Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can 265/35/18 R888 fit in the front of a stock C6?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 09:22 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can 265/35/18 R888 fit in the front of a stock C6?

Just curious to see if I can fit 265/35/18 R888 on my C6. I want to see if I can replace my 255/35/18 with the ones that are one size larger. I want to have the extra front grip to eliminate some of the plow. I know this will fit on the rim, but want to see if anyone had rubbing issues with it.

Thanks
Old 07-12-2008, 10:06 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 295mm R888s on CCW C140s 18x11 up front. I had some minor rubbing both full lock and on the fender lip. -2deg front camber looks like it'll cure the fender lip, and some steering rack limiters should solve the full lock issues.

Not sure how applicable that is to 265mm on stock rims, but the 295mm on 11in stuck out well past the fenders with -1.something camber and it wasn't a big deal.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:17 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

on stock wheels i meant, different size rim makes big difference, also offset etc. thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 08:56 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I would like more front grip with my R888s as well -- the stock front wheel width is really a limiting factor.

Tom -- I've got the same R888s as you on stock wheels. Are you running stock camber settings? I've ordered a Hardbar camber kit to see if I can get more front cornering grip. In addition to lap times, my datalogger will be able to tell me what gains I get from that.

I really like the ease of driving to my local events with the R888s. Maybe next year I will need wider wheels with wider R888s. I just don't want the hassle of trailering the car.

Thanks, Bert
Old 07-13-2008, 07:56 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

Howdy Bert,

I am running the local events here in CT. Car is running good, but it tends to plow a lot at the slower corners and under high heat conditions. I am hoping the wider tires will help. For autox, you can squeeze the tire onto the rim, I guess it;s time for me to find some wheels on ebay for cheap. I have to stay stock as I want to keep my car 100% stock. The only thing I have is tires, and pads for track events..

For camber, I run mine at about 1.3 degrees. 1.3 degree will give you just enough to make your tires last a few more events on the track/autox and wont wear the inside of your tire for daily driving. Unlike a lot of people, I take my C6 out everyday. I have to do a lot of compromises. I dont think camber kits are allowed in stock class?

After fixing my brake problem, my car and I are finally coming together. For the forth straight events, I have finished in the top 5 overall and the car should have won one of the event. Against the Hoosiers and 710s, I really can't complain much. This car is going to be a nightmare at the big events without hoosiers, but for local events, it can still do okay. If the 265 works, it can be very benefical to the C6. I think the 255 R888 is the same width as the 245 run flats anyway.

Come down if you can!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi Tom,

I agree, with the rounded shoulders of the R888 255s compared to the square shoulders on the 245 runflats it is hard to tell if the 255s are any wider.

My setup is also a compromise as my C6 is my daily driver 9 months of the year. So the Hardbar setup where I can dial in and dial out camber when I change wheels to the R888s would be nice. There are several autocross clubs at Devens that do not have strict classes as it is more instructional with friendly competition so I can add the camber kit.

The dataloggers say I get about 1.2G with the R888s, where I was getting about 1.0G with the runflats. Although it is an improvement, I thought there'd be more. I datalogged a C5Z06 with Hoosier A6s that pulled 1.6G with peaks at 1.7Gs. With some camber, maybe I can get 1.3Gs of cornering force.

If you are interested in running up here, we set up 1.6-1.8 mile courses at Devens old airport. There are several events that still have slots open -- usually events are capped at 50-60 cars so we call can get eight runs or more. I'll be running at the events on Aug-23, 30; Sep 6, 13, 21; Oct 11, 25.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:21 PM
tmak26b
Burning Brakes

I havent really looked at any of the datalogs as the courses we have had here are pathetic, they are so small that I can barely get it out of first gear. As far as Gs go, I probably do the same as you except for a few spikes. I think I have spiked to 1.4G or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ol0DuSyyY

I am trying to compete for two SS class championships, so I will leave it the way it is. Plus I am as lazy as it gets, if it means I lose by .5 sec, so be it. I will force myself to drive faster to make it up.

I will put those on my calendar, its a 2.25 hour hike for me, so not sure if i can make it. If I find some free time, I will make sure i do so.
I can always use more competition.

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Hi Tom,

I agree, with the rounded shoulders of the R888 255s compared to the square shoulders on the 245 runflats it is hard to tell if the 255s are any wider.

My setup is also a compromise as my C6 is my daily driver 9 months of the year. So the Hardbar setup where I can dial in and dial out camber when I change wheels to the R888s would be nice. There are several autocross clubs at Devens that do not have strict classes as it is more instructional with friendly competition so I can add the camber kit.

The dataloggers say I get about 1.2G with the R888s, where I was getting about 1.0G with the runflats. Although it is an improvement, I thought there'd be more. I datalogged a C5Z06 with Hoosier A6s that pulled 1.6G with peaks at 1.7Gs. With some camber, maybe I can get 1.3Gs of cornering force.

If you are interested in running up here, we set up 1.6-1.8 mile courses at Devens old airport. There are several events that still have slots open -- usually events are capped at 50-60 cars so we call can get eight runs or more. I'll be running at the events on Aug-23, 30; Sep 6, 13, 21; Oct 11, 25.

Get notified of new replies

To Can 265/35/18 R888 fit in the front of a stock C6?

Quick Reply: Can 265/35/18 R888 fit in the front of a stock C6?