Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what speed Vir esses

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default what speed Vir esses

I am running about mid 90s max at the upper esses.... a bit slower in the lower part (i think cant remember for sure) Just trying to figure out what speed others carry into and out of the esses... Mid 90s seems like max pucker factor for me :-) On street tires here as well...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose pucker factor is relative to the driver.

My 2 students at the NCM event both carried 100+ MPH through the esses. It's definitely a rhythm thing.

The higher skilled drivers reach 125+.

I wouldn't get too worked up over your speed as long as your having fun!

Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cool

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
I suppose pucker factor is relative to the driver.

My 2 students at the NCM event both carried 100+ MPH through the esses. It's definitely a rhythm thing.

The higher skilled drivers reach 125+.

I wouldn't get too worked up over your speed as long as your having fun!

Mike
cool... i think i will hang out in upper 80s lower 90s for a while having fun and keeping her safe
Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
I am running about mid 90s max at the upper esses.... a bit slower in the lower part (i think cant remember for sure) Just trying to figure out what speed others carry into and out of the esses... Mid 90s seems like max pucker factor for me :-) On street tires here as well...
The better your car is set up the less you will feel the pucker factor. If your car doesn't handle or is stock and rolls around you cannot avoid pucker unless you are nuts! Good acr good seat and belts build confidence. When you start to pucker bad it means you want to drive home in your car in one piece and it is a good thing.

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-09-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have traqmate data confirming I was entering the Esses with Chin at over 128MPH... Now for the real depressing stats...

I bought my traqmate used (one weekend) from Matt Callahan of Raleigh NC. Matt left a few sessions on the unit from the weekend we were down with PCA first settlers in May... Matt drives a highly modified GT2...The data shows him entering T7 at 138mph... Matt runs 2:00s and occassional 1:59s in his GT2.

Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 10:40 PM
elh0102
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone maintaining 125 through the esses is damn fast. I would not attempt it on street tires and stock suspension. I'm usually at about 130 as I pass the north course turnout, and brush the brakes at that point. I expect I'm just a bit over 110 or so at the bottom, and I don't think I've ever looked at the speed between that point and T10, which I usually go through just over 100. I feel like I have a reasonble safety margin at that speed, but I know I would not at 125.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

That's the beauty of traqmate... No "guessing" or "thinking"... Down side is you KNOW how slow you are where you're slow...

Knowing it's recording the data lets me focus on driving my laps and not worry about "how fast" I went down X straight or entering Y high speed corner. There are a LOT of guys who'd be surprised by the reality of what they aren't doing... I know I was in a couple areas!

Mike
Old 07-09-2008, 10:45 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

It all depends on car setup and tires. The Panoz doesnt have a working speed sensor so I have no clue, but I can almost go flat out through there w/ the aero.

In my Z06 w/ basically stock suspension (lowered, bilstien sports, allignment) on V710s I was in the 110 range.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:02 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have traqmate as well. Best I ever run on full course (when I stay on track of course) is 2:06-2:07. In my "fast laps" in the beginning part of the esses (ie the first right hand after the straight), I'm in the 110-115mph range and I typically maintain this speed through the esses until I get to the top of the hill when the speeds reduce slightly to 108-111 mph before the left hander to the short downhill straight. I don't recall anyone pulling away from me through the esses (many other corners I get killed on, yes....) so I'd be surprised if someone was doing 115-125mph through the esses at least at the events I've been at (the redbull Ferrari could be the exception but I only followed him through the esses once and it was reasonably close).
Old 07-09-2008, 11:20 PM
freefall
Burning Brakes

At the NCM event (first day), I was on older BFG KDW2 street tires with stock suspension - entering (7) about 110-115 and exiting (9) at about 105 - it started sliding higher than that. Maintaining speed through them is all about experience, comfort, being smooth, and consciously maintaining throttle.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:25 AM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

F A S T.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:54 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

What part of the esses are we talking about here, differences in placement can mean 5-10 mph easily.

I'm at turn in to the esses, which is essentially the turn off for the other course (dont know which) I'm about 128-130, but by the apex of the first curb (left) I'm around 124-126 the second curb (right)116-118third gator (left) 115-117 and finally 113-116 at the top right hander. I'm actually surprised at that because I didnt feel very fast there.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:55 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
I have traqmate data confirming I was entering the Esses with Chin at over 128MPH... Now for the real depressing stats...

I bought my traqmate used (one weekend) from Matt Callahan of Raleigh NC. Matt left a few sessions on the unit from the weekend we were down with PCA first settlers in May... Matt drives a highly modified GT2...The data shows him entering T7 at 138mph... Matt runs 2:00s and occassional 1:59s in his GT2.

