Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Few Questions - Seats, Harnesses, etc

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Few Questions - Seats, Harnesses, etc

I've read a lot of different opinions that have just left me somewhat confused, so looking to you experts for some further opinions / help.

Is it generally safe to run race seats with a 6 point harness tied to a harness bar in a base ( non Z06 ) C6 without a roll bar? I know that in the event of a rollover this could be trouble, but do the benefits of a 6 point harness and a HANS device outweigh the negatives of a possible rollover?

Also anyone have suggestions of race seats that are comfortable enough to spend an hour or two driving to and from the track? I pretty much only go to Sebring which is just 90 miles away so I don't bother trailering.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:17 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Has to be your own call. The odds are much more in favor of a 4 wheel on ground impact than a roll. In a non-roll crash I think the harnesses are potentially a big benefit when used in conjunction with neck restraint. As many have said, the stock corvette is reported to have decent roll protection within it's own structure. Being tied in during a roll with race seats & harnesses with no bar is something I don't think anyone here has actual experience with - it's all hypothetical. Many have experience with 4 wheel on ground impacts (me being a very recent example).
Old 07-10-2008, 11:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

I think a harness bar/6pt and race seat is better than OEM for track duty. Guys seem to really like the sparco evo for dual use cars. People hate the halo seats (sparco curcuit) for dual use cars because you can't see but they are excellent for trackduty. It is all a compromise. For not much more money and still boltin you can get a 4pt half cage and that would give you the rollover protection and a rear anchor for sidenets
Old 07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
wmk32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's about what i was expecting to hear. I have a little more concern with the glass panel roof than I would with a fixed roof like the Z has, but I think you're right. More than likely any impact will be shiny side up and since i'll only be doing hpde's if a rollover occurred it probably wouldn't be at any speeds that could create a serious problem. Knock on wood, of course.

Get notified of new replies

To A Few Questions - Seats, Harnesses, etc

Quick Reply: A Few Questions - Seats, Harnesses, etc