Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 12:20 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs

looking for testing data and/or feedback comparison of these coil-overs.
I would like to put these on a 97 C5 for track use only.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:23 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 9707vette
looking for testing data and/or feedback comparison of these coil-overs.
I would like to put these on a 97 C5 for track use only.
Search this forum. There are a bunch of threads, opinions and even some interesting videos.

Old 07-14-2008, 03:13 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can't speak for Pdfat, but I have the LG's since Feb and there are simply amazing. Honestly a little stiff for street only duty, but great for a track car. It has taken my already amazing C6Z06 to a whole new level. Include in your research the quality of the parts of which they are made and not just performance figures.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:26 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Like my PFADT's. Only on 6 mos. Nice feature is 16 adjustments for street to track settings. AutoX'd them 1st time past Sunday and they are terrific!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
can't speak for Pdfat, but I have the LG's since Feb and there are simply amazing. Honestly a little stiff for street only duty, but great for a track car. It has taken my already amazing C6Z06 to a whole new level. Include in your research the quality of the parts of which they are made and not just performance figures.
What spring rate F/R: 700 lbs / 600 lbs?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:03 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Pfadt are only adjustable one way correct?

Personally for track only LGM or any use at least you know who made them. Steel bodies will rust also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-15-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:47 AM
Lancer033
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 95jersey

but I like them on the street, maybe I'm a little
Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

We can set you up with Penskes for not much more.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Pfadt are only adjustable one way correct?

Personally for track only LGM or any use at least you know who made them. Steel bodies will rust also.
^^They are single adjustable, but adjustment controls both bump and droop. There is some set ratio between the two.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by ghoffman
We can set you up with Penskes for not much more.
The Penske 8300's on your website are shown with coilover springs attached but the description states that they are not included for the price.

What is the cost for an 8300 coilover setup?

Thank you
Old 07-15-2008, 10:52 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I have set multiple cars up with each set-up and I think it comes down to personal preferance.
Would you rather be tinkering with the suspension or just set it and leave it. With the LG set-up you install it and leave it, no adjusting the shock settings, just work on your driving.
With the Pfadt set-up you do have adjustability so you will have to find your happy spot. It is nice to be able to go between track and street settings but as you said you're going to be using it on the track so that probably won't be needed.
So do you want to do the adjustment or have it done for you? Basically that's what it comes down to.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:57 AM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you dont want to worry about setting up/dialing in your shocks, then go with LG since they have already done that homework for you. I have them, with the T1 bars and they handle fantastically on the track. At Road Atlanta I run a consistent 1:35 on 2 yr old toyos, and I attribute allot of that to the LG setup.

If you are really serious about racing and want to get into playing with settings and adjusting your own shocks, then spend the extra money and get Moton.

There are many people who I know, in pca and some in nasa, who run/ran Penske and who have changed to Moton due to the inability to dial them in properly. I will admit Penskes used to be considered the sh*t, but guys just couldnt get that jaw dropping laptime out of them for whatever reason. Now most guys I talk to are considering Moton, Leda, JRZ (Moton offspring), etc. Very rarely do I hear about Penske anymore.

I will use Reese *** as an example since you have heard of him... he used to have penske and was doing about 1:30 at road atlanta a year or so ago, and switched to moton and has done a 1:27 since then, along with a 1:31 at barber (two pretty impressive times). I am sure that is not the only contributing factor to that, but I would assume it played a big part.

When I get the money I will ditch the LGs and be going to Moton as well.

Penske, Moton, LG, Pfadt, or anything for that matter can work and can produce a "great" feeling (especially when compared to a leafspring suspension), but always remember "Fast is relative".

Last edited by throwit; 07-15-2008 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by Lancer033
but I like them on the street, maybe I'm a little
What spring rate F/R: 700 lbs / 600 lbs? You can PM me if you'd rather not post the info. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:03 PM
9707vette
Advanced

Default spin my head some more

thanks for all the input guys. i was getting closer to a decision when i spoke to a member who threw callaway/eibach into the mix. he uses a true eibach coilover (not the system that retains the leaf) w/ spring rates of 700/800. he says the callaway has indipendent adjustment for compression and rebound (the disadvantage to pfadt). what do you think? i wsh my wheels could spin as fast as my head!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

I'd throw on LGs or DRMs and a set of T1 bars, have the ride height, corner weights, and allignment set and forget about it all.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:42 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Coil overs

I have the Pfadt's and are very happy with them. They have 16 clicks of adjustment which adjust both dampening and compression (makes it a lot easier to have an engineer figure out the proper relationship). When matched with the sways I find easy to use and almost infinite adjustments.

