at the Michigan High Speed at Waterford Hills on July 5.

new tie rod ends and alignment. hope it helps.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:01 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

With a C4, I think you are going to find the need for more negative camber on the track. I run 315's on all 4 corners and Guldstrand set me up with -2.2 front and -1.5 rear. Prior to that I was running about -1.5 up front and a good portion of the inside of the front tires were not wearing. If you don't have a camber bar you are going to want to add that to your list shortly for the front. It will help a lot.

Have fun!
Old 06-27-2008, 01:03 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Was your front camber was maximized at 1.2 Neg. You are running more toe in at the rear than I am; be sure to report back on how you liked it. If Danny Popp recommends that rear toe in setting, I will probably change mine to that spec next time I have mine aligned.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:29 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

that is a perfect c4 alignment. especially the front left.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:10 AM
kam
Racer

OK, all of you have good points. This is an all around alignment for a car that is used for street, autocross, trackdays and high speed TT. Tires are 275/40-17 street on all corners. Danny said he would have used more negative on a track only car. All the shims are out on the left front and the right front was set to match the left. The Tech who did the setup runs SCCA so he understands the rules and use it is getting. On a car that gets some street use we didn't want to go too far negative. Rules do limit what we can do to a 1SG, AS car. I am interested is seeing Danny's opinion of the setup now.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:22 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo2GS
With a C4, I think you are going to find the need for more negative camber on the track. I run 315's on all 4 corners and Guldstrand set me up with -2.2 front and -1.5 rear. Prior to that I was running about -1.5 up front and a good portion of the inside of the front tires were not wearing. If you don't have a camber bar you are going to want to add that to your list shortly for the front. It will help a lot.

Have fun!
Sorry to hijack...What is a camber bar?

Thank you!

Steven
Old 06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

Interesting initial settings. Looks good now!

Did the camber bar improve your lap times at all? I won't add that much weight without seeing some gains.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

The Camber Brace ties the two shock towers together. On the C4 there is a lot of flex and this flex will cause the static camber to change. "The CAMBER-BRACE was designed to solve the problem of the frame flexing when going into a turn"

Yes, simular to most strut tower bars, it does help significantly. I don't know if there is a particular class you are running... But becareful not to bump yourself into another class...

My only other suggestion if you track it; brake air ducting for the front brakes!

Last edited by Solo2GS; 06-27-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:05 AM
kam
Racer

The Camber Brace ties the two shock towers together. On the C4 there is a lot of flex and this flex will cause the static camber to change. "The CAMBER-BRACE was designed to solve the problem of the frame flexing when going into a turn"

Yes, simular to most strut tower bars, it does help significantly. I don't know if there is a particular class you are running... But becareful not to bump yourself into another class...
that will take you out of group 1 in NCCC I think it would be a big improvement if I was just doing HPDE and not competition.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 AM
kam
Racer

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Interesting initial settings. Looks good now!

Did the camber bar improve your lap times at all? I won't add that much weight without seeing some gains.
Bought the car last fall and never had it aligned since I had it. With over 162000 miles I wasn't surprised the alignment was off. Not even what I would want for all street use. from the little driving I did since picking it up I think that the new bushings, tie rod ends and alignment are going to be a big help.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:17 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I ran AS for a while in the GS, then went up to BSP. Was fun for a while, but starting doing a lot more track days then decided to add a C5 to beat up on the track. Its in ASP and NCCC 2J and am having loads of fun! NCCC events are fun, but not a lot of competition there for me, but its great to hang out with my club members. I do my best to make it to every NCCC auto-x event that doesn't coincide with my SCCA season.

If your mostly competing NCCC the street tires won't bite you in the hind end. In SCCA AS race rubber is allowed. If you have a local regional "AT" or "street tire" indexed class then it might not be so bad.

Enjoy the new toy! Glad to see you out using it. Not enough NCCC members make auto-x their priority
Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 370 Likes on 306 Posts

The camber brace has been around a long time and I still have not ever read about it decreasing lap times. If you get a chance, try testing it.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Thank you. I thought the camber bar was something else. Like maybe a magic bar to gain negative camber

Steven
Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

If I am not mistaken they do make another magical device called the "Offset Poly A-Arm Bushing" that allows for more negative camber in the front!

Or for the rear a Camber Rod Kit, HD Heim Jointed Rear Toe Rod Kit, and Heim Jointed Trailing Links like I have. No more slop! No more self adjusting rear camber from worn out parts like the C4 is famous for!

Last edited by Solo2GS; 06-27-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:07 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

If I am not mistaken they do make another magical device called the "Offset Poly A-Arm Bushing" that allows for more negative camber in the front!

Or for the rear a Camber Rod Kit, HD Heim Jointed Rear Toe Rod Kit, and Heim Jointed Trailing Links like I have. No more slop! No more self adjusting rear camber from worn out parts like the C4 is famous for!

I have read your posts on here for years and respect your opinions, especially concerning the C4 so please take this question in the light it is asked. Would not the installaiton of polyurethane bushings have accomplished the same thing? I understand the adjustabliity factor with the heim jointed ends, but it seems that is the only real benefit. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Poly bushings can't replace the factory camber adjuster in the rear that wears out with age and even when torqued to god know what still loosens up while you are on the track and end up with a floating rear camber! Or worse causes you to go off the track!

But yes, the ease of adjustment and the overall "more" adjustability is the main purpose. I don't recall how much the factory rear allows for adjustment, but I know it isn't much and the C4 loves negative camber. Poly or not they do wear and move slightly compared to a sperical bearing. How much I don't know...
Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 PM
kowalski340
Pro

the reason many people use heim jointed rear suspension is that heim joints have zero deflection unlike rubber or poly bushings

Get notified of new replies

To New C4 track alignment

Old 06-27-2008, 10:34 PM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Yes these I have seen...I have the rear bar with the polly bushing. The bushings are better than stock put do wear out. I have changed one. Other benefit is the ease of camber adjustment over the stock set-up.

Steven
Old 06-28-2008, 02:11 AM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

that's nearly identical to the settings i use on my own car. bringiing the ride height down allowed more negative camber in my car. with no shims in front it was nearly -3.0. i have -1.2 in front and -1.5 in back. on a 770lb front spring and 490lb rear.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kowalski340
the reason many people use heim jointed rear suspension is that heim joints have zero deflection unlike rubber or poly bushings
Indeed, I would think this also relates to suspension component heim joints having a shorter lifespan? Or is this a myth?

Quick Reply: New C4 track alignment