Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have harnesses? Are you using neck restraints?

Old 07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Have harnesses? Are you using neck restraints?

At Chin's VIR event this past week, I ended up with a significant off track adventure ending in the tire wall just past and to the left of #6. Hit the wall doing around 55-60 mph and while it wasn't a 0 degree head on, it was pretty jarring nonetheless (just guessing but maybe 20-30 degrees off axis). My Traqmate said I pulled 3G but who knows, it could have been more - the accelerometers got messed up as soon as the car started to spin.

Won't go into the hows/whys of the adventure but in reflecting on it I am glad I was wearing full 6 pt harness AND a HANS device. I was a little sore afterwards - neck & back but nothing a little Advil didn't help with - but really escaped without any injury at all. Car, unfortunately, was not so lucky though it's easier to fix.

Anyway over the 4 days I was at NCM/Chin, I noticed at least 2-3 individuals who had equipped their cars with harnesses but who did not have any form of neck restraint. I'm no expert but this seems like trouble waiting to happen. The harnesses hold you in so tight your body doesn't even move when you hit the wall and decelerate to zero in under 1 second. Your head? Oh, it's not restrained and it's got a 2-3 lb (estimate) weight strapped on. What slows your head down in a wreck? Your neck. Recipie for a basilar skull fracture according to those who are experts (doesn't sound good does it?).

More info here:

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Head_and_Neck_Restraints

If you have harnesses, don't drive on track again until you get some kind of neck restraint. If you don't have harnesses, I would recommend them though I know others have different views on this - each person needs to make up his/her own mind on the harness topic. Can't imagine how I would have faired with a single shoulder belt and no neck restraint (though my airbags would have deployed without the racing seats in the car - as it was they were disconnected which at least saved me some money). If nothing else, I think I would have been more bruised and perhaps a burn or two from the airbags.

Just my thought for the day for those who weren't clued into this (as I know most here are). Cheers.

JRZ

Last edited by jrz1; 07-06-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:55 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Sorry to hear about the incident but glad you are OK.

I agree, I have a HANS and harness system and would not think about going out without the HANS on.

The only thing I would recommend with the HANS is the sliding tether.
I have a bit of a problem seeing my right side mirror.

Good luck on getting your car back together.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:00 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to be torn by the argument of whether to put a racing seat/harness into an uncaged car. However, the only time that having a race seat in an uncaged car can be bad is in a rollover. Corvettes rarely roll over, so you might as well save your self 99% of the time.

If youre tracking your car more than 4-5 times a year (or are in the solo/instructor group), its definitely prudent to go out and get a good racing seat/harness bar/harness/H&N device.

I say this more than ever because of the NASA HPDE'r that broke his C1 and C2 in a wreck at hyperfest. Luckily he hasnt suffered any problems from the injury, but it couldve easily been worse. A race seat and proper restraints wouldve saved his neck. He says that during the impact his head traveled all the way to the passenger seat. Thats no good.

So go out and spend some money guys.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:33 PM
jrz1
Pro

The sliding tethers are definitely a nice upgrade.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The factory belts and airbags worked great at ~100mph head on into the wall in a C5. All of my significant off track events have been in the passenger seat.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:41 PM
linutux
Pro

Originally Posted by jrz1
If you have harnesses, don't drive on track again until you get some kind of neck restraint.
Don't use the harnesses without a neck restraint(HANS).

I delayed going to harnesses until I could swing the full package:seats, 6pt, harness bar, belt anchors, HANS. I love the sliding tethers; the mobility/visibility is excellent.

JRZ, Sorry to hear about your misadventure and I'm very glad to see your doing well. Your investment in safety equipment has proven itself with your lack of injury. I was in a very similar accident on an interstate several years ago and had 'burns' from the airbag, a sprained and cut finger and was very sore for many days. The 3pt with airbag saved my life; but, it didn't prevent and even CAUSED some injuries.

A neck restraint should be considered a requirement for a 5-6pt harness system.

Which harness bar are you using?

Any sign of movement in the harness bar?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:05 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry about you incident. I would not feel safe running in a car without a HANS. In '87 racing in offshore in Key West World Championship some started wearing harnesses. Jesse James boat stuffs (Dipped under water) two brothers are harnessed in one short one tall. No canopies as they latter learned to use. Their heads go forward as the boat decelerates entering the water. Water comes over the deck and slams their heads back into seats. Tall brother gets the worst his helmet and skull split from ear to ear. Shorter brother no serious injury. Neck is a very fragile as we know.

