Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

update on engine replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:50 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on engine replacement

Some folks have asked about the status of my engine failure incident at VIR during the May 28-29 Tarheel Sports Car Club event, so I thought I would post this recap. The car was transported to Bowling Green the Monday following the incident on Thursday. The LS7 engine replacement program is described in the factory bulletin as a 10 business day procedure. Well, it took 30 days, due mostly to some honest bad luck. The main tech assigned to this program had some hospitalization due to illness, the manager was replaced, and the truck returning the car to NC lost its brakes in the mountains and had to stop for repairs. The folks at Sir Walter Chevrolet in Raleigh were great; could not have asked for better cooperation. I have only about 70 miles under the new motor break-in period, and it seems good as new (well, better let's hope). I thought I would follow up with Bowling Green in a few weeks and see if they can tell me what the engine tear down revealed. All I know is the motor lost oil pressure completely, and succumbed shortly thereafter. But, any number of things could have caused it. From the sound, I'm sure a main bearing was involved, but it could have been victim of something else, oil pump maybe. If I learn any details of the mechanical problem, I will post it.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks for the update, Ed.

Since I'll probably own one of these some day, I appreciate all you info you can give us.

On the return of the car, the series of events were odd. Glad it all worked out!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:39 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ed

Chevy has a new dry sump tank coming out to fix that oil problem. Not sure if it is out yet or not

Lingenfleter also has a tank that works better and may be less then the Chevy replacement tank
Old 07-03-2008, 08:48 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They mentioned that the tank in the 09 z and zr1 was revised.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:01 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

I would imagine it was a pump failure, or a stuck bypass valve. Since we did see "some" oil pressure once it cooled down a little (was it 3psi, or 6???), I don't think it was tank related or track related, just a component failure.

The GM guys did also mention the new ZR1 tank to me, and appearantly it will be a drop in larger replacement for the Z06. Personally, however, I've not seen any oiling issues with the Z06.....doesn't even use any oil.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:06 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like GM stepped up to the plate for ya. Awaiting further details........

Get notified of new replies

To update on engine replacement

Quick Reply: update on engine replacement