Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Wow!

What a weekend. I had a ball!

No catastrophes that I know of.

I had 2 absolutely superb students and they did magnificently.

One of my student's had a C6 Z06 and a ZR1 was behind us coming out of Oak Tree and he smoked us like a pile of wet leaves. Damn, that thing was fast.

There was enough horsepower there to change the rotation of the earth!

5 or 6 ZR1's. And they were on track. Someone we all know drove one and hopefully he'll chime in with some insight.

Here's a couple of pix in front the motel Sunday night.

Old 07-01-2008, 09:55 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Hi, Jody. Didn't get a chance to introduce myself at the track. Want to thank you for the kind offer of tools/parts for my son's car (White FRC) when the radiator hose blew off on the back stretch. It appears that the flamingos enjoyed their time out in the sun. Maybe we'll see you at another event.

Gene
Old 07-01-2008, 10:01 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Great time!!!!! Hope my son and I can do it again next year. Thanks to Roc, Tom and all the others that made this another wonderful event. WOW
Old 07-01-2008, 10:43 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was right-seat in one last session today - with a c6z on our heels out of oak tree - he was in our slipstream, but we only put a couple car lengths on him down the back straight. Those 4-500 extra pounds do pay a price...but I must say, HOLY BRAKES batman!!!

<edit> Just saw another post since I started writing - great job out there Gene!

-john
Old 07-02-2008, 07:57 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Yup David Farmer, Chuck Hawks, Newlander, the watts brother, Roc and I each drove a ZR1. Not sure if anyone else did. as Tom Wallace needed to be called for personal approval or each driver

My Student had a ZR1.

First I like the suspension very much. I thought it was stiff yet compliant. Not as stiff as T1 or full boar racing suspension, but damn fine.

Second, I love the GM Motorsports like close ratio gear box. Normally we use 3 and 4th on VIR. With the ZR1 gear box need 2nd gear though T4 and out of Oak tree. IIRC the ZR1 2nd gear is close to our normal 3rd gear.

For most of us coming out of Oak Tree in 3rd gear we shift to 4th just prior to the south course timing tower, about 100 mph. then crest the hill into the brake zone almost red line 4th in the upper 140s maybe 150 depending on redline and tires.

I shifted into 4th 50 feet beyond the south course timing tower at 120 mph, hit 148-150 mph 1/2 up the hill. Not my car so I only shifted into 5th once up the back straight hill and into the brake zone upper 160s without a problem did not really look I had "other things" to do.. Yet the Z still had room for acceleration.

Those Brembo CCB really haul down the speed FAST. my left shoulder is black and blue from the shoulder harness.

Kept watching the oil and coolant temps, Never a problem with either.

I asked about putting on some R compounds and some Negative camber track alignment for Road America Event in Aug and the response was a

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-02-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

FANTASTIC EVENT Everyone.

Roc, and I would like to THANK all of our Great students, FANTASTIC instructors, and Volunteers for an Great event.

Huge Grins, and lots of happy faces.

We had ppl travel in from Texas, Mo, Wisconsin, Ill, Mich, Ohio, Maine, Ontario, but the winners for the farthest traveled to the event were Instructors Jim and Chris who flew in from the SF Bay area.

The Corner workers and Control ( Doug Hooper ) Loved working with us. Those guys said the sound of AMERICAN V8 is the best sound on the track.

Thank You again

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-02-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:28 AM
RogueVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

Had Fun. Probably the most fun I have had on track in years. Between Saturday running with Moser in the last session, and Wally in the 3rd and then the second session yesterday with Jr on my butt with Popp watching me drive from his passenger seat. I was grinning ear to ear the entire time I was on course and giving my little pewter piece of heaven everything I had.

Jody and Mac continue to show true southern hospitality, and boy do I thank you both.

The event was very well organized, in my opinion. Overall very few off's, I believe only one car had a major mechanical issue, and Spending time at that beautiful track with a few of my favorite people, was just great.

Again, I was just amazed at how many C6 Z's were there. Actually impressed is more like it, that so many people with them, are willing to learn how to actually drive them properly.

Never saw a ZR1 on track in the Red group. But I do know they soundede great under full throttle. I only heard one really get on it, a bronze/copper one. They look sharp with the chrome wheels. I just wonder about heat soak when driven hard for more then a few laps in hot weather.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:29 AM
ZMEGO
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom, Roc and all,
I was part of the Prime Drive group (too slow on the keyboard to get in on the full event).
Only had a chance to do one session and a ride along with the instructor but enjoyed it very much.
Also it was great to meet so many fellow corvette HPDE enthusiasts.

Can't wait until the Road America event, see you all there.

Gary
Old 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I have photos (instructors) and video I'll get up later, but it was a great event.

Driving the ZR1 was a real priviledge! I really like the gearing (I use 2nd anyway, but you get much more out of it with the tighter ratio). The suspension was very stable, but seemed to allow a bit more dive under braking. And speaking of braking, while the performance was obviously impressive, what you really notice is how SMOOTH the brakes are. You just don't feel the grinding of the pads/rotors like you do on a conventional braking system.

More later!
Old 07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Here's some video from the ZR1 Corral.

Bring money, and lots of it!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

It was a GREAT two days! Perfect weather, great people, and awesome cars. Much thanks to Dave, Wally and Jody for helping me keep my car running out there for day two! And even more thanks to Tom, Roc, and the entire NCM for this great event. I too had two awesome students that both amazed me on the amount they learned and how they could execute out on the track. VIR throws alot at you!