Spend money on HP but a solid hit at even 50 mph is a very violent action. Guilty of it myself. I need a full cage in my car and fire suppression system before luck runs out. We are all doing over 150 at most tracks and some as high as 180+
Old 07-06-2008, 07:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by varkwso
The factory belts and airbags worked great at ~100mph head on into the wall in a C5. All of my significant off track events have been in the passenger seat.
Would the air bags work just as well with a 5 or 6 point harness? Reason I ask is because I'm guessing the factory 3 point would allow some forward movement of the entire body until the air bag stops your head. With a harness the forward body movement is not as much - right?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:24 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Would the air bags work just as well with a 5 or 6 point harness? Reason I ask is because I'm guessing the factory 3 point would allow some forward movement of the entire body until the air bag stops your head. With a harness the forward body movement is not as much - right?
I do not think so.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:40 PM
kam
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to hear about your offtrack. Glad you are OK. I won't hijack your thread to tell about mine at Waterford Hills. Will start my own thread for that one.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:10 PM
jrz1
Pro

Appreciate all the well wishes. With the right equipment it's amazing how a reasonably hard bump is pretty much a non-event. Already can't wait to get car back in order and have a chance to get back on track though college football season is coming up which kills a lot of my Fall.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Got the message. The HANs SPORT model in big boy size "should" be available in August...
Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
jrz1
Pro

Originally Posted by Z06cool
Got the message. The HANs SPORT model in big boy size "should" be available in August...
Didn't realize you didn't have one yet!
Old 07-06-2008, 09:51 PM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Do devices such as the HANS etc need to be replaced after a number of seasons such as helmets and belts?

What about afer a hit? Are the mounts etc subject to damaging forces?
Old 07-06-2008, 10:00 PM
Z06cool
Drifting

Originally Posted by jrz1
Didn't realize you didn't have one yet!
I was using the excuse that the airbag may save me a bit but it was a weak one. Then my other excuse was cost and lack of side vision but when the HANs SPORT model came out (and also the sliding tethers), I was ready to buy but nice that marketing was well ahead of supply and they only had the small size...

I think I've tempted fate enough times. I'm really glad you're okay!!
Old 07-06-2008, 10:02 PM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by sperkins
correct. to the best of my knowledge (which is considerable), the air bag is essentially nonfunctional when you add a harness. just kidding about the considerable knowledge part.

one exception: schroth makes a DOT harness which has a tensioner like your factory seat belt. thus the airbag works.

http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Engineering go to the bottom, quickfit technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbwvYqq22s
Old 07-06-2008, 10:06 PM
jrz1
Pro

Originally Posted by mousecatcher
correct. to the best of my knowledge (which is considerable), the air bag is essentially nonfunctional when you add a harness. just kidding about the considerable knowledge part.

one exception: schroth makes a DOT harness which has a tensioner like your factory seat belt. thus the airbag works.

http://www.schrothracing.com/main/Engineering go to the bottom, quickfit technology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHbwvYqq22s
In my car at least it is the removal of the stock seats with their side airbags that causes a fault in the system and the shut down of the dash mounted air bags. I'm ok with this while on track since with my harnesses & HANS, my head would never benefit from the inflation of the bags.

Get notified of new replies

To Have harnesses? Are you using neck restraints?

Old 07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

Ok instructors...how do you feel about your passenger strapping into YOUR right-seat harness without a HANS. I'd be concerned about liability issues in the case of a mishap...
Old 07-06-2008, 10:25 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by freefall
Ok instructors...how do you feel about your passenger strapping into YOUR right-seat harness without a HANS. I'd be concerned about liability issues in the case of a mishap...
when I'm taking a passenger around the track (2 race seats, 2 harnesses) I do not wear a HANS. Equal restraints for both occupants of the car. I also dont drive at 10/10ths with a passenger in the car, I drive fast, possibly even frightening them, but not on the edge.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Great info here guys.

Someone should post a list of proven neck restraints and a links to where they can be purchased.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have harnesses? Are you using neck restraints?