No matter which you choose, talk to the manufacturer or distributor and explain how you want to use your car, your setup and most all the vendors on the forum will be more than helpful in getting you the correct information and lessen your learning curve. I have spoken to most of them and no matter who it has been they have all been very helpful (Aaron, Gary, Louis, Randy etc.).
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

one set of Pfadts tested at 600 rear and 500 front for the spring rates the person who had them tested told me. They have no mark on the springs like Hyperco or other good springs.

In a recent shock test posted here I suspect that the "A" plots are Pfadts and "B" are "LG" just a real good hunch I would take to my bank without fear.

And who makes the any of the shocks would be another concern I would have when spending thousands. You know how fast steel rust under a car? Bilstein is not going any where any time soon or Penske with all his money. Who is more successful in racing than Penske over a multitude of years?

See what used Penskes sell for here in this section? Then they are gone in one day with no cut in price. Kind of like selling gold it has a price and brings the money no questions ask. I will go with the Penskes this winter and if I want I can make them coilovers and dump my leafs 1200/900. Get my Bilsteins shocks dynoed and the Penskes set the same way as a starting point.

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-15-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs

Old 07-15-2008, 06:59 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot
The Penske 8300's on your website are shown with coilover springs attached but the description states that they are not included for the price.

What is the cost for an 8300 coilover setup?

Thank you
The 8300 is a very sophisticated shock, and is easily the best double on the market bar none. The bump is velocity sensitive and when you turn the **** on the canister what you are doing is increasing or decreasing the preload in the center of a shim stack that deflects depending on the velocity. Others may be "double adjustable" but are no where near the 8300 (even the previous Penske 8100). The 8300's with all of our new stuff, like billet rebound clicker adjusters front and rear that allow changes on the car, clevis upper mounts (for "body up" mounting) for minimum friction and unsprung weight and easy hose routing (don't even consider a shock with a hose that has the body down, the hose routing is problematic), 17-4 PH alloy front "T" bar, Acme threads on the shock body for easy spring height adjustment, synthetic oil, etc are $850 each and the dual rate Hyperco setup is $200 a corner. We can save $300 a shock (550) each for the non adjustables. Simply the best, we have dyno'ed and used them all.

Last edited by ghoffman; 07-15-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:32 PM
throwit
Drifting

Leh Keen: 1:21.8 Road Atlanta (PCA) - Moton
Reese ***: 1:27.0 Road Atlanta (NASA SU) - Moton
David White: 1:33.6 Road Atlanta (NASA GTS3 11:1 power to weight) - JRZ
Randy Mueller: 1:33.7 Mid Ohio (NASA GTS3 11:1 power to weight) 2007 NASA National Champion - JRZ

Please read up on those lap times and realize how truly impressive they are, if you dont already know. I am not sure exactly what you base your judgement of a great coilover on, but I would hope its on performance/results and not "a name".

Million dollar teams who run VERY high dollar coilovers and have endless time and money to devote to setting them up is not very realistic. Go with what is working and winning races, not HPDE or Street Wars.

Fast is Relative.

Sophistication/Complexity/Intricacy doesn't always equate to performance. The engine in my Audi is far more sophisticated than in my Z, but performance...
Old 07-15-2008, 10:43 PM
jkittleson
Racer

Like stated before, you can go fast with any of the mentioned coilover setups. Consider them a tool. They are only as good as the application.

I have a friend that purchased Phadts setup, and has been very pleased.

I ordered the Hardbar 8300's for a couple of reasons. Gary was a pleasure to deal with on the phone, and doesn't try to hide anything. He personally tests his setups, and also dyno's "every" shock. While I'm sure his initial settings are very close, I have plenty of adjustment to work with, and if I'm still not happy, or my application requires something unique, he will revalve for free. The product is expensive, but in the grand scheme, I belive the complete package is very reasonable.

Quick Reply: LG G2 Coil-overs vs. Pfadt coil-overs