Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ra1s vs Hoosier Rs vs Hoosier As

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Default Ra1s vs Hoosier Rs vs Hoosier As

Anyone test back to back? How much faster is one than the other
Old 07-03-2008, 12:11 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The A6s are quite a bit faster. Prob 2 seconds over the R6. R6s are also faster than RA1s

Not only that but usually your best chance for a clean lap in TT is in the first 3 laps giving the A6s and even greater advantage. It's easy to get them up to temps.

I'd be careful with A6s, dialed suspension, and aero, that much grip and no dry sump can be hazardous to your pocketbook.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:53 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
The A6s are quite a bit faster. Prob 2 seconds over the R6. R6s are also faster than RA1s

Not only that but usually your best chance for a clean lap in TT is in the first 3 laps giving the A6s and even greater advantage. It's easy to get them up to temps.

I'd be careful with A6s, dialed suspension, and aero, that much grip and no dry sump can be hazardous to your pocketbook.
So is that what happened to your engine ? Hey I saw you sell hoosiers now, I will be a customer as soon as I wear out some scrubs I have. Question, my tires are hoosier A3SO4s, how would they do at a full day at T-hill? Would they be OK or would they get too hot and "greasy"? I also have some hoosier VRL scrubs that I could put on my rims instead of the A3SO4s.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:16 AM
bowmanized
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redtopz
So is that what happened to your engine ? Hey I saw you sell hoosiers now, I will be a customer as soon as I wear out some scrubs I have. Question, my tires are hoosier A3SO4s, how would they do at a full day at T-hill? Would they be OK or would they get too hot and "greasy"? I also have some hoosier VRL scrubs that I could put on my rims instead of the A3SO4s.
That's great I look forward to setting your car up with Hoosiers.

The A3s are pretty old now, but if you wait to run them until you're at the track they should work pretty well for one weekend or so. I didn't have any issues with them getting greasy and I was really pushing. If you have the pressures correct they should be the 'all day' package. You'll probably need to add some camber to take full advantage of the rubber.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bowmanized
That's great I look forward to setting your car up with Hoosiers.

The A3s are pretty old now, but if you wait to run them until you're at the track they should work pretty well for one weekend or so. I didn't have any issues with them getting greasy and I was really pushing. If you have the pressures correct they should be the 'all day' package. You'll probably need to add some camber to take full advantage of the rubber.
Great thank you. Yeah these are probably 4 years old, but they had never been mounted and I got them for $300. I plan to burn thru them this weekend auto-xing and next weekend at THill and then I'll call you for some new A6's for auto-x.

Sorry for the hijack. I've run the RA1's on my gto and they are a great R-compound tire similar to the nitto 555RII. But as was mentioned, no match for the hoosiers.

Last edited by redtopz; 07-03-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:13 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

I am around 2 seconds faster on Hoosier R6 around a 2.9 mile track than I am on RA-1. My sample is biased though, since I am always on used tires. New, I am not sure how it would shake down.

My preference is the A series though, for the reasons mentioned earlier: If you are time trialing, the nature of the event is that you will get your good laps in early. The R6 takes a bit to come up to temp, and the A comes up fast. The Toyo is harder to begin with, so it also has pretty god performance because it doesn't have to get as hot as quick to perform at its potential. Or so it seems to me. Of course, Toyos are also five fewer points in the NASA time trial structure. If you're in TTS or TTU where it doesn't matter, Hoosiers or Kumho V710 would be the way to go.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:28 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by redtopz
Depends how you drive, I had a new set of A3S05s on my 03 Zo6 and exposed 3 inches of cord in twelve hard laps.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:00 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A3S04's and A3S05's you have to run alot more pressure in to keep the shoulder from cording.....this was a known problem with these tires back in the day. I would run 8-10 more psi in those tires than the A6's especially the front since they are the "steer" tires..........

A6's are the sh*t...........I dont think there is a faster TT tire.....surface makes a big difference to how much faster the A6 is than the R6. Someplaces I can run the same lap times on either, and some surfaces the A6 is as mentioned, about 2 sec faster.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:17 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Danny -

What kindof lifespan on-track can you expect from A6's, given that they are really intended for autocross/qualifying?

Will they overheat during the later laps of a TT session, compared to R6's?

BTW - I appreciate your time and advise at the NCM event about suspension upgrades to my C6. It was great to see you again.

Rob Falkner told me to say HELLO. He just turned the 2nd fastest overall time at the Porsche Parade auto-x at Charlotte (Lowe's) Motor Speedway in his STOCK Boxster S. The Kozlak's drove Rob's 968 to 4th & 5th overall (IIRC).

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 07-03-2008 at 02:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ra1s vs Hoosier Rs vs Hoosier As

Quick Reply: Ra1s vs Hoosier Rs vs Hoosier As