I did not get to drive or ride in a zr1, but my yellow student graciously let me take his Lingenfelter 630HP z06 out for a session late yesterday - HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME Just amazing
Old 07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Wow, what an event! Bravo and thanks to Tom, Roc, the hardest working nicest guy around hard luck car Mike, Chuck Hawk, the NCM staff, the VIR crew and all the people participating who make every moment special.

Is it possible to have this much fun legally? Let's keep the awesome good times quiet before an environmental group, noise abatement crowd, ACLU, PETA (for unethical treatment of 400 or more horses) or Greenpeace decide HPDE's are evil. If Congress is silly enough to hold hearings on the possible video actions of the NE Patriots, soon they will confiscate our camcorders and blame us for excessive use of fuel causing high oil prices and global warming! It is great to hang with friends, drive full out, behave in responsible safe manner and everyone looking like smiley faces without feeling guilty that our cars don't have a hybrid logo.

Thanks also to the England family for good gene pool of instructors.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 71corv
Hi, Jody. Didn't get a chance to introduce myself at the track. Want to thank you for the kind offer of tools/parts for my son's car (White FRC) when the radiator hose blew off on the back stretch. It appears that the flamingos enjoyed their time out in the sun. Maybe we'll see you at another event.

Gene
Hey Gene,

No problem. I hated to see him have a problem and was happy to offer anything I had to get him back out on track.

I'm glad he got it fixed.

BTW, the flamingos got a little sunburned, but they're willing to sacrifice to hang out with such a grand bunch.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

instructor photos from Sunday Morning here...also some ZR1 photos (including me driving the yellow one)

http://picasaweb.google.com/GJXsZ06/NCMVIR/
Old 07-02-2008, 03:58 PM
whosurdaddy
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
instructor photos from Sunday Morning here...also some ZR1 photos (including me driving the yellow one)

http://picasaweb.google.com/GJXsZ06/NCMVIR/
Cool. If that's you in the ZR1 in the last few shots - the sequence through NASCAR/T-4, do you not hit the apex there on purpose or is that just a bad shot or something.

Not busting nuggets. I'm just looking to get through a few places more quickly. T-4 is one of them. The 6/7 sequence is another. Hog pen also.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:04 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

I wanted to add - it was great connecting with some new people and reuniting with others. This is one of my favorite events.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a weekend,,, even though it really was Monday and Tues. VIR is just a great track to run. Thanks to Roc,Tom and all the volunteers. I had 2 great students. Donna was just great. Our last session together the best of the event,even though she was dealing with gearbox issues.She was very quick. Our ride together was the best session I had ,running with Jeremy was just awesome. Later in the day I told Jeremy-hey I was grinning under my helmet. My green student was also very good.

Get notified of new replies

To VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)

Old 07-02-2008, 04:16 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/videos/VIR-session2.wmv

some video of session two....you should be able to find my apex from that.

Turns 3, 6, and hogpen are some of my favorite sections.

**took a look at the photos, and the angles may be deceptive. I apex at the bend between 2-3 in a solid arc, touch the brake pedal (without straightening the wheel), then add a little more steering and hit the 2nd apex. Usually at full throttle soon after, using all of the track out including the curbing. Similarly in 5a-6, the late apex allows me to be at full throttle in 3rd gear at the apex of 5a all the way to the bridge. If you apex 5a late enough, 6 becomes a straightaway
Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM
ERND IT
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI-3 Car Show Winner
CI-4 Car Show Winner
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'09

There's a good reason why the NCM HPDE @ VIR is a sellout in less than 30 minutes - pretty much equal parts outstanding driving experience AND the PEOPLE

Tom, Roc, Chuck - the awesome VIR team and all the volunteer instructors who really care about improving their students driving skills It takes alot of hours and effort to make this event come together like it does - Thanks to each and every one of you

To Jeff Moser - YOU, my friend, are an excellent instructor and a GREAT driver. I learned alot from you and REALLY enjoyed riding with you in your session - that was AWESOME!!! I'm going to keep working hard on being smooth and hope to continue to improve You would've been proud of me on my last solo session - I was having so much fun I ran til I was on fumes!!

Danny, didn't get to do much with you this year, but I saw the video of you tearing up the upper esses and everywhere else - geez, dude, you are freaking unbelievable!! Hope you can bring YOUR car next year

Jeremy, Mike, Art, JD, Jody, Ron, Tom, Jeff/Jake, Tim, Bob & Nancy and SO, SO many others -- I love getting a chance to see and hang out with all of you for a couple of days - you guys are the best

Looking forward to doing this again NEXT year - same time, same place
Old 07-02-2008, 07:26 PM
Phil Smith
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow - another outstanding 2 days at VIR with the NCM. Many thanks to Tom & Roc and all the volunteers for putting on a great event. My green student had an issue with a check engine light first thing Monday morning and one of the GM tech guys (Ken) checked and cleared it and gave us the OK to go. Then on Tuesday one of the grid workers made a comment about his front brakes after a quick glance at the caliper on the C6Z06. Not sure how he did that (genius) but after the session Ken pulled the wheel and informed my student that he had over 50% pad rermaining. That is service!

Both my students did very well. Jim, my first event green student in a C6Z06 is now hooked. That sure is a fun car to ride in.

Glad I was in the black run group - not as many C6Z06's or T1 cars. If I saw a C6 with a little hood scoop in my rearview my left arm was out the window pointing. My 04 Z is now old hat.

How about that $10 buffet banquet for $30! (kidding)

Never seems to be enough time to walk around and talk when you have 2 students. Oh well maybe next year I'll get lucky and have one student.

Phil

Quick Reply: VIR/NCM 2 Day wrapup....(Post it here)