Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer insurance

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 05:20 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default trailer insurance

Do any of you with enclosed trailers have any recommendations for insuring them? I have always towed open, but just picked up an enclosed and am not so much worried about the trailer as I am my equipment inside. My current insurance only covers up to $800. They did ask me to itemize everything that will be inside and they could provide me a quote. With all my equipment inside it can be very expensive loss if it gets stolen. Any ideas?
thanks,
-V
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Homeowners insurance typically covers any loose items.
Old 07-03-2008, 07:20 PM
Z11409
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
Do any of you with enclosed trailers have any recommendations for insuring them? I have always towed open, but just picked up an enclosed and am not so much worried about the trailer as I am my equipment inside. My current insurance only covers up to $800. They did ask me to itemize everything that will be inside and they could provide me a quote. With all my equipment inside it can be very expensive loss if it gets stolen. Any ideas?
thanks,
-V
WE pay about $45 a year for full coverage with a $250 ded.Just call you auto insurance carrier.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:09 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I need to give my auto insurance a list of everythying that will be inside, but once I add up all tools, equipment, trailer, race car, etc., etc., it may well be over $100k and I doubt it will be inexpensive. I just don't want to pay a fortune for something that only gets used once a month or so. At home it's safe, but parked anywhere on the road is what worries me.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:23 AM
0C5stein
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me at the shop next week.
We have a great insurance agent and he understands racers and car collector's needs. He was able to get MSI garage keeper's insurance that even covers incomplete restoration projects as well as when we deliver customers cars in our trailer.

We will be closed for the Holiday but our usual days and hours are:
Tues - Fri 9-5:30 and Sat from 8am to noon.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:00 AM
klasik-69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have State Farm and coverage on the trailer costs $44 per 6 month term. Contents are covered under homeowner's coverage with the exception of the vehicle inside, and it has separate coverage. Also, to make sure I don't have issues on the road, I also got the AAA Premium membership that covers me with better towing and roadside coverage.

My biggest concern with towing the trailer (27' enclosed) is running over one of those large truck tire recaps that pealed off. I've seen a lot of vehicles get their tires pealed off the rim after hitting one of those.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Although my trailer has a small amount of coverage because of my auto policy, it's not enough. My race car isn't covered by the policy since it's unregistered so I've looked into other companies to insure these items.

I got a quote of ~$500 annually for ~$40,000 worth of coverage on the trailer, contents and car. North Carolina has some kind of crazy law that makes that type of insurance more expensive that other states. In some states that same insurance was only $250.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:13 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I insure my track car with a 'key off policy' from Heacock Classic Insurance. a $20,000 policy for $250 / year. The car is covered in the paddock, loading and unloading, in storage and in transport. Just not on the track. I do need to insure the trailer itself, but like previously stated, loose items are covered by homeowners policy.

Get notified of new replies

To trailer insurance

Quick Reply: trailer insurance