Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a c5.... z06 or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 03:43 AM
crashnscar
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying a c5.... z06 or not?

Hey guys,

I'm going to be buying a c5 vette pretty soon here and was wondering if it is worth it to buy a z06 or no? The z06 will be about $7k (maybe $8k) more than the regular c5 so I'm wondering if the money could be better spent by buying the non-z06 and modding it more than I would be able to on a z06 (due to $$).

I plan on doing time trials with it, and honestly do not know much about Corvettes but hope to soon. Thanks for the help.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:10 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by crashnscar
Hey guys,

I'm going to be buying a c5 vette pretty soon here and was wondering if it is worth it to buy a z06 or no? The z06 will be about $7k (maybe $8k) more than the regular c5 so I'm wondering if the money could be better spent by buying the non-z06 and modding it more than I would be able to on a z06 (due to $$).

I plan on doing time trials with it, and honestly do not know much about Corvettes but hope to soon. Thanks for the help.
if your going to road race time trials, all you have to do to a z06 is put slicks on it and you will beat 99% of competition , if you know how to do drive

but if you are not going to the track, get a non Z06, they are very nice for the $
Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

depends on how much you want to modify it, but 7K well spent could easily beat a stock Z and then some.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:32 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Lancer033
depends on how much you want to modify it, but 7K well spent could easily beat a stock Z and then some.
what year are you buying?
Old 07-14-2008, 09:10 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy a non-ZO6 then you need to get a FRC ('99 or '00) if you are going to track it.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

What year,etc??? Z06 is more then just a bigger motor.You'll never get the mod money back upon resale if you think that's ever going to be a possibility.Why not start w/the best you can get for the money and go from there!How much we talking here??You could be in 05-06 c6 territory.money wise.NEWER,BETTER just as quick.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:03 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

It's going to be a track machine.... full cage and all.
I'm willing to modify it as much as I can afford.

I'm not set on any particular year, other than it being a c5.

Why do you say FRC is necessary if I am going to track it? Simply because of the increased stiffness?

I am planning on gutting the car, doing a full cage, suspension work, then working on getting a little more power.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:16 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I am planning on gutting the car, doing a full cage, suspension work, then working on getting a little more power.
Hell,then you can get a FRC 99 or 2000 and do your thing.Save a little on purchase price,spend a little more in go fast goodies and safety.The cars were built for rigidity without the roof on.FRC- LIGHTWEIGHT.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Why do you say FRC is necessary if I am going to track it? Simply because of the increased stiffness?

Given the intent to build a track-specific car, you may be better off with a 99-00 FRC or even a 01 Z06. Assuming that you will be building an engine, the mentioned track-specific suspension, bigger brakes, race tires and wheels, etc., you can save money by looking for the 99-00 FRC.

The FRC body will be stiffer compared to a C5 coupe but the addition of a cage and possibly some additional bracing, that may even be a toss-up.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:55 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

FRC's that I have found are only about $2k cheaper than the 01 z06, so I'd probably rather do an 01 z06 at that point. I'm mainly asking between the non-frc c5 and the z06
Old 07-14-2008, 04:18 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that if you are going to completely make over the car you may want to go with the non-frc c5. You can ALWAYS duplicate or exceed the power, braking, weight, rigidity and handling of the Z with after market equipment on a non-frc c5. But what you get in addition, that you cant get with the Z (unless u wanna spend a whole lotta $$), is that non-frc body shape, which is a better design (performance wise) than the frc. We know its a better design because the C5R/C6R used it and the new Z06/ZR1 uses it. It has a naturally better weight distribution and is inherently more aerodynamic.

But if you don't plan on doing a total makeover and you want something that is superior, in many ways, right out the box, then get the Z. As mentioned before adding good pads/fluid, sway bars, tires and a good driver...hardly anything will touch it.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:22 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

You might also consider searching for C5's that have already been converted. I've seen some REALLY GREAT turn-key C5's for sale that may wind up saving you money in the long run.

Good Luck!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at the rules of the org you want to TT with.

careful with mods or you will quickly put yourself in a non-competitive class without big $$$.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:35 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Default Is it going to be street driven, or a trailered track car?

If you're going to put it on a trailer, check for some used T1 cars. Ready to go, all the safety gear, suspension, etc. I bet you'll come out cheaper than buying a car and purchasing all the goodies, even if you put in the labor.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

buy some thing made it is cheaper Pheonix may have some thing. If going to do it all yourself get a coupe better aero. If you go to build your own I would bet you will leave items out of the budget or not have enough in. Ready made car is done and you see it all along with it's performance
Old 07-14-2008, 05:55 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
buy some thing made it is cheaper Pheonix may have some thing. If going to do it all yourself get a coupe better aero. If you go to build your own I would bet you will leave items out of the budget or not have enough in. Ready made car is done and you see it all along with it's performance
Yeah, AJ's T1 car for $85K.

Last year all the C5Z T1 cars were being unloaded for about $30K as the rules moved toward the C6. However I've heard horror stories about the LS3 motor so some people have decided to hold on to the C5 cars for awhile longer...

That said, buying a built car can still save a lot of time, money, and headache over building one from a street car.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:44 PM
crashnscar
Instructor

I would love to find a pre-built z06, but can't spend 85k.

$30k is do-able for a t1, do you currently know of any?

I can get a c5 for about 13k, a c5 frc for 18k, and a c5 z06 for 20k.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a c5.... z06 or not?

Old 07-14-2008, 07:56 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Back when I was tracking a Mustang Cobra I pitted next to a Corvette c-5 z06. Nice guy who told me all about the car. He told me he replaced almost every part that made it a zo6 so advised me to get a non z06 corvette.

A few months late I came across an article in Grass Roots Motorsports titled "Plastic explosion". It was a series of articles about purchasing a FRC and setting it up for AutoCross.

I got the bug and found a 00 FRC for $17,500 (9-27-07). I found parts on this forum so I have zo6 shocks, and springs, I also found Hodgkis(sp) sway bars. I did add urethane bushings and nitto NTO1's, and brake ducks. Well they are really ducts but since I fabricated them myself using c-6 zo6 parts (via this forum) I call them ducks since I only paid $35 for them. Oh and a Vararam air intake. So maybe I have an extra $2,500 in the car. yea and some take off 90% Hawk blue pads.

The car is a blast stops on a dime and I have yet pushed it to the point of breaking away. I miss he brute power of the Mustang but at my last outing at Sebring I beat my best Mustang lap time by 3 seconds.

So my advice get the cheapest FRC you can find and strip it down and build it up for your intended prupose.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As others have said, look for one that's already built. If not and you're going to mod it and put a cage in it, buy the cheapest one you can find. The slightly stiffer chassis of a FRC will be offset by the cage and you'll have better aero with a coupe. Although the FRC's were originally less money to start with, you may still find a better deal on one of those but they're harder to find because they were not popular. jmho
Old 07-14-2008, 08:38 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
However I've heard horror stories about the LS3 motor so some people have decided to hold on to the C5 cars for awhile longer...
This is the first I've heard of this. I searched C6 Tech but couldn't find anything. Have a link?

Quick Reply: Buying a c5.... z06 or not?