Mike

Mike, email me some of those laps.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:05 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Dez, Send me your email address to dat74z@yahoo.com

I just looked at a 2:10 lap of mine and it shows me running 129mph past the cut off for north course, and above 124MPH entering T7. I am at about 118mph leaving T8 and I drop to about 112mph getting to T9. At the entry to T10 I drop down to about 90mph and carry 88-90mph thru the exit of T10. Dropping down into south bend I max at 115MPH before I start my brake/shift/turn in for T11/12!

Mike

Last edited by Mikelly; 07-10-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by elh0102
Anyone maintaining 125 through the esses is damn fast. I would not attempt it on street tires and stock suspension. I'm usually at about 130 as I pass the north course turnout, and brush the brakes at that point. I expect I'm just a bit over 110 or so at the bottom, and I don't think I've ever looked at the speed between that point and T10, which I usually go through just over 100. I feel like I have a reasonble safety margin at that speed, but I know I would not at 125.
I agree with Ed. the esses is not a place where you want to enter more then 2 mph faster then your best attempt.

Normal enter about 120-125, exit 120, tap brake and though T10 at 100-105

But for my first 10 or so schools, 90 was just fine, and plenty scary

When I drive other ppls cars, I wont enter above 95.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:18 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here is Chris Ingles Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVES715qL0w

Think he mentioned he entered about 130, exited abotu 125, though T10 at 115.

Dont try to be a hero, that armco on the left side is a lot closer then it use to be.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:33 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have no idea what speed I am going through there and frankly I dont want to know. I found out that when my speedo broke I run much faster lap times because I dont focus on the speed I am going and just go to where I feel comfortable and safe.

I can tell you that with my LS7 setup and 3.73 gears with a rev limiter at 7000 I run out of 4th gear right around the bridge (I do have coilovers and run R6 tires). I am guessing that is in the 140s. I try to keep constant speed there hanging below the rev limiter until I reach the cones at which point I lift (no brakes) for the left hand turn. I am then using the accelerator to balance the car over the bump and up the hill until I make the right at the top of the hill at which time I am getting into the gas because frankly I feel if I am not in the gas at that point the car is going to slide out. I love the feel when it plants itself around that turn.

Anyway on the small straight I am on the gas before braking for the left hand down the hill at which time I am back on the gas letting the car track all the way out to the right.

I have to say that many people do not track their car all the way to the right going down the hill.

My issue is I am letting up way too soon on the back straight and then braking way too soon and too much. I also do the same thing on the front straight. I did have a handful of 2:10 - 2:12 laps, but most were pretty much 2:15 lap after lap. I think with a few changes I can get below 2:10 and still feel in control. With only 4 tracks days at VIR I know I have plenty to learn.

Get notified of new replies

To what speed Vir esses

Old 07-10-2008, 08:48 AM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Wicked Weasel @ ECS;1566245221I have to say that many people do not track their car all the way to the right going down the hill. [/QUOTE]

That's because it takes a lot of ***** to commit yourself into a blind turn!

C5 Z06 should be capable of about 2:07 to 2:10 range on race rubber. I did 2:17 running in my old car with 120HP less than the Z06
Old 07-10-2008, 09:09 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by tmak26b
That's because it takes a lot of ***** to commit yourself into a blind turn!

C5 Z06 should be capable of about 2:07 to 2:10 range on race rubber. I did 2:17 running in my old car with 120HP less than the Z06

The sad part is last year with alot less hp I ran 2:13 laps more consistently. I think instructing this year slowed me down some. Many times I had people in the car so of course I kept the speed down, but when I was alone I never got into a good rhythm which we all know is essential for going fast.

By the time I did get in a good rhythm my R6s were done.

In the end it doesnt matter what my times were. I had fun just being out there and instructing people gave me a new found enjoyment. I know I have a long way to go to learn how to better communicate with students and to be not as nervous in the passenger seat, but I think with more time in the passenger seat I will get better at it.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
The sad part is last year with alot less hp I ran 2:13 laps more consistently. I think instructing this year slowed me down some. Many times I had people in the car so of course I kept the speed down, but when I was alone I never got into a good rhythm which we all know is essential for going fast.

By the time I did get in a good rhythm my R6s were done.

In the end it doesnt matter what my times were. I had fun just being out there and instructing people gave me a new found enjoyment. I know I have a long way to go to learn how to better communicate with students and to be not as nervous in the passenger seat, but I think with more time in the passenger seat I will get better at it.
I have a similar experience. I enjoy instructing a lot but it made me slower and more inconsistent. I guess after all those laps as a passenger that are off line and way slower than you would go, it seems to affect my perspective. It wasn't till the end of the second day that I finally started to feel normal again.

Quick Reply: what speed Vir esses